Car shopping

Never buy new.

I've had good luck buying new. For good resale, you have to buy a car that people looking for a well-used car actually like.

I bought a '98 Mustang new for $20k, sold it after 40,000 miles for $13k. Second owner would have to drive it almost twice as far to achieve the same value, and I got to drive a brand new car.

My '12 Jeep was $44k, sold it after 174k miles for $10k. Second owner would have to drive it 51k miles....

Last edited:
I've had good luck buying new. For good resale, you have to buy a car that people looking for a well-used car actually like.

I bought a '98 Mustang new for $20k, sold it after 40,000 miles for $13k. Second owner would have to drive it almost twice as far to achieve the same value, and I got to drive a brand new car.

My '12 Jeep was $44k, sold it after 174k miles for $10k. Second owner would have to drive it 51k miles....

Both my Vette and 550 was Ordered ...

Waited 8 months for the Vette and 5 for the BMW ...

I was in no hurry and I ordered exactly what I wanted.

Both my Vette and 550 was Ordered ...

Waited 8 months for the Vette and 5 for the BMW ...

I was in no hurry and I ordered exactly what I wanted.

Winter's coming up and I needed a new set of tires on the Jeep, so I saved $800 there...

After nearly 7 years and over 175k miles its time for a change to my daily driver. Currently a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. It still looks great, runs great, I just want something a little more nimble and sportier, but still with the high end luxury. I still can't do a sedan because I routinely haul bulky stuff. I need 4WD.

My don't want list includes:
  • No Asian vehicles. I just think they are chic cars.
  • No FWD platforms. Too difficult to service.

My wants:
  • Luxury interior comparable or better than the Jeep.
  • Quiet highway ride.
  • Power/ weight ratio at least 7HP/100#
  • Decent gas mileage.

On my list:
  • Porsche Maccan S (too much money)
  • Mini Clubman JCW (price is right, p/w lower that I'd like)
  • MB GLC 43
  • Jag F-Pace S
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (too much money, gas guzzler)

Wtf cares.

Back