CNBC reports

Gov. Bill Richardson is a serious contender for commerce secretary, say sources close to Barack Obama's transition team.

Which makes much more sense than having him at State, particularly considering both his foreign policy experience (for international trade reasons) and his experience as a governor and energy secretary (and in light of Obama's proposals on alternative energy technologies).

The idea that Bill Richardson is a washington outsider is ludicrous SF.

If it's true that he's tapped Geithner as the new Treasury Secretary, then that is the one that I am deflated about. that's a big blow to me.

that's a coward move.

It does look true. What's your take on Geithner, and who were you hoping for?

You suggested Obama should have chosen Richardson because Richardson supported Obama early. That is cronyism.

You are truly an idiot. I said he should have chosen Richardson because he has more experience, because he has been away from DC for almost a decade (which means he hasn't been tied up with lobbyists in DC... unlike Clinton) and because he provided support to Obama.

Obama isn't going to elect cabinet members who didn't support him at some point in his campaign you moron. Side note... I think you need a refresher on what cronyism is. Try looking up words before you use them.

It does look true. What's your take on Geithner, and who were you hoping for?

It was the one appointment I was really watching. I was hoping he'd go bold and pick Corzine. to me, this guy is nothing but another deregulating Sumners lackey who has been knee deep in the completely inefficient response to this crisis already.

It was a way of picking Sumners without riling up the women folk.

It's a big disappointment to me. It'll make republicans like Chap happy. that should tell you something.

Which makes much more sense than having him at State, particularly considering both his foreign policy experience (for international trade reasons) and his experience as a governor and energy secretary (and in light of Obama's proposals on alternative energy technologies).

Well what do you think of the treasury sect pick?

It was the one appointment I was really watching. I was hoping he'd go bold and pick Corzine. to me, this guy is nothing but another deregulating Sumners lackey who has been knee deep in the completely inefficient response to this crisis already.

It was a way of picking Sumners without riling up the women folk.

It's a big disappointment to me. It'll make republicans like Chap happy. that should tell you something.

Well, I also heard that Sumners is going to have a major role on the economic team, which he's announcing on Monday.

If it's any consolation, there is going to be no mood for deregulation in Washington even if that has been someone's bent; but I agree that a clean break from the Paulson crew that has seemed so inept the past couple of weeks would have been nice.

I'm glad he is announcing this on Monday, though; there has been a leadership vacuum on the markets & the auto bailout which is hurting the market.

The idea that Bill Richardson is a washington outsider is ludicrous SF.

If it's true that he's tapped Geithner as the new Treasury Secretary, then that is the one that I am deflated about. that's a big blow to me.

that's a coward move.

I am not suggesting that he is a total outsider, obviously he spent a lot of time in DC in the PAST and has connections there. But as I have stated and you children continue to ignore, he has been OUT of DC for the better part of a decade as NM's governor. So he hasn't had the DC lobbyists all over his doorstep, he isn't sitting in their pockets.... can you say the same for Hillary? NO... you cannot.

Well, I also heard that Sumners is going to have a major role on the economic team, which he's announcing on Monday.

If it's any consolation, there is going to be no mood for deregulation in Washington even if that has been someone's bent; but I agree that a clean break from the Paulson crew that has seemed so inept the past couple of weeks would have been nice.

I'm glad he is announcing this on Monday, though; there has been a leadership vacuum on the markets & the auto bailout which is hurting the market.

I agree with you on your last point, and Krugman really sailed that home in his column today - I bet a lot of people in the Obama camp read that.

But this is not the direction I wanted to see on the economy. After Katrina, even David Brooks thought the ill winds (ill for him) were blowing. I remember columns he wrote heralding in the New Progressive Era because America would stay horrifed about the exposed failures of capitalism in NO, and of the face of poverty in America. He said he was embarrassed that his party had done this. then he stopped writing those columns. I felt as if I could see him looking around furitively, and, realizing that they were going to get away with it, that there woudl be no new progressive era, he couldn't believe his good luck, and he shut up.

And now we are already in a jobs depression. We are teetering on the edge of a new economic depression. It's a time to implement real change, as this country did once before.

Instead we get DLC politics.

What a blow.

Republicans will line up to kiss his ass for this.

I am not suggesting that he is a total outsider, obviously he spent a lot of time in DC in the PAST and has connections there. But as I have stated and you children continue to ignore, he has been OUT of DC for the better part of a decade as NM's governor. So he hasn't had the DC lobbyists all over his doorstep, he isn't sitting in their pockets.... can you say the same for Hillary? NO... you cannot.

I will easily predict that Hillary Clinton will make history as secretary of state. Watch her.

I will easily predict that Hillary Clinton will make history as secretary of state. Watch her.

I tend to agree with that. Obama didn't owe her anything, and the pick came as a surprise to most people; I think he's genuinely picking her because he thinks she'll be great.

Superfreak is in a teensy minority here. People on both sides have said it's an excellent pick; the only trepidation is what she brings to the table in terms of Bill, and in terms of wanting to run things more independently than a traditional pick might. But that's it; the idea that she's a "horrid" pick, or more of an insider than Richardson or anyone else on the short or long list, is absurd.

She would represent change, she would be the first white woman to ever hold the post.

I tend to agree with that. Obama didn't owe her anything, and the pick came as a surprise to most people; I think he's genuinely picking her because he thinks she'll be great.

Superfreak is in a teensy minority here. People on both sides have said it's an excellent pick; the only trepidation is what she brings to the table in terms of Bill, and in terms of wanting to run things more independently than a traditional pick might. But that's it; the idea that she's a "horrid" pick, or more of an insider than Richardson or anyone else on the short or long list, is absurd.

you don't think Hillary Clinton is more of an insider than Bill Richardson? You are such a moronic hack.

I agree with you on your last point, and Krugman really sailed that home in his column today - I bet a lot of people in the Obama camp read that.

But this is not the direction I wanted to see on the economy. After Katrina, even David Brooks thought the ill winds (ill for him) were blowing. I remember columns he wrote heralding in the New Progressive Era because America would stay horrifed about the exposed failures of capitalism in NO, and of the face of poverty in America. He said he was embarrassed that his party had done this. then he stopped writing those columns. I felt as if I could see him looking around furitively, and, realizing that they were going to get away with it, that there woudl be no new progressive era, he couldn't believe his good luck, and he shut up.

And now we are already in a jobs depression. We are teetering on the edge of a new economic depression. It's a time to implement real change, as this country did once before.

Instead we get DLC politics.

What a blow.

Republicans will line up to kiss his ass for this.

My view is that you need a finance guy at Treasury and you aren't going to find a qualified finance guy that is completely removed from the current debacle. I don't know enough about Geitner (or finance issues generally) to have a solid opinion on him one way or the other. It may very well be that Geitner wasn't the first choice (would you want to be responsible for cleaning up this mess?)

The real issue is who Obama listens to, Geitner at Treasury of Richardson at Commerce and whomever he appoints at Labor.

Back