CNN Commentator Suspended Over Beckham Tweets

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...mentator-roland-martin-over-beckham-ad-tweets

After apologizing for what he called a misunderstanding, Roland Martin is out at CNN.

The network announced Wednesday afternoon that the analyst would be suspended for the foreseeable future.

VIDEOS: David Beckham's Underwear Ad and Other Super Bowl Commercials of 2012

"Roland Martin's tweets were regrettable and offensive," reads the statement. "Language that demeans is inconsistent with the values and culture of our organization, and is not tolerated. We have been giving careful consideration to this matter, and Roland will not be appearing on our air for the time being."

Prompting all of the furor was Martin's Twitter commentary on Super Bowl commercials, particularly one about the underwear clad David Beckham (below).

"If a dude at your Super Bowl party is hyped about David Beckham's H&M underwear ad," he wrote, "smack the ish out of him!"

GLAAD (Gay Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) immediately responded by demanding his removal from the news network, though Martin insisted that his tweet was not a homophobic encouragement of violence -- but a dig at soccer fans.

More at link...

Stupidity and bravado, on his part. He said that nonsense, in front of his boyz, watching the game...you don't tweet it. And we went to the same high school. I was a fan, up until now.

I read the story but I was confused. What did be mean by "beat the ish out of them"? Was that twitter for "shit" or is that what gay-bashers say now, like it's short for swish or something? I really am out of the hate-a-rade loop.

I read the story but I was confused. What did be mean by "beat the ish out of them"? Was that twitter for "shit" or is that what gay-bashers say now, like it's short for swish or something? I really am out of the hate-a-rade loop.

ish= shit....I guess. I'm not into how gay bashers talk. It's really ironic, Martin "gay bashing", when he wears a dubious "ascot", on air, as if he were a "fey" English gentleman. So contrived. So "gay".

I have no idea what he meant by bash the ish out of them. But Martin is a football (American) fan and does like to bash football (we call it soccer).

Could he have been bashing gay men? Sure.

But a soccer star in a commercial during the super bowl... I can also see it being just as he said.

It is funny that so many automatically assume the worst. Has he ever displayed any sort of 'gay bashing' tendencies before? I am not aware of any... but would be interested to learn if he has done so in the past. If no one can provide any other examples, then this is an over reaction and quite frankly absurd. If he has done so in the past, then it is justified and he should be suspended.

It was CNN Commentator language for sh*t... beat the ish... You don't curse, but you still insult gay people, that way you're cool for the fourteen year old children who still fear "different"...

I have no idea what he meant by bash the ish out of them. But Martin is a football (American) fan and does like to bash football (we call it soccer).

Could he have been bashing gay men? Sure.

But a soccer star in a commercial during the super bowl... I can also see it being just as he said.

It is funny that so many automatically assume the worst. Has he ever displayed any sort of 'gay bashing' tendencies before? I am not aware of any... but would be interested to learn if he has done so in the past. If no one can provide any other examples, then this is an over reaction and quite frankly absurd. If he has done so in the past, then it is justified and he should be suspended.

I saw people saying on twitter that he has made very anti-gay comments in the past. You need to get plugged in SF - twitter is where everything happens. It's the age of the twitterati!

But I really don't remember the specifics.

I don't remember the Ad. Although I liked the one where the idiot ran away from a cheetah rather than just getting in and closing the cage door... that one was funny. Stupid people make me laugh, even when it is just pretend.

I'm sure I'll get myself in trouble for asking this but I'll ask it anyway. Where do you draw the line for homophobia if one believes two men together sexually is disgusting and not a turn on but at the same time doesn't care if one is gay and what two men decide to do together sexually?

I'm sure I'll get myself in trouble for asking this but I'll ask it anyway. Where do you draw the line for homophobia if one believes two men together sexually is disgusting and not a turn on but at the same time doesn't care if one is gay and what two men decide to do together sexually?

Is it bashing that I get grossed out when ugly hetero couples suck face in public? Would I be self-bashing because I think ugly hetero couples should avoid doing that around food especially?

What you are grossed out by isn't really "bashing"...

And I really am grossed out by ugly people engaging in public displays of affection. The problem is, all men are ugly...

Is it bashing that I get grossed out when ugly hetero couples suck face in public? Would I be self-bashing because I think ugly hetero couples should avoid doing that around food especially?

And I really am grossed out by ugly people engaging in public displays of affection. The problem is, all men are ugly...

I'll see some metrosexual guys walking around San Francisco and I'll say to myself 'what a p*ssy'. Or same thing if some guy is carrying a murse.

Is thinking a guy is 'soft' and not a man a form of homophobia?

I'll see some metrosexual guys walking around San Francisco and I'll say to myself 'what a p*ssy'. Or same thing if some guy is carrying a murse.

You are definatley a homophobe. A USC grad and a rightwinger in Cali. Shit you got enough problems picking up woman. You should be glad the good dressers and neat freaks aren't competing with you.

This reminds me of the time you asked what is the right thing to call a midget.

Just don't go there Cawacko!

I don't find the idea of two hot men making out gross. Maybe it does all come down to looks rather than gender. How shallow!

Yes, and also a form of misogyny, which I believe a part of homophobia is rooted in.

Yes, and also a form of misogyny, which I believe a part of homophobia is rooted in.

Now what if I look at a guy and say he looks like trash or white trash if you want to use the word. Is that homophobic or misogyny as well?

Obviously it's being very judgemental but in a way isn't that what "people watching" is about?

I know I've done this and I've heard other guys say this as well. When you go into a bar you look around to see if there are women in the place. At a certain point you also look at the guys who are in a sense your 'competition' and make judgements about them. Or you look a girl and think why the hell is she talking to him and not me. Is there latent homophobia in those type of thoughts?

Now what if I look at a guy and say he looks like trash or white trash if you want to use the word. Is that homophobic or misogyny as well?

Obviously it's being very judgemental but in a way isn't that what "people watching" is about?

Nah, white trash and hillbillies are a totally different story.

Back