Change???

Ironically, other than the outcome, it is really not much different. We defied the King of England, and declared Constitutional independence from our government. We were rebels in the Revolution.

Not all rebellions are right, but they are all treasonous. It's extreme doublespeak to say that southern women and children should have been brutally slaughtered by bloodthirsty subhuman barbarians like Socrates (who is a shitstain on the name he stole from the philosopher), and not say it should've justly happened to the Americans also.

Uh, let me think-NO!

Unlike the Swastika and Hammer & 'Popsicle', Americans died fighting under my flag. There is nothing more patriotic than paying tribute to Americans who died in war. Besides, it gives me good insight into who is judging me by symbols or stereotypes, rather than content of my character. I have found that people who judge me by my moniker or avatar, are not capable of judging me by my character, they are bigoted in their view based on a prejudice they have.

No, they were Confederates. We don't call Canadians or Mexicans "Americans," so you can be damn certain I am not going to call those shitheads Americans. Clearly if you fly the Southern Swastika you have no character, so the argument is pointless. I have no respect for the fools and traitors who fought for the Confederacy.

Lets be clear here. That flag was the battle flag, not the national flag, of the Confederacy. It symbolizes "death to Americans" the same as Al Queda propaganda does today. Being an Airman, its offensive because men who wore the uniform of the USA, like me today, were killed and maimed by the barers of that flag.

Fuck You.

Don't you mean that traitors died fighting against their country? I thought you were a patriot Dixie? None of my ancestors were Traitors.....though my great, great, great, great uncle was hanged for stealing a horse.

Coincidentally my ancestors from Slovenia had to flee the country because they were horse theves :clink:

And ironically, they wound up marrying into a Czech family who had been circus performers, and whose livelihood depended on horses! Great stuff.

No, they were Confederates. We don't call Canadians or Mexicans "Americans," so you can be damn certain I am not going to call those shitheads Americans. Clearly if you fly the Southern Swastika you have no character, so the argument is pointless. I have no respect for the fools and traitors who fought for the Confederacy.

Lets be clear here. That flag was the battle flag, not the national flag, of the Confederacy. It symbolizes "death to Americans" the same as Al Queda propaganda does today. Being an Airman, its offensive because men who wore the uniform of the USA, like me today, were killed and maimed by the barers of that flag.

Fuck You.

Americans were killed by bearers of the British flag. And more by the German flag. I love the British and the Germans. I hate nationalism.

Fuck You.

We don't call Mexicans and Canadians Americans because they are not a part of our nation. I would venture to say, if we ever make them a part of the US, we will not require them to destroy their battle flags which honor their dead soldiers, I think we even allowed Japan to display the Rising Sun flag to honor their dead kamikazes.

Unlike any other war in our history, the Civil War was a civil war... hence, the name! The men who died in it, were ALL from this country! They were ALL Americans! They ALL had ancestors which fought for our freedoms from England, and ironically, very few of them ever even owned a slave. Most of the Southern forces were farm boys, sent to defend their homes and families. They had no voice in the post-war political issue of slavery, or anything else, they were just poor farm boys defending their home and way of life. They were as American as you and I, and their deaths were no less heroic than any other American who has fought and died in battle. Revisionist history, doesn't change the truth. The Confederate ideology was defeated by Federalists, but the Constitutional issue of states rights, which the Civil War was fought over, still prevails to this day.

You may not like it, but the Confederates were exercising their Constitutional rights to rebel against a government that sought to take away their rights granted in the Constitution. That, is not "Treason" by any stretch of the word.

lets not forget the whiskey rebellion.
Unfair taxation was demanded in money from people who had no money and used the barter system instead. George washington father of fiat currency.

We don't call Mexicans and Canadians Americans because they are not a part of our nation. I would venture to say, if we ever make them a part of the US, we will not require them to destroy their battle flags which honor their dead soldiers, I think we even allowed Japan to display the Rising Sun flag to honor their dead kamikazes.

Unlike any other war in our history, the Civil War was a civil war... hence, the name! The men who died in it, were ALL from this country! They were ALL Americans! They ALL had ancestors which fought for our freedoms from England, and ironically, very few of them ever even owned a slave. Most of the Southern forces were farm boys, sent to defend their homes and families. They had no voice in the post-war political issue of slavery, or anything else, they were just poor farm boys defending their home and way of life. They were as American as you and I, and their deaths were no less heroic than any other American who has fought and died in battle. Revisionist history, doesn't change the truth. The Confederate ideology was defeated by Federalists, but the Constitutional issue of states rights, which the Civil War was fought over, still prevails to this day.

