College football conference championships, CFP predictions

Don't know, when Texas alumni are offering a fifty thousand dollar basically salary for offensive linemen, it kinda signals where it is going to go and how quickly it will escalate

Those are leading TV viewing areas, but be honest, say in ten years when hypothetically say two SEC school each with multi million dollar budgets in player personnel meet on the field you are going to look at it as the same pageantry you see now?

My son made $30k a year his last 2 years of his time at the university for his work in research engineering. I am quite sure that the university did not profit as much from his work as they do from the football team's work.

Got to admire your enthusiasm, as misplaced as it is

Texas ain't the only one with deep pockets alumni, other than Vanderbilt, there ain't another school in the SEC that won't follow suit, not mention a few in the Big Ten

And I'll even give you another prediction, within time, there will only be a few if not just two super conferences in college athletics, both with limited time spans as far as national appeal, the sports fan isn't going to get too excited watching two semi pro leagues play, as I said, Triple A ball. The remainder of schools will amend the rules and fall into more amateur level participation

I'm not talking about deep pocket alum, i'm talking about revenue generated from the athletic department. That's where Texas has been at the top. (Separately, they have the issue with the big donors with differing agendas having their hands in the decision making that has run them amok.)

I do worry about super conferences. I'm not a fan. I don't like OU and Texas going to the SEC. And TBH, I don't like the expansion of the college playoffs. The times they are a changin.

As a proud alum I love wearing 'SC gear when I travel. Had numerous people come up to me to talk 'SC football over the years. During the depression of the Helton era too many people to count asked "what's wrong with you guys" and "college football is better when 'SC is good". Well, it will take a couple of years but it's happening Archives. Hop on brother, it's going to be a fun ride.

I'm not talking about deep pocket alum, i'm talking about revenue generated from the athletic department. That's where Texas has been at the top. (Separately, they have the issue with the big donors with differing agendas having their hands in the decision making that has run them amok.)

I do worry about super conferences. I'm not a fan. I don't like OU and Texas going to the SEC. And TBH, I don't like the expansion of the college playoffs. The times they are a changin.

As a proud alum I love wearing 'SC gear when I travel. Had numerous people come up to me to talk 'SC football over the years. During the depression of the Helton era too many people to count asked "what's wrong with you guys" and "college football is better when 'SC is good". Well, it will take a couple of years but it's happening Archives. Hop on brother, it's going to be a fun ride.

I’m not sure how I feel about OU going to the SEC yet. Like you I love wearing my OU stuff when I travel. There are literally OU fans everywhere I go…even in Stillwater :). After the initial feeling of betrayal when Lincoln Riley left, I am excited about Venables and what we can be with him at the helm. Hopefully we’ll be tougher and more disciplined. Definitely stronger (Jerry Schmidt) and more mentally tough as well. We’ll see. I do know this … as far as recruiting is concerned we can be glad that Bob Stoops is in our corner. He definitely held a bad situation together very well that week or so before Venables was hired. Stoops might be an Ohio boy but he bleeds crimson and cream.

Got to admire your enthusiasm, as misplaced as it is

Texas ain't the only one with deep pockets alumni, other than Vanderbilt, there ain't another school in the SEC that won't follow suit, not mention a few in the Big Ten

And I'll even give you another prediction, within time, there will only be a few if not just two super conferences in college athletics, both with limited time spans as far as national appeal, the sports fan isn't going to get too excited watching two semi pro leagues play, as I said, Triple A ball. The remainder of schools will amend the rules and fall into more amateur level participation

Got another one for you Archives. This was announced on Christmas Eve. I've almost lost track now but this may be the fifth 5* star in the 2022 & 2023 classes that Riley has gotten since coming on board. Ultimately Riley has to prove it on the field but told you man, the sleeping giant has been awaken.

True….but I’m predicting that the NCG will have the lowest rating since the CFP began.

