Car shopping

Got the Title in the mail the other day. Already have 13k miles on her.

You must be on the road a lot. I only have 8k on my 2017 that I bought in the spring of 2017. I have 11k on my Cobra (but it was built in 2002).

It's been 6 months and I have 18,600 miles on the Macan. I've decided to do oil changes at 1/2 the recommended interval, meaning that I have done three so far. The filters cost me about $8 at Rock Auto, and a 5 quart bottle of Mobil One 0W-30 or 5W-30 is about $25 at Walmart. I invested in a MityVac 8 quart system that uses a catheter down the dipstick tube to remove the old oil, $105 on Amazon. Out of a 5 quart pan I get about 4.6 to 4.7 out of it.

The engine has electronic oil measurement so there is no dip stick. I purchased a genuine VW stick on Amazon for $15.

So my first oil change cost me $153. The dealer charges $400. Not to mention my time savings: drive back and forth, wait, blah blah.... Subsequent changes are $33.

The dipstick tube, filter cover and fill port are all within 12" of each other at the front of the engine. I barely have to lean over never mind get on the ground and under the car. Oil changes take me about 20 minutes, and that includes transferring the old oil into the containers for recycling at the County facility.

Without the MityVac system I'd have to lift the front end, remove a large plastic aerodynamic shield under the car, something like 15 fasteners. Then get to the drain plug which is plastic and presumably not able to be reused. Purchased in bulk, they are a few dollars a piece. I'm not really sure as I have not bought one to change the oil that way.

Huge, and I mean huge advantage of this model over others is that the hood is wide, reaching down to half the front tire height and opens up to expose a vast acreage for access. And since the compartment is large enough for a 3.6L V6 with twin turbos and mine is a 2.0L I4 with a single turbo, I have clear access to all four sides of the engine. Porsche has no problem with front end weight bias so the engine is located in the center of the bay, not tucked way back under the windshield as is the fashion in many brands. Pull the plastic cover off the top and I have top access to the plugs, injectors, valve covers, and several sensors. Since it is a RWD setup (with AWD transfer case) the engine is oriented correctly, not sideways, meaning that I have clear and easy access to the belt driven accessories. It really is a mechanic's dream car.

I will likely never take the car to the dealer or a mechanic. I tossed my free oil change coupon in the trash.

I installed a RaceChip, made in Germany, about three months ago. It adds about 20% HP and torque by fooling the turbo controls. So my factory 252 is now over 300 set to "sport" mode. "Race" mode adds another 10%, and I haven't bothered to use it.

On the downside I have to use premium fuel. That's with or without the chip. I average about 26 mpg.

I enjoy using the SPORT and SPORT PLUS buttons on the console. These change the transmission shift points, stiffen the shocks, drop the suspension, and open up the exhaust. Hit that second button before pulling out to pass someone on a two-lane and hang on. The sound is amazing inside the cabin. I can only imagine what it sounds like to the guy being passed.

The PDK transmission is the best in the world. Shifts are in milliseconds which works extremely well to eliminate turbo lag in every situation except off the line. It's really a dog for the first ten feet. You have to be careful pulling into traffic from a side street left turn, because the car will "granny" for ten feet, then if you have too much throttle, rocket ahead as you turn. Except for that situation up and down shifts are precise and predictable. And there is a manual mode with the console shifter or steering wheel mounted paddles.

Overall I an super pleased with this car and definitely don't feel the need to upgrade to one of the bigger engine options. The maintenance ease issues far outweigh any advantage in ability to break speed laws that much faster.

I've been thinking about getting one of these. It'd have to be used, but the low mileage ones go for $40 to $50,000 which isn't too bad. There are incredibly fun to drive and get wicked good gas mileage on the order of 40+ mpg.

IMG_795-large.jpg

After nearly 7 years and over 175k miles its time for a change to my daily driver. Currently a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. It still looks great, runs great, I just want something a little more nimble and sportier, but still with the high end luxury. I still can't do a sedan because I routinely haul bulky stuff. I need 4WD.

My don't want list includes:
  • No Asian vehicles. I just think they are chic cars.
  • No FWD platforms. Too difficult to service.

My wants:
  • Luxury interior comparable or better than the Jeep.
  • Quiet highway ride.
  • Power/ weight ratio at least 7HP/100#
  • Decent gas mileage.

On my list:
  • Porsche Maccan S (too much money)
  • Mini Clubman JCW (price is right, p/w lower that I'd like)
  • MB GLC 43
  • Jag F-Pace S
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (too much money, gas guzzler)

MB are nice enough, my brother favors them.
You dont want an english car. Beauty is only skin deep.
Should revisit Lexus, Steer clear of Infinity, Mitsubishi &Acura. And all Korean.
Theres a reason nobody buys Porsche.

MB are nice enough, my brother favors them.
You dont want an english car. Beauty is only skin deep.
Should revisit Lexus, Steer clear of Infinity, Mitsubishi &Acura. And all Korean.
Theres a reason nobody buys Porsche.

I'm very happy with the Macan. Coming up on two years and just about to pass the 50k mile mark.

I did the 40k service myself, which is extensive. Dealers charge a lot. Mine cost me maybe $300 in parts/ fluids. It was very easy. This car is basically built like a tractor with regards to access of components. Take off a shield and the part is right there, accessible by common tools. Changing spark plugs was 1/10 the job of changing them on my Jeep.

Back