Coolest recycling (and solar) use I have seen to date!

Incorrect. When you must use seal, increasing the width of the barrier increases your chances of successful seal. Sealing solely at the seam is the place with the largest failure rate. In short, there is a reason high pressure seals increase the surface of the seal using templates. O-rings are designed to spread, to increase the surface of the seal... on and on. You have a higher success rate if you can extend the surface with whatever you are using as a seal.

Apples and oranges. First reduce the length of seal, then increase its width. Flange-less you've reduced the length to zero.

When you seal a hole your goal is to have the least length of seam possible. The plate (you and Dune call it a flange) simply adds to the length of the seal, since the roof to bottle joint is still there. Say a bottle is 3" diameter and the plate is 8" square. In the hole only scenario the length of seam is 3*pi. In the plate scenario the length is 3*pi+4*8, over 4 times longer.

You also have more length of metal to cut, and likely screws from the plate to the roof, therefore your labor is higher as well.

stop being a dumbass.

http://www.fjmooremfg.com/

For more detailed model descriptions of our roof-mounted vent pipe flanges/flashing, please look around the site or contact us for a free brochure.​

DIPSHIT! how can this guy cut a perfect hole in place on a roof with a freaking cold chisel and a stone anvil?

The video mentioned "electric bill". In fact the whole idea is to save electricity costs for daytime lighting. So power tools should be available. Even so, you don't cut sheet metal roofing with a cold chisel, which is usually 23 gauge here but may be as thick as 20 gauge in this application. You make a starter hole with a hand drill then cut an accurate circular hole with tin snips.

stop being a dumbass.

http://www.fjmooremfg.com/

For more detailed model descriptions of our roof-mounted vent pipe flanges/flashing, please look around the site or contact us for a free brochure.​

...on a corrugated roof we use a round or oval rubber boot for a vent pipe.

... Most residential roofing in the US is three tab fiberglass shingle, and those use pipe boots with rectangular bases.

On corrugated roofs, "we" use this thing that guy doesn't have, doesn't have the money to pay for, but should be using because DY believes he should and it would be "cheaper" than using materials at hand with tools he already owns that has worked successfully in the past and doesn't cost more than labor...

On corrugated roofs, "we" use this thing that guy doesn't have, doesn't have the money to pay for, but should be using because DY believes he should and it would be "cheaper" than using materials at hand with tools he already owns that has worked successfully in the past and doesn't cost more than labor...
I never suggested that "he" use what "we" use.

The water in a one-liter bottle weighs about two pounds. That's not enough to pull down through a joint like that. I don't think you could pull that bottle through without ripping it apart, and that's without sealant.

Corrugated roofing is what is used in this application. These roofs are relatively flat, perhaps a 1" rise in one foot. Fiberglass shingle roofs need at least 4 on 12 to drain properly and keep the wood substrate below from rotting.

That's the idea.
The ability to install the bottle so that it doesn't have the opporturnity to pull apart.

I'm not sure why you included the rest of your post.

Did you even watch the video? It shows him cutting the circle with a chisel.
By the way, you most certainly do cut sheet metal with a chisel if you choose to.
I don't tell you how to be a bigot, please don't tell me how to work metal.

Again, he wants tools he can carry with him easily, that he already owns or can afford easily, and wants to use material that is readily available and almost always at low cost or even no cost. Recycling the corrugated roofing that is too small to use on the roof, using plastic bottles that people throw in the streets, and with the least amount of tools possible the man lights houses that would otherwise be in darkness. And what do we do? Demand he use rubber seals we use in the US for the same type of roof? What?

Did you even watch the video? It shows him cutting the circle with a chisel.
By the way, you most certainly do cut sheet metal with a chisel if you choose to.
I don't tell you how to be a bigot, please don't tell me how to work metal.
Why are you getting upset and calling me names? If you want to cut a crappy hole, then use a chisel. Use tin snips if you want to do a good job.

Again, he wants tools he can carry with him easily, that he already owns or can afford easily, and wants to use material that is readily available and almost always at low cost or even no cost. Recycling the corrugated roofing that is too small to use on the roof, using plastic bottles that people throw in the streets, and with the least amount of tools possible the man lights houses that would otherwise be in darkness. And what do we do? Demand he use rubber seals we use in the US for the same type of roof? What?
USF apparently is advocating a rubber boot, and I agree its a dumb idea. It would cover up the upper portion of the bottle and not allow sunlight to get in.

USF apparently is advocating a rubber boot, and I agree its a dumb idea. It would cover up the upper portion of the bottle and not allow sunlight to get in.

How you arrived at this conclusion, is a road that only you could travel.
I mentioned the metal roof vent, you're the one who brought up the rubber boot, and now you're attempting to put this on me.

You're delusional.

Y'all act like these folks have no access to tools. It's hilarious. Send the guy some snips.

Why? He appears to be doing a fine job without them.

Y'all act like he has the same monetary and retail experience in a third-world nation that you have in the US driving a Beemer...

Back