That would not shock me in the least. They can rightfully say 'hate the game, not the player'. But the reality is we just saw this game a few weeks back and it's kind of been the same thing over and over. I'm a die hard college football fan and I don't even know how much of the game I'll watch. I have no interest in it.

The risk to college football as a whole is it is becomes a regional sport. If I'm the SEC I'd say so what, and understandably so because they are dominating. But to your point about the ratings anecdotally I've heard others (here in California) who are college football fans express limited interest as well. We'll obviously find out next week.

True….but I’m predicting that the NCG will have the lowest rating since the CFP began.

That is true. But then, if Alabama played anyone else the ratings would also be down, at least some.

The solution is for someone to step up and beat us. Clemson did their part. Who will be next?

That would not shock me in the least. They can rightfully say 'hate the game, not the player'. But the reality is we just saw this game a few weeks back and it's kind of been the same thing over and over. I'm a die hard college football fan and I don't even know how much of the game I'll watch. I have no interest in it.

The risk to college football as a whole is it is becomes a regional sport. If I'm the SEC I'd say so what, and understandably so because they are dominating. But to your point about the ratings anecdotally I've heard others (here in California) who are college football fans express limited interest as well. We'll obviously find out next week.

Yes, we did see this game a few weeks ago. But who else would you have put in the top 4? I think Cincy was legit. Michigan certainly looked the part until they took the field against Georgia.

Yes, we did see this game a few weeks ago. But who else would you have put in the top 4? I think Cincy was legit. Michigan certainly looked the part until they took the field against Georgia.

It has nothing to do with them not being worthy. Clearly they both earned their spot in the title game. And that's why I caveated my statement with 'hate the game, not the player' because they earned this. I was rather commenting on why viewership may be down.

That is true. But then, if Alabama played anyone else the ratings would also be down, at least some.

The solution is for someone to step up and beat us. Clemson did their part. Who will be next?

I expect a better game from GA this time. It's almost always tough to beat a good opponent in a rematch. But then again GA is going against the GOAT for a coach.

i think the Dawgs will git-r-done this time

I'm kinda thinking that too. Seemed like an aberration for 'bama to suddenly play so well and GA suddenly not in the same game. But it should be good. I'll be watching. (Gives me a good excuse to drink a lot of beer around the Mrs.)

It has nothing to do with them not being worthy. Clearly they both earned their spot in the title game. And that's why I caveated my statement with 'hate the game, not the player' because they earned this. I was rather commenting on why viewership may be down.

Not to sound cynical, nor echoing the same, but "viewership" was down, and will be going forward, because viewers recognize it for what it has become, semi pro football, money is the common denominator to success.

Nothing innately wrong about that, I love watching Triple AAA baseball, but Triple AAA baseball doesn't pretend to be anything but what it is, can't say the same for college football, and more views are aware of it now, especially with recent developments

I'm kinda thinking that too. Seemed like an aberration for 'bama to suddenly play so well and GA suddenly not in the same game. But it should be good. I'll be watching. (Gives me a good excuse to drink a lot of beer around the Mrs.)

thats the spirit !

Not to sound cynical, nor echoing the same, but "viewership" was down, and will be going forward, because viewers recognize it for what it has become, semi pro football, money is the common denominator to success.

Nothing innately wrong about that, I love watching Triple AAA baseball, but Triple AAA baseball doesn't pretend to be anything but what it is, can't say the same for college football, and more views are aware of it now, especially with recent developments

You ever watch the various ESPN 30 for 30's on college football in the '80's? Man, they were cheating left and right and at ridiculous levels. None of this is new, it's just more above board now (in terms of paying players).

Free agency in CF seems to have gotten out of control. I don't mind it but for a non red shirted player to transfer and be eligible the next year doesn't seem right.

The viewership will be down because of the fatigue of seeing Bama in it again, and the fact that it is an all SEC game. Viewers don't care about it being "semi pro" or the money.

Back