Democrat wants felons to vote?

Don't a couple of states allow incarcerated felons to vote now?

Maine allows felons to vote while incarcerated. Some states allow felons to vote after they have paid their debt to society. Others don't. Holder's point was that it should be available to all felons who have served their time and are back in society in EVERY state. That is not the case now.

The most common type of law regarding felon voting exists in 20 states. Under this version of the law, a felon automatically obtains a restoration of voting rights when his or her entire sentence is completed. This means the convicted felon is no longer incarcerated, or on parole, probation, or supervised release. These states are:

Alaska
Arkansas
Georgia
Idaho
Iowa
Kansas
Louisiana
Maryland
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Texas
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin

Application for Restoration of Rights
Eight states require convicted felons to apply for a restoration of their voting rights once they completely satisfy their sentences. Felons must complete their term of incarceration, probation, parole, or supervised release before they make application for a restoration of voting privileges. These states are:

Alabama
Arizona
Delaware
Florida
Mississippi
Nevada
Tennessee
Wyoming

No Restoration Permitted
Kentucky and Virginia prohibit convicted felons from ever voting.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_6500867_states-allow-convicted-felons-vote_.html#ixzz2t2aCBsXe

Kentucky and Virginia prohibit convicted felons from ever voting.

They do, Commander?

On May 29, 2013, Governor Bob McDonnell announced that he will automatically restore the ability to vote to all nonviolent felons who meet the following conditions:

1. have completed their term of incarceration and all probation or parole;
2. have paid all court costs, fines, and any restitution; and
3. have no pending felony charges.

Previously, individuals convicted of most nonviolent felonies had to wait two years to apply for a gubernatorial restoration of voting ability after completion of their sentence and the payment of any fines and restitution.

People convicted of violent felonies, drug sales or manufacturing, crimes against minors, and election law offenses must wait five years to apply for a gubernatorial restoration of rights.

For a listing of exactly which crimes are considered to be violent, and which are considered to be nonviolent, please see the Restoration of Rights (724 KB) page on the Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth website.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=286

They do, Commander?

On May 29, 2013, Governor Bob McDonnell announced that he will automatically restore the ability to vote to all nonviolent felons who meet the following conditions:

1. have completed their term of incarceration and all probation or parole;
2. have paid all court costs, fines, and any restitution; and
3. have no pending felony charges.

Previously, individuals convicted of most nonviolent felonies had to wait two years to apply for a gubernatorial restoration of voting ability after completion of their sentence and the payment of any fines and restitution.

People convicted of violent felonies, drug sales or manufacturing, crimes against minors, and election law offenses must wait five years to apply for a gubernatorial restoration of rights.

For a listing of exactly which crimes are considered to be violent, and which are considered to be nonviolent, please see the Restoration of Rights (724 KB) page on the Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth website.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=286

I see. Obviously your link (or was that maineman's?) is more current than mine. No problem. I never thought I "knew" all there is to know about this subject. I just "thought" I knew that some states allow convicted felons to vote, which I do not agree with, and that some states will allow them to regain their voting rights after they have served their time, which I do agree with. I also "thought" I knew that there were a couple of states that took them away permanently. Evidently I was wrong about one of them. Que-sara-sara. (Read that as Kay-Sarah-Sarah if you want to read it how I'm thinking it since I sound more like Andy and Barny than I do Doris Day) Oh, please don't refer to me as "commander" ... that's kind of wierd.

Back