Decent Debate

CNN reporting 54% of debate watchers say Obama won, 30% say McCain won.

So, I guess it really doesn't matter why I think he won. :)

It doesn't really matter who thinks who won. The debate had a marginal impact on the upcoming election. After two years or more of campaigning. If you don't know where the candidates stand you've been living in a cave.

did you notice how they turned off during attacks

it may be that undecided voters do not like the attack ads

the chart was fun to watch though
Yup. They'd be talking about something the lines would be going up, then they'd mention their opponent and BAM, back to zero.

LOL Really is that what that wheezing was? I swear I was worried he was going to drop. Honestly, if those are dentures he is wearing Meg, he should get new ones? They're yellow.
They are not dentures, it is an effect of chemo with some people to turn their teeth yellow.

Personally I'd get them capped.

It doesn't really matter who thinks who won. The debate had a marginal impact on the upcoming election. After two years or more of campaigning. If you don't know where the candidates stand you've been living in a cave.
Late-breakers are always like that. This part of the election is for them. That's what an "October Surprise" is really for too. That everybody here has already talked Ayers, doesn't mean that these "uncommitteds" have even heard the name at all.

Late-breakers are always like that. This part of the election is for them. That's what an "October Surprise" is really for too. That everybody here has already talked Ayers, doesn't mean that these "uncommitteds" have even heard the name at all.

Or Keating...

Or Keating...
Keating, far more likely being as it is S&L and 20 years or so ago. That one is going to have a lot less wash compared to Mr. "Guilty as Hell, Free as a Bird!" throwing his coming out party as reported by CNN.

Yeah the bill for the S&L bailout comes dues soon. Those 30 yr treasury bonds that financed it will come due.

Did anybody else think that the whole "Town Hall" theme was wrecked? Tom Brokaw stank.
If I didn't know better I would think you got your GOP talking points. Before the debate was over the GOP was complaining that "This wasn't a REAL town hall format" in an attempt to cover for Creepy McCrawly's not winning in the eyes of the viewers. But with you I DO know better.

Did anybody else think that the whole "Town Hall" theme was wrecked? Tom Brokaw stank.

Well, I thought that Obama was so good. I know you guys will make fun of me, and that’s OK, I don’t mind. But he actually kind of almost convinced me that, hey, maybe things really can turn around? And I haven’t been feeling that way lately at all. I kinda think we’re doomed. So anyway, the format was fine for me because the guy I’m pulling for really ruled it. And he did that in many ways, even though some people on this thread apparently didn’t see it, the polls are really reflecting what I thought I saw. He did it by really instilling confidence that this guy knows what he’s talking about, that’s cool and very collected – in fact, he is the steady hand that McCain was saying we need. I mean, that wasn’t the smartest thing for McCain to keep saying, because more people than not were taking that as an endorsement of Obama. And also, and I think this is why you are complaining about the “format” and I don’t think you even realize it – the physicality of the format just made Obama rule. You have this hunched over short guy, breathing heavy, and you had this tall, commanding presence next to him.

It’s always interesting to read this board and then watch the polling. It really confirms to me that even though people like you and Epic, etc., truly believe otherwise – I’m way more tuned into the mainstream than any of you are. I might not be of the mainstream, but I’m tuned into them, and you guys just are not.

If I didn't know better I would think you got your GOP talking points. Before the debate was over the GOP was complaining that "This wasn't a REAL town hall format" in an attempt to cover for Creepy McCrawly's not winning in the eyes of the viewers. But with you I DO know better.

;)

"Well, I thought that Obama was so good. I know you guys will make fun of me, and that’s OK, I don’t mind. But he actually kind of almost convinced me that, hey, maybe things really can turn around? "

I thought he was great, on just about every issue - especially on healthcare, energy & education (and, once again, he certainly held his own on foreign policy).

All of the talking heads afterwards were complaining that it was a "boring" debate, but there was plenty of substance. It's funny how we are now; I think everyone wants that 'gotcha' moment, or the big gaffe, or the "where's the beef?" line. A detailed discussion of the issues, where you know exactly where the candidates stand afterwards, just doesn't cut it.

Well, I thought that Obama was so good. I know you guys will make fun of me, and that’s OK, I don’t mind. But he actually kind of almost convinced me that, hey, maybe things really can turn around? And I haven’t been feeling that way lately at all. I kinda think we’re doomed. So anyway, the format was fine for me because the guy I’m pulling for really ruled it. And he did that in many ways, even though some people on this thread apparently didn’t see it, the polls are really reflecting what I thought I saw. He did it by really instilling confidence that this guy knows what he’s talking about, that’s cool and very collected – in fact, he is the steady hand that McCain was saying we need. I mean, that wasn’t the smartest thing for McCain to keep saying, because more people than not were taking that as an endorsement of Obama. And also, and I think this is why you are complaining about the “format” and I don’t think you even realize it – the physicality of the format just made Obama rule. You have this hunched over short guy, breathing heavy, and you had this tall, commanding presence next to him.

It’s always interesting to read this board and then watch the polling. It really confirms to me that even though people like you and Epic, etc., truly believe otherwise – I’m way more tuned into the mainstream than any of you are. I might not be of the mainstream, but I’m tuned into them, and you guys just are not.

i was half joking last night when said mccain won. he won on a few of the topics but i was distracted for some parts and unable to focus as much as i would have liked. I re watched some of the parts I missed and now think Obama definitely at least tied the debate which = a win considering hes way ahead in the swing states.

mccains only 5'7. I even have 3 inches on him and i consider self short.

I heard a little genuiness in McCains voice last night at times.

It was his best performance in this entire campaign.

It is too little too late and I think he will be a broken man after this election.

He has always wanted the presidency and the Rs would always slap his hand.

They let Bush fuck up the entire country and then told McCrusty he could now have the nod because they knew it was a blow out set up.

I almost feel sorry for him.

It bothered me about obama lying about tax cuts as i thought the cap gains = a tax increase for plenty of families under 250k. However i Found this quote on him.. So now im taking his word

--- Families with incomes below $250,000 would pay current capital gains rates (a maximum tax of 15% on gains on assets held more than one year). Those earning more than $250,000 would face an increase -- a top rate of 20%.

-- The top dividend tax rate would remain the current 15% for those earning less than $250,000, but would rise to 20% for those earning above that threshold.

--- For single people, the tax increases above would apply to those earning more than $200,000.

i was half joking last night when said mccain won. he won on a few of the topics but i was distracted for some parts and unable to focus as much as i would have liked. I re watched some of the parts I missed and now think Obama definitely at least tied the debate which = a win considering hes way ahead in the swing states.

mccains only 5'7. I even have 3 inches on him and i consider self short.

I agree, and also – McCain did well. He was better than he was at the last debate. But Obama ruled it. At this point, what’s so bad for McCain is, it doesn’t matter how he performs. He needs Obama to suck. And Obama keeps giving these really presidential, calm, informed, performances, where he is showing his mastery of the issues. And he’s guiding the country’s gaze forward, into the future. McCain simply cannot win a debate while Obama is performing like that.

Im really happy the dems reached out to the east and west coast expensive area middle class folks and set the bar at 250k back in 04 and are sticking with it. We were in an abyss for a long time.

Back