Christie: (Illegal) Immigrants are not criminals

It must be if penalties are involved.

You can lose money, have your insurance rates raised or even go to jail or have your driving priviledge suspended for speeding.
They are civil, not criminal laws. There is a large difference.

It certainly is.................

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/04/immigrants_and_their_advocates.html#comments

Being undocumented may be a civil wrong, but it's not a criminal act, Christie said.

"Don't let people make you believe that that's a crime that the U.S. Attorney's Office should be doing something about," he added of entering the country illegally. "It is not."

Interesting.

under Title 18USC codes...

crime (krm)
n.
1. An act committed or omitted in violation of a law forbidding or commanding it and for which punishment is imposed upon conviction.
2. Unlawful activity: statistics relating to violent crime.
3. A serious offense, especially one in violation of morality.
4. An unjust, senseless, or disgraceful act or condition: It's a crime to squander our country's natural resources.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/crime

My understanding meets 2 of the 3 legal definitions in that dictionary.

Your judge friend of yours said it is not a crime if you do not clear Customs?
Customs is NOT immigration. It is there to make sure you pay duty on items which the US charges you to bring in the country. First entry to the US without proper documentation is NOT A CRIME. If you are caught here without documents, or with documents that have expired you are taken before an immingration hearing officer, depending on the status of your documents you either voluntarily return or you are deported. If you are deported there is usually a time restriction on your ability to re-enter again. If you are caught without legal documents a second time then you have committed the crime of illegal RE-ENTRY. Which is punishable by up to 5 years in a federal prison and a 25 year ban on entering the US in anyway, legally or not. But undocumented immigration is NOT a crime on the first offence. I don't understand why people fight that so hard.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm sure a judge, Damo, and myself are wrong, while Battleborne and USC are right... cause that happens all the time.

Thank you for revealing your deep ignorance about the American legal system.

You should really do some research on misdemeanors and felonies.

What you have here is a misdemeanor punishible on first offense by less than one year in jail.

In other words, not a crime. But thanks for at least trying.

I''ve seem some stupid posts from libs over the years, but this one is a winner.....talk about ignorance....Epi, your about as fuckin' ignorant as they come......
its in your face ... all you gotta do is read it and after you do, you still make the stupidest post I've ever seem

Good job..............

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/ts_search.pl?title=8&sec=1325

U.S. Code as of: 01/03/05
Section 1325. Improper entry by alien

(a) Improper time or place; avoidance of examination or inspection;
misrepresentation and concealment of facts
Any alien who (1) enters or attempts to enter the United States
at any time or place other than as designated by immigration
officers, or (2) eludes examination or inspection by immigration
officers, or (3) attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United
States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the
willful concealment of a material fact, shall, for the first
commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or
imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both, and, for a subsequent
commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18, or
imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.
(b) Improper time or place; civil penalties
Any alien who is apprehended while entering (or attempting to
enter) the United States at a time or place other than as

designated by immigration officers shall be subject to a civil
penalty of -
(1) at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or
attempted entry); or
(2) twice the amount specified in paragraph (1) in the case of
an alien who has been previously subject to a civil penalty under
this subsection.

Civil penalties under this subsection are in addition to, and not
in lieu of, any criminal or other civil penalties that may be
imposed.
(c) Marriage fraud
Any individual who knowingly enters into a marriage for the
purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws shall be
imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or fined not more than
$250,000, or both.
(d) Immigration-related entrepreneurship fraud
Any individual who knowingly establishes a commercial enterprise
for the purpose of evading any provision of the immigration laws
shall be imprisoned for not more than 5 years, fined in accordance
with title 18, or both.

Very strange. It sure seems like it's a crime

I could quote all the sections used...since I did enforce them...but this will suffice!:)

Customs is NOT immigration. It is there to make sure you pay duty on items which the US charges you to bring in the country. First entry to the US without proper documentation is NOT A CRIME. If you are caught here without documents, or with documents that have expired you are taking before an immingration hearing officer, depending on the status of your documents you either voluntarily return or you are deported. If you are deported there is usually a time restriction on your ability to re-enter again. If you are caught without legal documents a second time then you have committed the crime of illegal RE-ENTRY. Which is punishable by up to 5 years in a federal prison and a 25 year ban on entering the US in anyway, legally or not. But undocumented immigration is NOT a crime on the first offence. I don't understand why people fight that so hard.

Because they clearly don't understand a goddamn thing about the legal system.

I''ve seem some stupid posts from libs over the years, but this one is a winner.....talk about ignorance....Epi, your about as fuckin' ignorant as they come......
its in your face ... all you gotta do is read it and after you do, you still make the stupidest post I've ever seem

LoL show me how it's a felony on 1st offense.

I'll wait.

fel·o·ny (fl-n)
n. pl. fel·o·nies Law
1. One of several grave crimes, such as murder, rape, or burglary, punishable by a more stringent sentence than that given for a misdemeanor.
2. Any of several crimes in early English law that were punishable by forfeiture of land or goods and by possible loss of life or a bodily part.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/felony

Wrong...again...counselor

Customs is NOT immigration. It is there to make sure you pay duty on items which the US charges you to bring in the country. First entry to the US without proper documentation is NOT A CRIME. If you are caught here without documents, or with documents that have expired you are taken before an immingration hearing officer, depending on the status of your documents you either voluntarily return or you are deported. If you are deported there is usually a time restriction on your ability to re-enter again. If you are caught without legal documents a second time then you have committed the crime of illegal RE-ENTRY. Which is punishable by up to 5 years in a federal prison and a 25 year ban on entering the US in anyway, legally or not. But undocumented immigration is NOT a crime on the first offence. I don't understand why people fight that so hard.

USC and Immigration are bi-lateral agencies...they enforce all illegal entry laws..commodities or people....first offense is not generally prosecuted, does not mean it is 'legal' get a grip counselor!

Ok after looking at the statute posted I talked to the lawyer in our office that has just started doing immigration cases and he has clarified the law for me. It is true that there are federal charges that CAN be brought for first time undocumented entry. HOWEVER, the US government would be required to appoint attorneys for EVERY first time offender, the hearings would have to be before the Federal Magistrate. The standard of proof would be beyond a reasonable doubt and the process would take MUCH longer. For a first time undocumented entry in the US the government seeks civil remedies ONLY. They ask for and most people agree to, voluntary return. Before they go they are told that a second entry can be prosecuted as a felony. The money that would be spent to prosecute these people would be tremendous so the Government takes the cheaper way out for first timers

Back