College football conference championships, CFP predictions

Ohio State or Michighan, what's the difference, OSU wins one game and it is as predicted, and Cincinnati, come on, you really can't believe that good coaching and recruiting on their own got Cincinnati there, and what is the probability they will be there next year of the year after

Well, good luck, but if it doesn't happen, and, as I am predicting, the sh*t hiting the fan with money in college football over the next couple of years, remember where you heard it first.

Yes, I certainly can believe that good coaching and recruiting are what got Cincy into the playoffs. What else could it be? Getting top quality athletes, developing them, and then having top level coaching is the ONLY way any team gets to the playoffs.

So this year we have two first timers, one team making it for the second time and Alabama in the playoffs. Is Venables guaranteed to get OU into the playoffs consistently like Riley did? Will Dabo continue to get Clemson into the playoffs having lost his top two long time coordinators? But despite all that's happening at USC right now with the new coach, all the five star recruits and taking multiple coaches away from blue bloods and other SEC schools (our new OL coach announced today coming from A&M) and our history you can't get over the fact that 'SC is a private school.

Remember me in two or three years when it happens.

This is exactly why I continue to say that Coach Saban is the G.O.A.T.. People are questioning whether Dabo will continue to get into the playoffs after losing his 2 long time coordinators. How many coordinators and assistant coaches has Saban lost during his unprecedented run? And yet Bama continues to be in the elite levels.

This is exactly why I continue to say that Coach Saban is the G.O.A.T.. People are questioning whether Dabo will continue to get into the playoffs after losing his 2 long time coordinators. How many coordinators and assistant coaches has Saban lost during his unprecedented run? And yet Bama continues to be in the elite levels.

I don’t think too many people question Saban being the greatest. He does have a lot of turnover (although he does have the resources to go hire the best - but nonetheless he is confident enough in himself to do so whereas others may be threatened by bringing in the quality of people he does)

This will be a new test for Dabo.

You think Cincinnati threw a bunch of money at 3* players? (because they don't have many 4* or 5* on their roster) That doesn't make sense. Luke Fickell is a hell of a coach and they've done an amazing job.

Lots of people are saying N.I.L and the money involved will f up the college game (and I don't disagree), but it's here. Did you read the ESPN article? Have you been to L.A.? Money isn't the problem for USC. All recruiting pitches now include N.I.L and how to profit off it. It's going to be fun...

“Fun” if you want to watch a lesser version of the NFL, I like Triple A baseball cause I like the game, but can’t imagine most people do given they can just as easily see a MLB game.

Yes, I certainly can believe that good coaching and recruiting are what got Cincy into the playoffs. What else could it be? Getting top quality athletes, developing them, and then having top level coaching is the ONLY way any team gets to the playoffs.

No, spending, anyway you can, above or below ground, is the common denominator for getting to the playoffs, and being a perennial factor in the playoffs, history proves it

I don’t think too many people question Saban being the greatest. He does have a lot of turnover (although he does have the resources to go hire the best - but nonetheless he is confident enough in himself to do so whereas others may be threatened by bringing in the quality of people he does)

This will be a new test for Dabo.

As I have implied, it’s not as hard to score if you started on third base, put Sabin at say Boston College with Boston College’s guidelines on their football program and see how he would do over say five years

“Fun” if you want to watch a lesser version of the NFL, I like Triple A baseball cause I like the game, but can’t imagine most people do given they can just as easily see a MLB game.

I much prefer watching college football. The games matter more, both to the players and the fans. And there is much more likely to be an upset in college games. Given a choice between an NFL game and a college game, I will be watching the college game every time.

As I have implied, it’s not as hard to score if you started on third base, put Sabin at say Boston College with Boston College’s guidelines on their football program and see how he would do over say five years

Look back at how Alabama was doing before Saba was hired. There were some legacy players, but mostly a middle of the road year was the best we could hope for.

There is no better coach in college football, now or in history.

No, spending, anyway you can, above or below ground, is the common denominator for getting to the playoffs, and being a perennial factor in the playoffs, history proves it

Plenty of schools have spent big and did not succeed.

Without the right coaching and players, you do not make the playoffs.

Look back at how Alabama was doing before Saba was hired. There were some legacy players, but mostly a middle of the road year was the best we could hope for.

There is no better coach in college football, now or in history.