You may not like it, but the Confederates were exercising their Constitutional rights to rebel against a government that sought to take away their rights granted in the Constitution. That, is not "Treason" by any stretch of the word.

1) Go back and study your geography, America is the name of two continents plus Central America.

2) The Civil War is a misleading name. Both sides were not fighting for control of DC, the Confederates had a capital in Richmond. Secondly, fighting against the US Constitution is treasonous for a former citizen to do, I don't care what your ancestors did for it.

3) The issue of federalism continued to only get worse, and with the passage of the 17th Amendment it really crumbled. Only in the last 20 years have we really begun to recover it.

4) The only people whose rights were being denied were the black slaves. Or had the South been persecuting itself for the 60 years from 1801-1861 in which it almost always controlled DC? It had been screwing up the country at any rate, and it ran away at the first sign of morality, free markets, and federalism.

Oh, I should also like to point out that many Southerners did not own slaves in 1861 because it was roughly the cost of buying a house today. Most young and poor people do not own houses, but if you ask them, they will tell you that they "plan to" own one someday. Such was the case for those noble peasants you spoke of, Dixie...

1) Go back and study your geography, America is the name of two continents plus Central America.

See YY's post about "context" please. We are discussing the AMERICAN Civil War! Like the AMERICAN way of life, and any number of other things we 'United States of' AMERICANS stick that tag on!

2) The Civil War is a misleading name. Both sides were not fighting for control of DC, the Confederates had a capital in Richmond. Secondly, fighting against the US Constitution is treasonous for a former citizen to do, I don't care what your ancestors did for it.

Damn straight it's a misleading term, it's an oxymoron. Wars are not Civil. The Confederate States of America were formed in rebellion to the United States tyranny, just as the United States were formed in rebellion to the English tyranny, and as was permitted and allowed for in the foundation of the Constitution itself. They were not fighting against the Constitution as much as the usurped power of a central Federal government, which violated the Constitution, and in such cases, the Constitution calls for a rebellion of the people. They weren't committing treason, they were following orders.

3) The issue of federalism continued to only get worse, and with the passage of the 17th Amendment it really crumbled. Only in the last 20 years have we really begun to recover it.

Yes, and the issue is still alive today, but this was the issue the Civil War was fought over, by everyday red-blooded AMERICANS on both sides. We can look back in hindsight and cast judgment on them for something they had nothing to do with, or we can understand they were regular Americans fighting for their Constitutional rights and freedoms, on both sides!

4) The only people whose rights were being denied were the black slaves. Or had the South been persecuting itself for the 60 years from 1801-1861 in which it almost always controlled DC? It had been screwing up the country at any rate, and it ran away at the first sign of morality, free markets, and federalism.

You are so full of shit it isn't funny. The Civil War had absolutely NOTHING to do with civil rights for black people, you goofball. It took another 100 years for that to take place, and in fact, most Abolitionists favored sending all blacks back to where they came from in Africa, rather than "mix" with them in society. 1861 America (North and South) was a staunchly racist place by today's standards, and to fool yourself into thinking it was some great liberal racial equality cause, is laughable to me. It's probably downright offensive to some black people.

There were a number of economic issues the Federal Government would simply not address or consider. It wanted to abolish slavery, but had no solution as to how this should be done with regard to the law abiding and legitimate companies which used constitutionally legal and legitimate slaves. Remember that slavery was legal, and was constitutional, there was nothing illegal or perceived by most of society as being wrong with it. The North did not have plantation slaves, they were in the agricultural south, where plantations are found. In the North, they were servants, mammies, carriage drivers, but they were not free people. As I said, that took another century.

The root of the problem was States Rights, and whether the Federal government had the right to dictate what state laws were. Up until that time, it was considered the fundamental principle of our government, to allow states the right to determine what is best for their people, as the Constitution describes. Slavery did not become a part of the issue until after the war was almost lost to the Confederates, and Lincoln had to throw it out there to generate chaos. He freed Southern slaves, not Northern slaves!

When the dust settled, and the history books were written, the Civil War became a war about slavery. That poor southern soldier who died at Ft. Mims, had no idea of this. The men who gave their lives were as American as you are, and they understood they were fighting for a cause, but it wasn't slavery.

