Democrat wants felons to vote?

So in Maine, convicts serving felony sentences get to vote for (or against) judges and prosecutors.

What could go wrong? :rofl2:

who the fuck died and made you my boss?

I have absolutely ZERO need to decide anything so trivial as that, and I NEVER have the need to decide ANYTHING EVER simply because you tell me to.

got it?

I did. I have an opinion about the subject, and I expressed it. I just have no desire to get into yet another circular tar baby conversation with you about it. OK?

So this is only really an "issue" in two states?

One.

On May 29, 2013, Governor Bob McDonnell announced that he will automatically restore the ability to vote to all nonviolent felons who meet the following conditions:

1. have completed their term of incarceration and all probation or parole;
2. have paid all court costs, fines, and any restitution; and
3. have no pending felony charges.

Previously, individuals convicted of most nonviolent felonies had to wait two years to apply for a gubernatorial restoration of voting ability after completion of their sentence and the payment of any fines and restitution.

People convicted of violent felonies, drug sales or manufacturing, crimes against minors, and election law offenses must wait five years to apply for a gubernatorial restoration of rights.

For a listing of exactly which crimes are considered to be violent, and which are considered to be nonviolent, please see the Restoration of Rights (724 KB) page on the Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth website.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=286

They do, Commander?

On May 29, 2013, Governor Bob McDonnell announced that he will automatically restore the ability to vote to all nonviolent felons who meet the following conditions:

1. have completed their term of incarceration and all probation or parole;
2. have paid all court costs, fines, and any restitution; and
3. have no pending felony charges.

Previously, individuals convicted of most nonviolent felonies had to wait two years to apply for a gubernatorial restoration of voting ability after completion of their sentence and the payment of any fines and restitution.

People convicted of violent felonies, drug sales or manufacturing, crimes against minors, and election law offenses must wait five years to apply for a gubernatorial restoration of rights.

For a listing of exactly which crimes are considered to be violent, and which are considered to be nonviolent, please see the Restoration of Rights (724 KB) page on the Virginia Secretary of the Commonwealth website.

http://felonvoting.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=286

Now that could cost the Democrats ... if we had a decent way to actually monitor and check who is voting....but we don't

more than just two states damo.

Alabama... certain felons never get it back regardless of whether they served their sentence or not

Arizona... if you've got more than one felony rap, you have to apply to the sentencing court to vacate the sentence of one or more of them

Delaware... certain felonies cause permanent loss of voting rights

Florida... after serving your sentence, for some felonies you still have to wait and additional seven years and then appeal to the court to have your rights restored

Kentucky... after serving your sentence the governor himself has to issue you an executive pardon to get your voting rights back

Mississippi.... a long list of felonies are grounds for permanent revocation of one's voting rights...even after serving one's sentence.

Nevada.... after completion of their sentence, all violent felons must seek restoration of their voting abilities in the court in which they were convicted.

Tennessee... certain felonies are grounds for permanent revocation of one's voting rights.... even after serving one's sentence.

Wyoming.... second time offenders must wait five years after serving their sentence and then they must appeal personally to the governor for reinstatement of their voting rights.

so.... not just two states, damo...

for all of these, the restrictions apply to folks who have served their sentence as meted out by the courts, i.e.... they have paid their debt to society. Why not let them back into society again after their stretch is done?

Last edited:
if they pay their debt and participate in government, they can change the gun laws, can they not? If they cannot participate in government, they are powerless.

Imagine actual felons who want to change may aspire to be this guy: Judge Mathis

"As a young man, Greg Mathis was involved with gangs, dropped out of school, spent time behind bars. Growing up as a gang member and heroin dealer in the mean streets of Detroit, Michigan, Mathis had done plenty of time in juvenile detention centers before age 17. All this changed when a judge gave him an ultimatum of: either get a G.E.D. or go to jail. At the same time, Mathis found out his mother was dying of cancer. Rushing to her side, he promised her he'd turn his life around and so did: he attended college; passed the bar and earned a law degree; became the youngest judge in Michigan’s history and then served as a Superior Court Judge for Michigan’s 36th District."

People who are legitimate felons that have harmed people should not bask in the benefits of civil liberties such as voting (unless there is some controlled stipulation of proving their worth) but those who have made poor choices in their lives I personally see no reason why they shouldn't vote. I think Judge Gregory Mathis has proven that with some guidance your typical criminal can change.

Back