You didn't answer the question, "put Sabin at say Boston College with Boston College’s guidelines on their football program and how he would do over say five years?"

It’s still going to be the same football with the same pageantry. It’s not going to change the product on the field.

Plenty of schools have spent big and did not succeed.

Without the right coaching and players, you do not make the playoffs.

He’s not wrong that certain schools put more emphasis and resources into football than others. But as you stated that doesn’t guarantee success. Texas is the biggest one that stands out. I have a buddy that’s a big A&M booster, that school will not be out spent yet how much success have they had? The other obvious school is Oregon. Phil Knight has pumped tens of millions of dollars into that program and they haven’t won sh*t. (And watch them now fall back again once USC is back.). Cincinnati has had a solid program for years and finally broke through.

Now I will say I get the concern some have that the same teams were making the playoffs year after year and it was making the game a more regional sport. I’d be thrilled if that was my team but as a whole I understand why it’s not appealing for everyone.

It’s still going to be the same football with the same pageantry. It’s not going to change the product on the field.

Nothing personal, but what are you talking about, "not going to change the product on the field," it is going to transform college football from an image of at least token amateur athletics to straight out professional football. Sure, in those areas where that is all they have going for them, the bands will still play and the cheer leaders will still cheer, but in the rest of America, where the big bucks are made, it will in time be viewed as a Triple A product

Nothing personal, but what are you talking about, "not going to change the product on the field," it is going to transform college football from an image of at least token amateur athletics to straight out professional football. Sure, in those areas where that is all they have going for them, the bands will still play and the cheer leaders will still cheer, but in the rest of America, where the big bucks are made, it will in time be viewed as a Triple A product

Maybe people will stop watching now that N.I.L. exists as opposed to when kids got paid under the table. But based on the money these TV contracts are going for a lot of people don’t think that will be the case.

Are you arguing people in places like NYC, Chicago or the Bay Area who watched college football previously will now stop because of N.I.L.?

Maybe people will stop watching now that N.I.L. exists as opposed to when kids got paid under the table. But based on the money these TV contracts are going for a lot of people don’t think that will be the case.

Are you arguing people in places like NYC, Chicago or the Bay Area who watched college football previously will now stop because of N.I.L.?

Don't know, when Texas alumni are offering a fifty thousand dollar basically salary for offensive linemen, it kinda signals where it is going to go and how quickly it will escalate

Those are leading TV viewing areas, but be honest, say in ten years when hypothetically say two SEC school each with multi million dollar budgets in player personnel meet on the field you are going to look at it as the same pageantry you see now?

Don't know, when Texas alumni are offering a fifty thousand dollar basically salary for offensive linemen, it kinda signals where it is going to go and how quickly it will escalate

Those are leading TV viewing areas, but be honest, say in ten years when hypothetically say two SEC school each with multi million dollar budgets in player personnel meet on the field you are going to look at it as the same pageantry you see now?

Texas has the largest athletic department in the country. But they have big time donors who want their hands in everything. It’s why they have been such a cluster fvck. Paying kids more money isn’t going to change that. And “8 win” Sark is still their coach.

I mentioned in a previous post about the concerns on the sport becoming more regional with the dominance of the SEC. From a big picture perspective I’m not a fan of it. But things ebb and flow. ‘SC is going to put the West Coast back on the map in two years.

Texas has the largest athletic department in the country. But they have big time donors who want their hands in everything. It’s why they have been such a cluster fvck. Paying kids more money isn’t going to change that. And “8 win” Sark is still their coach.

I mentioned in a previous post about the concerns on the sport becoming more regional with the dominance of the SEC. From a big picture perspective I’m not a fan of it. But things ebb and flow. ‘SC is going to put the West Coast back on the map in two years.

Got to admire your enthusiasm, as misplaced as it is

Texas ain't the only one with deep pockets alumni, other than Vanderbilt, there ain't another school in the SEC that won't follow suit, not mention a few in the Big Ten

And I'll even give you another prediction, within time, there will only be a few if not just two super conferences in college athletics, both with limited time spans as far as national appeal, the sports fan isn't going to get too excited watching two semi pro leagues play, as I said, Triple A ball. The remainder of schools will amend the rules and fall into more amateur level participation

You didn't answer the question, "put Sabin at say Boston College with Boston College’s guidelines on their football program and how he would do over say five years?"

What guidelines would those be?

And would Boston College be all in to support Saban?

Back