Decent Debate

If I didn't know better I would think you got your GOP talking points. Before the debate was over the GOP was complaining that "This wasn't a REAL town hall format" in an attempt to cover for Creepy McCrawly's not winning in the eyes of the viewers. But with you I DO know better.
I really thought the whole thing stank. Town Hall formats usually have oddballs asking some really outrageous questions and I missed that.

I think McCain reeked. He didn't present the middle-income "rescue" program well at all. But I think Brokaw stank as a moderator too. Gwen Ifill did WAAAY better and I was wishing even she would ask a good follow up or two.

I've gotta say, one of my favorite things now is the way McCain continually tries to equate the word "fundamental" with "American worker"...

"Well, I thought that Obama was so good. I know you guys will make fun of me, and that’s OK, I don’t mind. But he actually kind of almost convinced me that, hey, maybe things really can turn around? "

I thought he was great, on just about every issue - especially on healthcare, energy & education (and, once again, he certainly held his own on foreign policy).

All of the talking heads afterwards were complaining that it was a "boring" debate, but there was plenty of substance. It's funny how we are now; I think everyone wants that 'gotcha' moment, or the big gaffe, or the "where's the beef?" line. A detailed discussion of the issues, where you know exactly where the candidates stand afterwards, just doesn't cut it.

I thought it was boring as crap. Great, they each got to state their talking points over again for the hundreth time. And they both spent so much time lying about their own plans and the other persons plans that it is a serious insult to our intelligence.

I thought it was boring as crap. Great, they each got to state their talking points over again for the hundreth time. And they both spent so much time lying about their own plans and the other persons plans that it is a serious insult to our intelligence.

I will take that as an admission that McCain lost then. :clink:

It’s always interesting to read this board and then watch the polling. It really confirms to me that even though people like you and Epic, etc., truly believe otherwise – I’m way more tuned into the mainstream than any of you are. I might not be of the mainstream, but I’m tuned into them, and you guys just are not.

We'll see. It wasn't a knock-out for either of them, but McCain came off better IMO. I doubt it will change many opinions either way.

"Well, I thought that Obama was so good. I know you guys will make fun of me, and that’s OK, I don’t mind. But he actually kind of almost convinced me that, hey, maybe things really can turn around? "

I thought he was great, on just about every issue - especially on healthcare, energy & education (and, once again, he certainly held his own on foreign policy).

All of the talking heads afterwards were complaining that it was a "boring" debate, but there was plenty of substance. It's funny how we are now; I think everyone wants that 'gotcha' moment, or the big gaffe, or the "where's the beef?" line. A detailed discussion of the issues, where you know exactly where the candidates stand afterwards, just doesn't cut it.

That is so true. Dick Gregory is so stupid, he was going on and on before the debate about how McCain was going to come out punching, and he was going to have to bloody Obama, and I knew that wasn’t going to happen, that McCain couldn’t afford to be seen that way. But I guess that if something like that doesn’t happen, then Dick Gregory can’t find anything to talk about. God knows he doesn’t give a damn about health care.

I just wasted an hour and a half of my life watching the Presidential debate. I thought both candidates performed fine. Of course how each of us will judge it depends on the answers we like hearing. Each essentially said the same thing they've said over and over on the campaign trial. Nothing really new. Can't see this changing anyone's mind as to who to vote for except maybe someone who hasn't tuned into the election until today.

Decent debate?

What the debate last night proved is that America is entirely leaderless.

It was bland, boring, and completely devoid of truth.

Neither one of these bozos are the leader this nation needs in a crisis.

No real questions were asked, no real answers given.

"Pipeline" not mentioned once, although they are an undeniable aspect of American foreign policy.

Decent debate?

"Pipeline" not mentioned once, although they are an undeniable aspect of American foreign policy.

They should include the Green Party leader and Libertarian leader, it would be good to see McCain and Obama squirm and have to answer questions related to actually taking a firm position on an issue. It would probably get higher ratings too.

Decent debate?

I wrote this right after the debate last night. As I've heard more today and realize now how much each candidate lied about thier own plans and the other person's plans the debate as a whole was not good.

That is so true. Dick Gregory is so stupid, he was going on and on before the debate about how McCain was going to come out punching, and he was going to have to bloody Obama, and I knew that wasn’t going to happen, that McCain couldn’t afford to be seen that way. But I guess that if something like that doesn’t happen, then Dick Gregory can’t find anything to talk about. God knows he doesn’t give a damn about health care.

Dick Gregory has been an outspoken advocate of health care and nutrition since the early 70's .. long before they became in vogue and before centrists latched on to the idea.

He has been an outspoken speaker on issues such as world hunger, violence, capital punishment, drug abuse, the Vietnam War, and poor health care in the US most of his professional life.

Any casual knowledge of his life demonstrates that truth.

He was right about McCain, he needed a homerun .. the fact that he didn't get it doesn't alter the fact that he needed it.

They should include the Green Party leader and Libertarian leader, it would be good to see McCain and Obama squirm and have to answer questions related to actually taking a firm position on an issue. It would probably get higher ratings too.

Absolutely, .. the inclusion of McKinney, Nader, Barr, and Ron Paul would have produced a real debate about real issues .. but of course, neither Obama or McCain would agree to such a debate.

I wrote this right after the debate last night. As I've heard more today and realize now how much each candidate lied about thier own plans and the other person's plans the debate as a whole was not good.

This nation is leaderless my brother and it is up to the American people to demand one .. as clearly indicated in the Declaration of Independence.

Absolutely, .. the inclusion of McKinney, Nader, Barr, and Ron Paul would have produced a real debate about real issues .. but of course, neither Obama or McCain would agree to such a debate.

Of course they wouldn't agree to it.

They want most of the nation to continue to think they have to choose between the Dem and the Repub candidates.

Giving people other options would ruin the scam.

Dick Gregory has been an outspoken advocate of health care and nutrition since the early 70's .. long before they became in vogue and before centrists latched on to the idea.

He has been an outspoken speaker on issues such as world hunger, violence, capital punishment, drug abuse, the Vietnam War, and poor health care in the US most of his professional life.

Any casual knowledge of his life demonstrates that truth.

He was right about McCain, he needed a homerun .. the fact that he didn't get it doesn't alter the fact that he needed it.

Dick Gregory the MSNBC anchor, and former white house reporter.

Not really, but the efforts to 'even things up' are always appreciated.

Pull the stick out of your ass moron....

then maybe you can relax enough to realize the difference between pointing out the irony in someones statement and trying to "even things up"

Back