Car shopping

They are nice, as is the Audi Q5. No doubt Porsche makes some fine automobiles. A friend has a GT3 RS, it's quite a car...

I drove a Q5 equipped at $60k and didn't like it nearly as much as the A7. The A7 equipped at $80k was so much more impressive, but my wife flipped when she saw the price. Two days after that I drove the base Macan, probably the same platform as the Q5, but it felt a lot more solid (still not as solid as the A7, but damn close).

My impression of the Macan is a like driving a brick- solid as heck, but yet nimble and quick.

The Q5 is actually faster than the Macan in the 1/4 mile. Probably weighs less.

I don't ever see myself in a 911, especially a hyper expensive one like the GT models. I like the Cayman though- maybe my wife's next car...

I drove a Q5 equipped at $60k and didn't like it nearly as much as the A7. The A7 equipped at $80k was so much more impressive, but my wife flipped when she saw the price. Two days after that I drove the base Macan, probably the same platform as the Q5, but it felt a lot more solid (still not as solid as the A7, but damn close).

My impression of the Macan is a like driving a brick- solid as heck, but yet nimble and quick.

The Q5 is actually faster than the Macan in the 1/4 mile. Probably weighs less.

I don't ever see myself in a 911, especially a hyper expensive one like the GT models. I like the Cayman though- maybe my wife's next car...

Yes, the price difference is why I didn't mention the A7. I ride along with my friend when he takes his Porsche to the Porsche/Audi dealership for maintenance every spring so we have a chance to see what's new. A BMW/Mercedes dealership is next door and we check out what they have to offer as well. I think the Porsche is a nice SUV, as is the Q5 and Q7 but I didn't test drive any of them.
When I went searching for an SUV, I wasn't looking for luxury, just simple and reliable transportation for $35k or less. I settled on the Hyundai because of the 10 yr/100,000 warranty and I got a good deal on it.

Just like the 911 GT's and my Cobra, the Cayman (I'm sure you know) is a sports car. Not the most comfortable, smooth riding or well equipped (my Cobra doesn't have a top or even a glove box!) car on the road, but they handle great and are fun to drive. If it's for the wife, make sure she takes it for a long enough test drive to get a feel for it because, well face it, most women aren't automobile aficionados. My GF says she'd never want to drive my Cobra (not that I'd let her) and bitched when I spent the money on it, but I didn't buy it for her anyway.;)

Yes, the price difference is why I didn't mention the A7. I ride along with my friend when he takes his Porsche to the Porsche/Audi dealership for maintenance every spring so we have a chance to see what's new. A BMW/Mercedes dealership is next door and we check out what they have to offer as well. I think the Porsche is a nice SUV, as is the Q5 and Q7 but I didn't test drive any of them.
When I went searching for an SUV, I wasn't looking for luxury, just simple and reliable transportation for $35k or less. I settled on the Hyundai because of the 10 yr/100,000 warranty and I got a good deal on it.

Just like the 911 GT's and my Cobra, the Cayman (I'm sure you know) is a sports car. Not the most comfortable, smooth riding or well equipped (my Cobra doesn't have a top or even a glove box!) car on the road, but they handle great and are fun to drive. If it's for the wife, make sure she takes it for a long enough test drive to get a feel for it because, well face it, most women aren't automobile aficionados. My GF says she'd never want to drive my Cobra (not that I'd let her) and bitched when I spent the money on it, but I didn't buy it for her anyway.;)

I am aware of the Cayman's rep for a harsh ride but was hoping that the base model would be tamer, plusher. The one I saw in the showroom looked comfy inside.

I am aware of the Cayman's rep for a harsh ride but was hoping that the base model would be tamer, plusher. The one I saw in the showroom looked comfy inside.

I can't speak for the Cayman, but my friend's GT3 is difficult to get in and out of. You sit low and the seat pretty much wraps around you. Once in, it isn't bad though.

I can't speak for the Cayman, but my friend's GT3 is difficult to get in and out of. You sit low and the seat pretty much wraps around you. Once in, it isn't bad though.

My wife's only 5'-5", slender and flexible, so that doesn't concern me.

My wife's only 5'-5", slender and flexible, so that doesn't concern me.

It could concern her though, especially if she drives it everyday.
As much as I like to drive my Cobra, I surely wouldn't want to drive it everyday.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a25603385/10best-trucks-suvs-2019/#10bestts2019porsche

There's a simple reason Porsche's incumbent Macan is once again our choice as the Best Compact Luxury SUV: It presents the best set of compromises, and we think that's a good thing. The foundation of this position is that we will always see SUVs as utility vehicles and not pure driving partners. So the Macan's provocative fusion of capability, control feel, and sensible comfort wins our hearts—even in the presence of Alfa Romeo's gonzo 505-hp Stelvio Quadrifoglio.

Chief among those traits is that Porsche avoids the common mistake many manufacturers make when engineering an SUV that handles: neck-snapping stiffness. Driving most Macan competitors energetically is a violent exercise in head toss, the unsettling lateral jerk produced when a tall, stiff vehicle rotates quickly. But the Macan is supple, and rather than muscling physics into submission, it endears itself to the surface and hoovers down the road with self-assured compliance, its seven-speed dual-clutch transmission obediently shuffling the gears. In the Macan, driving composure is built in rather than built on.

:kipyes:

After nearly 7 years and over 175k miles its time for a change to my daily driver. Currently a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. It still looks great, runs great, I just want something a little more nimble and sportier, but still with the high end luxury. I still can't do a sedan because I routinely haul bulky stuff. I need 4WD.

My don't want list includes:
  • No Asian vehicles. I just think they are chic cars.
  • No FWD platforms. Too difficult to service.

My wants:
  • Luxury interior comparable or better than the Jeep.
  • Quiet highway ride.
  • Power/ weight ratio at least 7HP/100#
  • Decent gas mileage.

On my list:
  • Porsche Maccan S (too much money)
  • Mini Clubman JCW (price is right, p/w lower that I'd like)
  • MB GLC 43
  • Jag F-Pace S
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (too much money, gas guzzler)

Dodge Ram 2500 4X4.

I had an Expedition a while back. Too frickin' big.

But safe and intimidating.
hvHrBgd.jpg

After nearly 7 years and over 175k miles its time for a change to my daily driver. Currently a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. It still looks great, runs great, I just want something a little more nimble and sportier, but still with the high end luxury. I still can't do a sedan because I routinely haul bulky stuff. I need 4WD.

My don't want list includes:
  • No Asian vehicles. I just think they are chic cars.
  • No FWD platforms. Too difficult to service.

My wants:
  • Luxury interior comparable or better than the Jeep.
  • Quiet highway ride.
  • Power/ weight ratio at least 7HP/100#
  • Decent gas mileage.

On my list:
  • Porsche Maccan S (too much money)
  • Mini Clubman JCW (price is right, p/w lower that I'd like)
  • MB GLC 43
  • Jag F-Pace S
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (too much money, gas guzzler)

Why not just google it then go test drive some at a dealership?

We are never going to know what feels good to you.

Back