Democrat corruption on the rise. Blagojevich

"They tried to screw us over with the big government approach and they got their ass kicked for it. "

You said that we were "screwed over." In fact, the Dem Congress defeated the watered down bill that eventually made it their way, prior to the '94 election. Whatever case you're trying to make is one of the Clintons over-reaching, not of the failure of one party rule.

The recovery in the '90's was a slow one. The mere idea that one party rule starting in '93 somehow led to economic weakness in '94 is absurd; do you have any causation for that, or is that purely Danectodal?

You should be embarassed. You have no case whatsoever for the American people getting "screwed" by one party rule from 92-94.

The GAO and the CBO credit the budget reductions of the 90s primarily to the 1993 budget reduction act of 1993, signed by not ONE republcian.

I hope they throw away the key on this scumball and catch any and all assholes like him no matter what side of the aisle they are on.

Budgets are done annually Desh. No matter how much you want to believe that the 1993 act somehow magically started working 5 years later but somehow couldn't work in 94-98.

The GAO and the CBO credit the budget reductions of the 90s primarily to the 1993 budget reduction act of 1993, signed by not ONE republcian.

I hope they throw away the key on this scumball and catch any and all assholes like him no matter what side of the aisle they are on.

I know this was argued to death but please be logical... we had a golden era with high tech in the 90's. It wouldn't have mattered if we had a tax increase or tax cut. It wouldnt have mattered if the president was jimmy carter, bush senior, or Clinton.

http://www.answers.com/topic/gramm-rudman-hollings-deficit-reduction-act

The most significant revision occurred in 1990, when Congress, faced with a deficit of $110 billion, enacted the Budget Enforcement Act, which cut the deficit substantially, made the deficit targets more flexible, and extended the target date for balancing the budget until 1995. The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 established new limits on discretionary government spending for fiscal years 1996 through 1998.

On the local level in my state its an absolute clusterfuck how many of the Dems are sleazy. Im convinced both sides have plenty of scum bags to go around but it seems that when one party has all the power it emboldens the criminal elements of the party.

You guys seriously need a new strong party, or the Republicans need to get back in line with the people of Mass.

Honestly, I think the best the for the Republicans in the northeast wold be to disaffiliate themselves from the national Republican party.

You guys seriously need a new strong party, or the Republicans need to get back in line with the people of Mass.

Honestly, I think the best the for the Republicans in the northeast wold be to disaffiliate themselves from the national Republican party.

I don't even think that would work. The best they could hope for is a legitimate leftist Progressive Party like in Vermont that takes 20% of the votes away from the Democratic candidates.

or maybe the massachussetts dems could clean their crooked ass up.

the MA legislature is embedded. They can totally scam the sham with things like the big dig and not pay any consequences. With a republican governor like celutchi and romney MA really thrived and rose to the top of nation in things such as education and healthcare while becoming very strong economical. This didn't happen because it was republican governor's but because of the checks and balances.

I don't even think that would work. The best they could hope for is a legitimate leftist Progressive Party like in Vermont that takes 20% of the votes away from the Democratic candidates.

And then the Dems put IRV into place in response, and suddenly that party has more legislators than Republicans?

The western Liberal parties in Canada disaffiliated from the nationals when they started fucking over the west. It was only somewhat successful, but they wouldn't exist today had they not.

Oh fuck, I hope he wasn't talking to anybody connected with Obama

With how my day has been going, I'm probably duping again:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/12/questions-arise.html

Questions Arise About the Obama/Blagojevich Relationship
December 09, 2008 3:37 PM

"Obviously like the rest of the people of Illinois I am saddened and sobered by the news that came out of the US attorney's office today," said President-elect Obama this afternoon in Chicago, speaking of the criminal complaint against Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich for corruption. "But as this is a ongoing investigation involving the governor I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment on the issue at this time."

Asked what contact he'd had with the governor's office about his replacement in the Senate, President-elect Obama today said "I had no contact with the governor or his office and so we were not, I was not aware of what was happening."

