Car shopping

After nearly 7 years and over 175k miles its time for a change to my daily driver. Currently a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. It still looks great, runs great, I just want something a little more nimble and sportier, but still with the high end luxury. I still can't do a sedan because I routinely haul bulky stuff. I need 4WD.

My don't want list includes:
  • No Asian vehicles. I just think they are chic cars.
  • No FWD platforms. Too difficult to service.

My wants:
  • Luxury interior comparable or better than the Jeep.
  • Quiet highway ride.
  • Power/ weight ratio at least 7HP/100#
  • Decent gas mileage.

On my list:
  • Porsche Maccan S (too much money)
  • Mini Clubman JCW (price is right, p/w lower that I'd like)
  • MB GLC 43
  • Jag F-Pace S
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (too much money, gas guzzler)

Real men drive 4WD gas guzzling smog belching pick ups, with leather seats and all the bells and whistles. :laugh:

Okay. :)

That's all good on paper, but with Mopar products major components fall apart like Chevy vent louvers and door handles do.

Maybe according to Consumer Distorts, but my last vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ran perfectly for 175k miles before I traded it in. The paint was still super glossy and the interior leather perfect. And one of my best friends is still driving it. The only non-scheduled service was changing an alternator, and CryCo paid me for the part.

My beef with the Challenger was the lousy interior.

Maybe according to Consumer Distorts, but my last vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ran perfectly for 175k miles before I traded it in. The paint was still super glossy and the interior leather perfect. And one of my best friends is still driving it. The only non-scheduled service was changing an alternator, and CryCo paid me for the part.

My beef with the Challenger was the lousy interior.

They say the Jeep section is better. I'm going by real-life happenings.

They say the Jeep section is better. I'm going by real-life happenings.

"They" say a lot of things. However Jeep used to be shitty until ChryCo took them over. And the chassis, subframes and many components are the same or similar in the GC, Charger/300, and Challenger.

"They" say a lot of things. However Jeep used to be shitty until ChryCo took them over. And the chassis, subframes and many components are the same or similar in the GC, Charger/300, and Challenger.

My limited spectrum is people with their trucks. Mostly major bad things happening.

Computer fail, transmission, head.

My limited spectrum is people with their trucks. Mostly major bad things happening.

Computer fail, transmission, head.

Lots of people don't maintain their vehicles properly and don't pay attention to the tell tale signs of something going wrong. For example, an alternator going bad can ruin electric motors along with the computer. THat happened with my '81 Corvette. The PO replaced a bad 85 amp alternator with a 37 amp unit. That burned out the drivers side window motor and the passenger side door lock actuator. Then it took out the ECU. That made the carb run full rich which clogged the catalytic convertor...

Not warming up the engine before driving it hard is another. Oil needs to be at 212F before you should rev the engine past 2500 RPM. Oil temp lags behind coolant temperature significantly, but few people know that, and few vehicles even have dash gauges for it.

Back