Oh, I should also like to point out that many Southerners did not own slaves in 1861 because it was roughly the cost of buying a house today. Most young and poor people do not own houses, but if you ask them, they will tell you that they "plan to" own one someday. Such was the case for those noble peasants you spoke of, Dixie...

You can draw that analogy if you like, but it presumes young and poor people of that time would be living the lifestyles of young poor people today, and that was not the case. This was before the automobile, remember?

The fact is, less than 2% of the Southern population owned slaves. That means, 98% of the people in the Southern USA, did not own a slave, ever.

I have ancestors who lived here all their lives, and I can tell you this from what has been passed down to me. The vast majority of people in the south, had little or nothing, and what they did have, was the result of hard back-breaking work they did themselves.

My grandmother picked cotton for a sharecropper, a black man who had inherited his father's 40 acres and a mule, but the mule had long since died. She had 6 children, one of them was my father, and from the time they were old enough to tag along with her, they picked cotton for him too. This is how she fed and raised her kids, (my father, aunts, and uncles.) Sometimes, the sharecropper would send his sons to pick a field near my grandmother's place, and they would eat dinner with her, there was never any consideration about their race, or sense of inequality, they were all cotton pickers eating dinner together. Now, this was 1932 America, but it was in the deep south. This is how most of the South lived, not beating some black man at a whipping post, like you've seen on the TV.

What you have is a warped liberal perspective of something you are ignorant about. All you know or understand is the many misconceptions you've read in some book, which is prejudiced to the truth. Your ignorance has created a bigotry you just can't get past, and it is fueling a resentment that is unfounded and baseless.

See YY's post about "context" please. We are discussing the AMERICAN Civil War! Like the AMERICAN way of life, and any number of other things we 'United States of' AMERICANS stick that tag on!

Very well, context indeed. Since only US Americans are called "Americans," Confederates had no claim to the label.

Damn straight it's a misleading term, it's an oxymoron. Wars are not Civil. The Confederate States of America were formed in rebellion to the United States tyranny, just as the United States were formed in rebellion to the English tyranny, and as was permitted and allowed for in the foundation of the Constitution itself. They were not fighting against the Constitution as much as the usurped power of a central Federal government, which violated the Constitution, and in such cases, the Constitution calls for a rebellion of the people. They weren't committing treason, they were following orders.

I hope you understand the term "Civil War" is inappropriate because it doesn't accuractely depscribe the war aims of the two sides, rather than this idiotic drivel about wars being uncivil. I further challenge you to explain how the North (who had held power for 8 out of the preceeding 60 years) was being tyrannical. Here read this and learn your history:

http://www.civilwarhome.com/southernseccession.htm

Yes, and the issue is still alive today, but this was the issue the Civil War was fought over, by everyday red-blooded AMERICANS on both sides. We can look back in hindsight and cast judgment on them for something they had nothing to do with, or we can understand they were regular Americans fighting for their Constitutional rights and freedoms, on both sides!

Yeah, thanks for discrediting states rights with your fucking southern ignorance. As usual "the people" embarassed themselves with their depraved human nature, and we got a stronger national govt. Well played, hicks!

You are so full of shit it isn't funny. The Civil War had absolutely NOTHING to do with civil rights for black people, you goofball. It took another 100 years for that to take place, and in fact, most Abolitionists favored sending all blacks back to where they came from in Africa, rather than "mix" with them in society. 1861 America (North and South) was a staunchly racist place by today's standards, and to fool yourself into thinking it was some great liberal racial equality cause, is laughable to me. It's probably downright offensive to some black people.

The War had nothing to do with civil rights and everything to do with slavery. Your ignorant "expand or die" theory left you feeling paranoid about the free soil movement, because a free west would in decades to come mean the full abolition of slavery. First thing's first dumbass:

1) The South had been refusing to industrialize and get off of cash crops for 70 years. For that you all deserved to die.
2) Wasn't the eventual abolition of slavery a good thing?
3) This sounds like the Neocon stance on comprehensive immigration reform. "no, not everything necessary can be done at once, so we support the failed status quo!"