But on November 23, 2008, his senior adviser David Axelrod appeared on Fox News Chicago and said something quite different.

While insisting that the President-elect had not expressed a favorite to replace him, and his inclination was to avoid being a "kingmaker," Axelrod said, "I know he's talked to the governor and there are a whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them."

(UPDATE: An Obama Transition Team aide says that Axelrod misspoke on Fox News Chicago.)

There are no allegations that President-elect Obama or anyone close to him had anything to do with any of the crimes Gov. Blagojevich is accused of having committed.

In fact, there are indications that Mr. Obama and his team refused to go along with the "pay to play" way Blagojevich is accused of operating, offering only "gratitude" if the governor appointed his friend Valerie Jarrett to take his U.S. Senate seat, much to the governor's chagrin.

But there remain questions about how Blagojevich knew that Mr. Obama was not willing to give him anything in exchange for the Senate seat -- with whom was Blagojevich speaking? Did that person report the governor to the authorities?

And, it should be pointed out, Mr. Obama has a relationship with Mr. Blagojevich, having not only endorsed Blagojevich in 2002 and 2006, but having served as a top adviser to the Illinois governor in his first 2002 run for the state house.

That 2002 endorsement came at the same time that Axelrod had such serious concerns about whether Blagojevich was ready for governing he refused to work for his one-time client.

According to Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., Mr. Obama's incoming White House chief of staff, Emanuel, then-state senator Obama, a third Blagojevich aide, and Blagojevich's campaign co-chair, David Wilhelm, were the top strategists of Blagojevich's 2002 gubernatorial victory.

Emanuel told the New Yorker earlier this year that he and Obama "participated in a small group that met weekly when Rod was running for governor. We basically laid out the general election, Barack and I and these two."

On the Chicago TV show "Public Affairs with Jeff Berkowitz" on June 27, 2002, state Sen. Obama said, "Right now, my main focus is to make sure that we elect Rod Blagojevich as Governor, we..."

"You working hard for Rod?" interrupted Berkowitz.

"You betcha," said Obama.

"Hot Rod?" asked the host.

"That's exactly right," Obama said.

In 2004, then-Gov. Blagojevich enthusiastically endorsed Obama for the Senate seat after he won the nomination, and Obama endorsed Blagojevich for his 2006 re-election race in early 2005.

In the Summer of 2006, then-U.S. Sen. Obama backed Blagojevich even though there were serious questions at the time about Blago's hiring practices.

At the time, numerous state agencies had had records subpoenaed, with U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald telling authorities he was looking into "very serious allegations of endemic hiring fraud" with a "number of credible witnesses."

In an interview with the Chicago Daily Herald in July 2006, then-Sen. Obama said, "I have not followed closely enough what's been taking place in these investigations to comment on them. Obviously I'm concerned about reports that hiring practices at the state weren't, at times, following appropriate procedures. How high up that went, the degree at which the governor was involved, is not something I'm going to speculate on.

"If I received information that made me believe that any Democrat had not been acting in the public interest, I'd be concerned," Obama said.

That said, Mr. Obama said, "If the governor asks me to work on his behalf, I'll be happy to do it."

Apparently the governor did. At the Illinois State Fair in August 2006, Obama spoke on Blagojevich's behalf.

"We've got a governor in Rod Blagojevich who has delivered consistently on behalf of the people of Illinois," Obama told the crowd.

In January 2007, Blagojevich's office reserved the Old State Capitol for Mr. Obama's presidential announcement at Obama's request.

Blagojevich spokeswoman Rebecca Rausch told reporters that "Representatives for Sen. Obama contacted the governor's office regarding use of the Old State Capitol. We contacted the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and reserved the Old State Capitol for the Senator on February 10th."

The Old State Capitol is where President Abraham Lincoln delivered his "House Divided" speech in 1858.

Fitzgerald today said that the charges the government was making about Blagojevich "would make Lincoln turn over in his grave."

-- jpt

Wonder how obama got to where he was cleanly in Illinois which apparently is the most corrupt state in the union.

Back