Delaration of Independence: The Signers. Just a bit of history...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?

Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before they died.

Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.

Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.

What kind of men were they?

Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated, but they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.

Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was his reward.

Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.

At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.

John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

These men had courage, they helped to create something grand. I hope we remember them and why we actually celebrate the 4th of July....

Yes. They deserve honor. And the stupid globalization arguments you mindlesssly support are undoing everything they fought for.

The current crop of Democrats probably see themselves as patriots, destroying what the Founders created.

Just like you're ok with disrcrimination against white males in the workplace because "hey, you have two daughters". entrenched power often makes doing the wrong thing the easy thing.

Thanks, Damo. This sort of info just isn't available in the literature I'm reading in prep for the citizenship exam. It gives a lot more depth to the bare facts.

Thanks, Damo. This sort of info just isn't available in the literature I'm reading in prep for the citizenship exam. It gives a lot more depth to the bare facts.
I would love to come to the ceremony when you are sworn in as a citizen...

:D

Just like you're ok with disrcrimination against white males in the workplace because "hey, you have two daughters". entrenched power often makes doing the wrong thing the easy thing.
I am against discrimination in every form even if it includes your particular race. You misrepresent because you work hard to legitimize your position of support for race-based legislation. Not only are you ignorant of what I support, it is deliberate.

I'll let you know. I don't have to say under god, do I?
I don't think so.

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.[1]

"so help me God" is part of it though.

I don't think so.

"so help me God" is part of it though.

I think that that oath is given in concert, said at the same time by all the people who are being sworn in. So I can just be quiet during that phrase. To do otherwise would be hypocritical, and I don't think that this, in particular, is an occasion for that.

Or I can whisper "So help me Superfreak". That could get me in trouble! :)

I think that that oath is given in concert, said at the same time by all the people who are being sworn in. So I can just be quiet during that phrase. To do otherwise would be hypocritical, and I don't think that this, in particular, is an occasion for that.

Only if somebody who cares hears you. The phrase is probably optional, I mean we do accept atheists here... And people like me who don't think God has any interest in helping us.

Threedee here to save Damo from the Plagiarizing Gods. Source for inspiring post is Paul Harvey, who did an amazing presentation, Our Lives, Our Fortunes, and Our Sacred Honor.

Yes. They deserve honor. And the stupid globalization arguments you mindlesssly support are undoing everything they fought for.

Yeah we know, it was originally known as the Declaration of Protectionism in your nAHZiarro world. They did not fight for your principles at all.

You have two options when you pledge your allegiance:

1) You can swear or affirm your oath. This is because some people have a moral or religious issue with sweaing oaths. President J. Calvin Coolidge affirmed his oath for that very reason, and is the only one so far. One day, I'm tempted to affirm my military oath, just for the hell of it.

2) So help me God is optional. When I had a trained professional administer my enlistment oath in 2004, he specifically asked what my preference was. The officer who just swore me in yesterday didn't know any better, and never bothered to ask. God was pleased.

I'll let you know. I don't have to say under god, do I?
No you have to say "So Help Me God".

Well be doing that for my wife in the near future. We just have to get off our butts and do the paper work and pay the fee. She meets all the qualifications.

No you have to say "So Help Me God".

Well be doing that for my wife in the near future. We just have to get off our butts and do the paper work and pay the fee. She meets all the qualifications.

I can't say that either. I'll just keep quiet during that phrase, won't even say superfreak as he had suggested in an earlier post.

Back