College Football is back!

WinterBorn

Verified User
The top teams did as they were expected to do. Alabama had a slow start but then started clicking on all cylinders.

Ohio State looked solid, as expected.

Tennessee paid Georgia State $950,000 to come and beat them.

But I think I enjoyed Jalen Hurts debut as the new OU QB almost as much as the Alabama win. Hurts was 20/23 and 332 yards passing, with 3 TDs. And he had 176 yards on the ground with 3 more TDs. A total of 508 yards, 5th most in OU history. Could OU be getting him ready for the 3rd Heisman in a row for an Oklahoma QB? Well done, Jalen!!

The top teams did as they were expected to do. Alabama had a slow start but then started clicking on all cylinders.

But I think I enjoyed Jalen Hurts debut as the new OU QB almost as much as the Alabama win. Hurts was 20/23 and 332 yards passing, with 3 TDs. And he had 176 yards on the ground with 3 more TDs. A total of 508 yards, 5th most in OU history. Could OU be getting him ready for the 3rd Heisman in a row for an Oklahoma QB? Well done, Jalen!!

Ohio State played a tomato can,much ado about nothing!

Actually OSU didn't look that solid. They spanked FSGC for one quarter then FSGC outplayed them the rest of the game. Granted OSU put their scrubs in early but given recent history of being black balled from the Playoff that was a stupid move. They should have poured it on and won 72 to 0. Also the Bucks defense looked like it couldn't make up its mind on defense on when to play man to man or when to play zone.

So now I fully expect that OSU didn't defeat FSGC 148 to 0 will be held against them.

Actually OSU didn't look that solid. They spanked FSGC for one quarter then FSGC outplayed them the rest of the game. Granted OSU put their scrubs in early but given recent history of being black balled from the Playoff that was a stupid move. They should have poured it on and won 72 to 0. Also the Bucks defense looked like it couldn't make up its mind on defense on when to play man to man or when to play zone.

So now I fully expect that OSU didn't defeat FSGC 148 to 0 will be held against them.

Joe Burrow named SEC Offensive Player of the Week, shares honor with Tua

Burrow tied a school record with five touchdown passes — all in the first half — during LSU's season-opening 55-3 win over Georgia Southern, matching the single-game record set by Zach Mettenberger in 2013.

Burrow finished 23-of-27 for 278 yards, and LSU scored its most points in a season opener since 2000. Burrow played one drive in the second half before he was replaced by backup Myles Brennan.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_438ea340-cd9b-11e9-8b32-07f4bcc5c860.html

LSU no problems in the week 1 cupcake bowl.
Its funny seeing the Sooners becomming a QB mill after sonmany years of running up the score on the ground.

Does this mean for the next four months we are going to tell us Alabama is the best in history and Sabin is a genius cause they have the best that money can buy?

Love to see where Alabama would fall if they started with the funding Vanderbilt extends and how Sabin would do if he had to operate within the student expectations that a Boston College demands

Tennessee fans got what they deserved.

lol

The Panthers were coming off a 2-10 season and were picked to finish last in their division of the Sun Belt. Given the Sun Belt’s bottom-feeder status, that put Georgia State squarely in the running to be considered the worst of the 130 teams in the FBS subdivision. And yet the Panthers just went into Neyland Stadium and humiliated Tennessee, while collecting a $950,000 guarantee check along the way.

Georgia State owned the second half, racking up 24 points and 242 yards after halftime. The Volunteers looked soft, lethargic and demoralized defensively as the half wore on and the boos became more pronounced from a disgusted home crowd.

They should've been booing themselves.

Forgive John Currie and Greg Schiano if they took a schadenfreude-tinged moment Saturday to enjoy Tennessee’s extended misery. This debacle is an outgrowth of letting a mob run the athletic department.

Currie was the athletic director who tried to hire Schiano in 2017, only to be thwarted by vigilante fans who exploited a thirdhand accusation about Schiano pertaining to his time at Penn State and the Jerry Sundusky scandal. In reality, the mob simply thought Schiano wouldn’t win at Tennessee — so they not only derailed the hire but started the push to oust Currie and replace him with Phil Fulmer, a comfortable name with no administrative experience.
https://sports.yahoo.com/10-takeawa...te-have-a-worse-week-1-debacle-053923348.html

Meh...he still couldn't crack the starting line up at OSU. Fields is way better.

Too early to say. You know he's been working his ass off all off-season since this is his last season of eligibility.

But I like how LSU is a bit off the radar. I wish they weren't even ranked.

Last edited:
After living over 33 years in Arizona, I became an Arizona State University fan. They have one of THE best backs in the country, Eno Benjamin. Hopefully he'll be injury-free and will lead ASU to a decent season and a decent bowl game. Even though I live just 25-30 miles from South Bend, I am NOT a fan of Notre Dame. Never was, never will be.

This weekend the biggest game is Clemson v. Texas A&M.

The oddsmakers have the spread listed between 17.5 to 21 points. I don't think they will cover. I think it will be close.

In fact, I am picking Texas A&M in a huge upset.

Yep! Ohio State and Alabama are both on light duty schedules!

Shouldn't be much of a challenge!

Someone asked Coach Saban about scheduling lightweights and cupcakes. His response was priceless.

“Why don’t you start calling around and get somebody to play us? We’ll play anybody you get to play us.” - Nick Saban

Meh...he still couldn't crack the starting line up at OSU. Fields is way better.

Fields - 20 of 25 for 225 yds 2 TD's home against unranked Cincinnati . Very impressive.
Burrow - 31 of 39 for 471 yds and 4 TD's at #9Texas. So so.
Seriously, this guy Burrow is a treasure. He was unstoppable which is what LSU needed because they couldn't stop Texas n the second half.

Last edited:
Fields - 20 of 25 for 225 yds 2 TD's home against unranked Cincinnati . Very impressive.
Burrow - 31 of 39 for 471 yds and 4 TD's at #9Texas. So so.
Seriously, this guy Burrow is a treasure. He was unstoppable which is what LSU needed because they couldn't stop Texas n the second half.

I’m very glad that Joe is doing so well at a second tier program. He was certainly one of OSU’s better backups.

Jalen Hurts is off to a good start too.
Backups seem to be doing well in second tier programs.
Is Clemson the only top tier program now?

No, Clemson is not the only top tier program, despite what sports prognosticators seem to be reporting.

Jalen Hurts is doing quite well. But I would hardly call Oklahoma a second tier program. I think making the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years pretty much puts you in the top tier. And OU has done much better than LSU in recent years.

Both ended the 2014 season at 8-5 and were unranked. However, even though LSU has gotten better, they have not done what Lincoln Riley has done.

In the last 5 years, in addition to making the playoffs 3 times, the Sooners have gone 54-13. LSU has gone 44-19.
In the last 4 years, OU is 46-8. LSU is 36-14.

If Oklahoma's defense had had a pulse for the last 2 years, they could have been in the Championship games.

OU has ended the season ranked in the top 5 for the last 4 years. LSU has only finished in the top 10 once (#6 last year).

Don't get me wrong, Clemson has earned all the accolades they are getting. They are a dominant team. But the only top tier team? No.

Back