There were a number of economic issues the Federal Government would simply not address or consider. It wanted to abolish slavery, but had no solution as to how this should be done with regard to the law abiding and legitimate companies which used constitutionally legal and legitimate slaves. Remember that slavery was legal, and was constitutional, there was nothing illegal or perceived by most of society as being wrong with it. The North did not have plantation slaves, they were in the agricultural south, where plantations are found. In the North, they were servants, mammies, carriage drivers, but they were not free people. As I said, that took another century.

See my two points above. This entire fiscal quandary was ENTIRELY your fault. ANd you wonder why the southern economy had not grown at all in the 1850's... You refused to industrialize, and you also failed to realize that abolition of slavery would take at least thirty years, more than enough time to kick the habit and reform the pathetic and miserable economic structire. My God, its a wonder you ever became capitalists at all!!!

The root of the problem was States Rights, and whether the Federal government had the right to dictate what state laws were. Up until that time, it was considered the fundamental principle of our government, to allow states the right to determine what is best for their people, as the Constitution describes. Slavery did not become a part of the issue until after the war was almost lost to the Confederates, and Lincoln had to throw it out there to generate chaos. He freed Southern slaves, not Northern slaves!

Lincoln effectively abolished slavery with the Proclamation, because a free south and a free north, would mean the impracticality of slavery in the Border States, and the free soil concept would keep it out of the West. You being Southern are naturally not able to read into a skilled political ploy, because you think that the North was "tyrannical" (no, just better, btw).

[/QUOTE]When the dust settled, and the history books were written, the Civil War became a war about slavery. That poor southern soldier who died at Ft. Mims, had no idea of this. The men who gave their lives were as American as you are, and they understood they were fighting for a cause, but it wasn't slavery.[/QUOTE]

The war was about slavery from the moment the South seceeded out of fear of abolition. No Republican victory, no secession, no war. The war became viewed as a crusade against slavery from the moment Northerners began to realize that abolition must be a war aim to cripple the Southern production effort. The turning point came when Lincon issued the Proclamation.

The men who died fighting for the South, did so unrepentedly and without honor. They were no more American than other evil ideologies we have vanquished. To be an American is to be a republican, and to be a good republican is to have virtue and honor. The rebels favored democracy and populism over republicanism, and subsequently lacked these noble traits.

This is why I look upon the Civil War as a bad move for the North. The South had nothing to offer the Union, its economy would have soon collapsed leading to emancipation, and the Democratic Party would have died and stayed dead. We would never have had to endure the incompetent presidencies of Cleveland, Wilson, FDR's first two terms, Truman, JFK, LBJ, Carter and Clinton: All of the other regions today have become inundated by the New Left, because evil was allowed to endure. The GOP would have maintained its traditional republican values represented clearly by presidents such as TR, Taft, and Coolidge, and by senators such as Lodge and R. Taft.

Your problem is, you are trying to take an issue of 150 years ago, and argue it on today's terms, and view it in today's politically correct light, and there is simply no argument there. You want to cast me as arguing in favor of slavery, and that is not a fair assessment of my position. It is inherently impossible for you to see this in any other way, because you are comfortable with your bigoted ignorance.

The South couldn't industrialize, their economy and way of life was established in agriculture because of climate. You can't grow cotton in New York or Boston! The South was tied to agriculture the same way the North was tied to industry. Had the 60 years of Southern rule in the White House fostered a 'nationalist' movement to federalize and force the northern industries to subsidize agriculture in the south, the Civil War may have been fought from the Northern perspective of States Rights. But that isn't what happened, it was the other way around.

This doesn't make anyone non-American. This doesn't negate the heroism of dying in battle, or the bravery to fight for a cause. In retrospect, we can support a bigoted view and pretend the South was on the wrong side of our preconceived ideas of what the war was about, but that doesn't make it so. It may make you feel better about Sherman burning Atlanta to the ground, or the rampage of terror he blazed across the South, but it is not an intellectually honest perspective.

Slavery was already on the decline. Actual purchasing of slaves from Africa had stopped long before the Civil War, and our society had begun to reach the conscious awareness that it was on it's way out. The South had no particular problem with this in general, their only issue was how to go about it. How to make it happen, and at the same time, protect the economic foundation of the South. The Feds had no answer and met the problem with complete and arrogant indifference, and that was the issue.

According to the Constitution and how it was interpreted up until that time, the rights of the state were guaranteed and should have prevailed. Yes, by today's standards, the issue of human slavery is more important than the rights of the state, but it wasn't at that time. Slaves were property at that time, legal and legitimately owned property, as established by the Constitution of YOUR US FEDERAL GOVERNMENT! If the Federal government said they were going to confiscate all automobiles in California because of Global Warming, would you say they have the Constitutional right to do so? Yes or No?

