Christofacists at it again

Tiana, do Sunday School teachers get paid? They were all volunteers teaching Sunday school when I was young??

Thus, your point is moot.

And if she was a paid employee of some sort, I totally agree with you! It is discrimination!

not because they can't have rules like this in their church, because they can have rules like this in their own church because OUR CONSTITUTION says that Congress can make no law regarding an established church....but because she was in this position for years of teaching this Sunday School class and was picked by them to do this job, I presume, and now, changing the rules midstream seem unfair.

And I do not in any way agree with this minister's interpretation of the Bible that would prevent a woman from teaching Sunday school or Catechism....

Tiana, do Sunday School teachers get paid? They were all volunteers teaching Sunday school when I was young??

Thus, your point is moot.

And if she was a paid employee of some sort, I totally agree with you! It is discrimination!

So because there may or may not be any monetary exchange for her services, its not sexist? That doesn't make sense. She lost her job (volunteer job) because she has a vag ina. Period. That's not fair.

I'm not saying we should dictate what they can or can't do within their churches that willingly go to. I'm questioning whether or not its fair to allow them to enjoy the benefits of a tax exempt status when they engage this type of behavior. I don't think it is.

Hmm. Well then, I think you would agree NOW (National Organization for Women) should lose their tax-exempt status. Why should an organization which does not accept male members be receiving tax-exempt status (by your logic)?

Hmm. Well then, I think you would agree NOW (National Organization for Women) should lose their tax-exempt status. Why should an organization which does not accept male members be receiving tax-exempt status (by your logic)?

I don't think NOW prohibits male members anymore than the NAACP prohibits non-black members.

Oh, I have good news for you, Brent. NOW does indeed accept male members -- no juvenile tittering, please.

Yes, you can, Brent. Go ahead and join today:

https://www.now.org/member.html

first off, I don't know if Now has a tax exempt status. Do you have a link confirming this?

Secondly, men can work at NOW. Can you provide evidence otherwise?

So because there may or may not be any monetary exchange for her services, its not sexist? That doesn't make sense. She lost her job (volunteer job) because she has a vag ina. Period. That's not fair.

I'm not saying we should dictate what they can or can't do within their churches that willingly go to. I'm questioning whether or not its fair to allow them to enjoy the benefits of a tax exempt status when they engage this type of behavior. I don't think it is.

It is not against the Law Tiana.....

It is not discrimination, a church can also choose not to have a gay man teaching sunday school if they wish....or an out of wedlock mother teaching Sunday school.....they can do anything they want and so can most small employers....

even affirmative action does not apply to any private entity, (that does not receive government money).....

it's a sad state of affairs, but I believe this is the case....

The person chooses their membership to a church, if they do not like their doctrine then they can change chirches, which I most CERTAINLY would do, if I were this woman and find a church that better suits her...

"It is not against the Law Tiana.....

It is not discrimination, a church can also choose not to have a gay man teaching sunday school if they wish....or an out of wedlock mother teaching Sunday school.....they can do anything they want and so can most small employers..."

I've never stated that their blatent discrimination should be outlawed. As a matter of fact I've explicitely stated they can do whatever ever they want. What I have and still question is their ability to claim a tax-exempt status, that does not equate to trying to legislate what the church can and can't do beyond deductions on IRS forms.

"It is not against the Law Tiana.....

It is not discrimination, a church can also choose not to have a gay man teaching sunday school if they wish....or an out of wedlock mother teaching Sunday school.....they can do anything they want and so can most small employers..."

I've never stated that their blatent discrimination should be outlawed. As a matter of fact I've explicitely stated they can do whatever ever they want. What I have and still question is their ability to claim a tax-exempt status, that does not equate to trying to legislate what the church can and can't do beyond deductions on IRS forms.

how's that? you specifically want irs legislation changed to make Churches a separate and different status than the other non profits based on how they treat their own members, who freely have joined their church?

and that's lunacy tiana....and unconstitutional! if you change the law to legally punish churches by changing their nonprofit status for having a church doctrine and policy that you feel is discriminatory, then you or congress is making law regarding churches....thus unconstitutional...

the only way around this... is if you change the current law for ALL nonprofits or not for profits to limit their choice of memberships, and i seriously doubt congress would really be able to do that, or threaten to take their tax exempt status away if they didn't!!!

in addition to this....if they do not make a profit, what is there to tax?

;)
care

how's that? you specifically want irs legislation changed to make Churches a separate and different status than the other non profits based on how they treat their own members, who freely have joined their church?

and that's lunacy tiana....and unconstitutional! if you change the law to legally punish churches by changing their nonprofit status for having a church doctrine and policy that you feel is discriminatory, then you or congress is making law regarding churches....thus unconstitutional...

the only way around this... is if you change the current law for ALL nonprofits or not for profits to limit their choice of memberships, and i seriously doubt congress would really be able to do that, or threaten to take their tax exempt status away if they didn't!!!

in addition to this....if they do not make a profit, what is there to tax?

;)
care

No! I specifically stated that if any non-profit exhibited out rightly sexist behaviour they should have their tax exempt status yanked. Period.

LadyT said:
I don't see how that has any relevance to the point at hand. I would move to apply the same rules to other non-profits as well. While churches aren't specifically mentioned in the IRC code as mentioned in this pamphlet, but they do recognize that certain non-profits are churches.

No! I specifically stated that if any non-profit exhibited out rightly sexist behaviour they should have their tax exempt status yanked. Period.
but why would YOU REALLY want the government to do that? control the membership of private non profits and change the doctrine of an established church?

that is just tooooo controlling for me and is also against the first amendment, and gives way too much power to our gvt, power i never would be comfortable giving them....

in this case tiana....''...it's deeper than pastry''....giving credit to dixie for the line....

it's not as easy as you think, and truely, i don't understand your goal or the purpose of your goal ??

they don't make a profit tiana, there is not any profitable income to tax?

Back