Democrat Elites Were Slow to See What Voters Already Knew

martin

"President Biden and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez agree on this much: It is the elites who are trying to take Biden down, ignoring the sentiments of legions of Democratic voters. But when I started arguing in February that his age would mortally wound his candidacy, it didn’t feel that way to me. I saw the elites propping him up, ignoring the sentiments of legions of Democratic voters.

Who’s right?

Maybe we both are. In any system, elites are most visible when they are fractured and factions are acting against each other. In July 2023 — before the primaries, before last month’s debate — a Times/Siena poll found that Democratic primary voters, by 50 to 45 percent, preferred that the party nominate someone other than Biden in 2024.

But the Democratic Party’s elites were in lock step around Biden. They refused to listen to what their voters were saying. The fact that he was barely campaigning or giving unscripted interviews was rationalized rather than criticized. No major Democrats decided to challenge him for the nomination. Representative Dean Phillips’s effort to draft alternative candidates was rebuffed and his subsequent primary challenge ignored. Some of this reflected confidence in the president. Some of it reflected the consequences of challenging him.

The White House and the Democratic Party apparatus it controls are powerful. Congressional Democrats will not get their bills prioritized or their amendments attached if they are too critical of the party leadership...."

"President Biden and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez agree on this much: It is the elites who are trying to take Biden down, ignoring the sentiments of legions of Democratic voters. But when I started arguing in February that his age would mortally wound his candidacy, it didn’t feel that way to me. I saw the elites propping him up, ignoring the sentiments of legions of Democratic voters.

Who’s right?

Maybe we both are. In any system, elites are most visible when they are fractured and factions are acting against each other. In July 2023 — before the primaries, before last month’s debate — a Times/Siena poll found that Democratic primary voters, by 50 to 45 percent, preferred that the party nominate someone other than Biden in 2024.

But the Democratic Party’s elites were in lock step around Biden. They refused to listen to what their voters were saying. The fact that he was barely campaigning or giving unscripted interviews was rationalized rather than criticized. No major Democrats decided to challenge him for the nomination. Representative Dean Phillips’s effort to draft alternative candidates was rebuffed and his subsequent primary challenge ignored. Some of this reflected confidence in the president. Some of it reflected the consequences of challenging him.

The White House and the Democratic Party apparatus it controls are powerful. Congressional Democrats will not get their bills prioritized or their amendments attached if they are too critical of the party leadership...."

I'm not sure that we can truthfully, as voters, claim that the "elites" are trying to remove our choice by removing Biden. It's not like the primary ballots had anyone else we might have chosen.

I'm not sure that we can truthfully, as voters, claim that the "elites" are trying to remove our choice by removing Biden. It's not like the primary ballots had anyone else we might have chosen.
He's saying the elites are trying to remove your choice by giving you no one to choose except Biden. A large majority of voters avoided the primaries.

When has a sitting President ever been challenged in a Primary? Who would have successfully challenged him?
I guess a successful three and a half years means nothing to voters.
I’ve never seen anything like this. Throw old and experienced out for shiny and new. It’s ageist and it disgusts me.

When has a sitting President ever been challenged in a Primary? Who would have successfully challenged him?
I’ve never seen anything like this. Throw old and experienced out for shiny and new. It’s ageist and it disgusts me.
It's ageist if age is the reason. As Biden himself points out his age is not much greater than Trump's. The difference isn't age; it's the perception of vitality.

He's saying the elites are trying to remove your choice by giving you no one to choose except Biden. A large majority of voters avoided the primaries.
And why not someone other than Harris, if Biden quits the race? I have nothing against her other than I'm not sure that she can beat the orange shitgibbon and his makeup-wearing hillbilly.

Well, there was RFK Jr. if you are heavily into crackpots. lol

It's ageist if age is the reason. As Biden himself points out his age is not much greater than Trump's. The difference isn't age; it's the perception of vitality.
And that's it. The presidency takes a huge physical and mental toll on everyone no matter what their age. Remember how Obama's hair greyed and he visibly aged in 8 years? Where will Mr. Biden be in four more?

And that's it. The presidency takes a huge physical and mental toll on everyone no matter what their age. Remember how Obama's hair greyed and he visibly aged in 8 years? Where will Mr. Biden be in four more?

Obama and Biden took the job seriously, and it cost them as it has cost other presidents, but not Trump much since he used it to improve his
golf game and have a nice time.

Contempt for elections is the heart of the "The Stolen Election".

You've had contempt for elections sine Tammany Hall. Election fraud is a central part of the democrat party, the most critical element of any election strategy for democrats.

2020 gave democrats an alignment of the stars with the Wuhan Designer Virus® as an excuse for massive cheat by mail schemes.

And here is you shameful party - once again ignoring elections to serve the Oligarchy. Biden already won the nomination - it isn't a question. But your party has no respect for votes cast by the people - it never has.

Biden has the votes. He can run if he chooses. My problem is he froze in the debate slashing his chances. If he did this again in the next debate, the Dems would get slaughtered for not fixing their problem. It is a huge risk.

Biden has the votes. He can run if he chooses. My problem is he froze in the debate slashing his chances. If he did this again in the next debate, the Dems would get slaughtered for not fixing their problem. It is a huge risk.
The risk has failed already. It's been up to Biden to demonstrate that the guy we saw then was not the real Biden. He hasn't
demonstrated it. The very few tries he has made were at best wishy washy.

The risk has failed already. It's been up to Biden to demonstrate that the guy we saw then was not the real Biden. He hasn't
demonstrated it. The very few tries he has made were at best wishy washy.
You are helping Trump get elected.

Back