The Confederates wanted a Confederation of States and they were opposed to Federalists who wanted a supreme centralized government. Anyone who reads the Constitution can see that the Founding Fathers were not in favor of a supreme centralized government, and clearly established which rights belonged to the individual states, as those not enumerated. (life, liberty, pursuit of happiness.)

The Confederate rebels had a legitimate complaint. If slavery was the issue, the US Government should have adopted a Constitutional Amendment to free all slaves. Why didn't this occur? Because it wasn't the issue! The Constitution had already interpreted black slaves to be "property", and not human beings or citizens. The Constitution of YOUR United States...Union Army...Federalist Government!

So the issue was not Slavery, it was whether the Federal Government should have the right to determine the laws of a State, as they pertained to property ownership and individual property rights. This sounds very harsh by today's standards, but again, you have to put it into the perspective of the times, and at that time, black slaves were property, just like your car or boat. You can argue that they shouldn't have been, but that doesn't negate the fact that they were. You can argue that it's a good thing we changed it, and I agree, but it still doesn't change the facts in reality of pre-Civil War America. This was obviously the sentiments of the North, as it was the law of the land according to the US Constitution and how it was interpreted at the time.

Back to the point of the actual war. The young men who fought and died for the Confederacy, were not slave owners, and never aspired to own a slave. They were mostly farm boys who were sent off to war to fight for their homeland and way of life. They had nothing whatsoever to do with the cultural attitudes of society in that time, or the fact that slaves were deemed private personal property by the US Constitution. They just knew the Yankees were coming, and hoped they could win the battle. They were American soldiers, their graves are all along the foothills of the South, and they fought and died with as much bravery and courage as any US soldier. We can retrospectively disagree with their cause, and we can even disagree about what that cause may have been, but they do deserve to be honored as war veterans and heroes in combat. It's called being noble and having respect for the brave.

Dick-see, what political party do you back and who did you vote for in the last election? And who do you intend to vote for in this election?

Anti-South morons forget that it was the North that first tried to secede in 1814.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartford_Convention[/ame]

Did you read the link I posted? Does anyone ever bother to ask why the South seceeded? It never would have seceeded if the North hadn't been attacking slavery. Period. End of Story.

Oh no, not Period, End of Story. You want it to be that, you want to portray this as some great moral crusade the North was on, and the South didn't want to go along with, but that was not the case. "The North" was not attacking anything before the Civil War, because there was no "The North" and there was nothing to "attack." Congress had opportunities to make slavery illegal, to emancipate the slaves, to have stopped the practice before it ever started in America! They didn't do this, why not? Were they a bunch of racists? Why did YOUR US government fail to deal with the problem of human slavery before the Civil War, and in fact, deemed slaves as "property" under the Constitution? The South didn't do this, it was done by the US Congress.

That's the part of the story you don't want to tell. It doesn't fit your idiotically simple idea of the slavery issue, or what you thought the Civil War was about. The issue of the war was states rights, and whether the federal government had the Constitutional right to mandate state law. It regarded slavery only in the sense that slaves were legitimately owned property at the time, and the Constitution has never granted our federal government the power to just seize private property. In other words, it was a Constitutional dilemma and both sides of the issue had a legitimate argument to make. It was settled by the war, but emancipation of the slaves was only made a stalwart issue when Lincoln thought the war was about to be lost. At that time, he emancipated only Southern slaves, any "owned" black people in the North, would have to wait until a few years after the war to be free. If this was such a Great Moral Crusade To Free The Black Man, as you seem to want to claim it was, why did Lincoln only free the Southern slaves?

The Convention was about opposition to the War of 1812, which it officially condemned. The few nuts who advocated secession were ignored and the matter died. The North never got close to considering it, making it a moot point.

Hey idiot, it is obvious to everyone that the North didn't secede from the Union! Is that what you thought he posted that to prove? It's not arguable, the North didn't secede, but they did contemplate it. That was the point. Our Constitution allows for the people to rise up in rebellion and revolt if the government attempts to usurp our Constitutional rights, go read it sometime!

Perhaps you will gain some insight as to WHY the Confederate states seceded from the Union and decided to fight the Civil War.

Back