Consumer Spending Stalls in January

Were you waiting for me on the tennis court today ?
what does my education level matter at this point in my life is I am well fixed for the rest of my life ? Are you well fixed for the rest of your life ?
I am going to give up a job that paid me over 200k gross last year so some one else can still work that needs the money worse than I do.
Can or would you do that ?

Tee hee.

usged I am contemplating retiring at 50 in 2 years.
Your accomplishments are great, but they prove my point how good our economy is. Its all political gamesmanship by the party out of power to talk it down. The fact that you finished high school decadesz before the first pc and can still make serious coin is a positive.
Historically speaking 5 percent unemployment is great and nearly 70 percent owning homes is great. Those owning more than 5 years have huge gains and that is the majority.

Lets see if your investments hold up over the next year or two for you to retire on schedule.
You will have paid health insurance on you and your wife if you retire at 50 ?

Just wait till those Tennis Knees kick in.

The Federal Reserve's rescue has failed

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, International Business Editor
Last Updated: 12:43pm GMT 03/03/2008

The verdict is in. The Fed's emergency rate cuts in January have failed to halt the downward spiral towards a full-blown debt deflation. Much more drastic action will be needed.

Yields on two-year US Treasuries plummeted to 1.63pc on Friday in a flight to safety, foretelling financial winter.
advertisement

The debt markets are freezing ever deeper, a full eight months into the crunch. Contagion is spreading into the safest pockets of the US credit universe.

It is hard to imagine a more plain-vanilla outfit than the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which manages bridges, bus terminals, and airports.

The authority is a public body, backed by the two states. Yet it had to pay 20pc rates in February after the near closure of the $330bn (£166m) "term-auction" market. It had originally expected to pay 4.3pc, but that was aeons ago in financial time.

"I never thought I would see anything like this in my life," said James Steele, an HSBC economist in New York.

No sane mortal needs to know what term-auction means, except that it too became a tool of the US credit alchemists. Banks briefly used the market as laboratory for conjuring long-term loans at Alan Greenspan's giveaway short-term rates. It has come unstuck. Next in line is the $45trillion derivatives market for credit default swaps (CDS).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/03/03/ccview103.xml

Bankruptcy Makes Gift Cards Worthless

Mar 3, 5:33 PM (ET)

By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO

NEW YORK (AP) - You know that Sharper Image gift card you got for Christmas? Right now, it's worthless. And other gift cards in your wallet could lose their value, too.

As more retailers file for bankruptcy or go out of business, more than $75 million in gift cards are at risk of becoming worthless pieces of plastic this year.

"If I knew this was going to happen, I would have used them right away," said Jon Tapper, a public relations executive from Boston who received two Sharper Image cards as business gifts just a few weeks ago. Their total face value is $50.

"I love gift cards, but now this makes me think twice."

(AP) A pair of unredeemable gift cards from bankrupt retailer The Sharper Image that belong to Jon...
Full Image
The Sharper Image announced late last month that it was suspending the acceptance of gift cards, at least temporarily. It urged shoppers to check the company Web site later this month for an update. That is typical of businesses that reorganize under Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which treats gift cards as a loan to the company, not as cash.

For many shoppers, it's a harsh lesson about the risks of gift cards. Consumers spent an estimated $26.3 billion in gift cards at retailers alone last holiday season, compared with $24.8 billion in 2006 and $18.48 billion in 2005, according to the National Retail Federation.

C. Britt Beemer, chairman of America's Research Group, says "you will see a lot of frustration among customers. You basically stole (money) out of the customers' pocket. They will never forgive you."

The number of retail bankruptcies or liquidations this year is expected to reach the highest levels since the 1991 recession.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080303/D8V67QQO0.html

Automakers Suffer February Double Whammy

Monday March 3, 6:04 PM EST

DETROIT (AP) — Automakers got hit where it hurts in February, with U.S. sales of their most profitable vehicles — trucks, sport utilities and large sedans — plunging as consumers reacted to high gas prices and the possible recession. General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. announced second-quarter production cuts in the face of the falling sales.

GM reported a sales decline of almost 13 percent for the month while Ford's sales slumped 7 percent, Chrysler's tumbled 14 percent and Toyota's fell 3 percent.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8v689280&date=20080303

Well the bottom falling out of the guzzler market took longer than I epected though.

Good deal Topper. I am a consultant, other than paid holidays and vacation I get no benefits. Well they do pay $250 per month towards my health insurance.
But then I grossed over 200k.

I get my employee's health insurance thru a SBA state regulated / sponsored program and will get mine the same way. No pre-existing conditions thru that policy.

Back