Democrats: "FAILURE IS THE ONLY OPTION!"

YOU have never actually been required to do any of the dying.

Nope... and it's really too bad you weren't ever required to, as well.

...I might have to change DPQM for this one, you're on a roll lately!

If you want to retell the story of the mythical trip to the marine recruiters and the discovery of the strange blood ailment that kept you from serving your country that mysteriously went away and then, for some odd reason, after the mysterious blood ailment mysteriously went away, you never quite found the time to make it back to the marine corps recruiter to finally actually go serve your country..... if you want to match that up with the story of a guy who left high school and went to a service academy and upon graduation, served his country for over twenty years..... if you want to denigrate his service to his country and suggest that it is too bad that he didn't die for his country...if that is how you "honor the service" of veterans...if you want to match your service to country up against his, PLEASE.... let's tell that story over and over again. I think I come out pretty well in that comparision.....go for it.

Strong sense of national pride? How is that?

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wolf0126/rebuild.html

Statement from the British School of Archaeology in Iraq, December 2002
Sent to the Foreign Secretary on 27 December 2002, the Prime Minister on 11 February 2003, and the Defence Secretary on 20 March 2003

The reconstruction of Iraq

The heritage of Iraq has considerable potential for the crucial task of forging national unity in Iraq, a country with no natural borders and an extremely disparate population which is in severe danger of splitting into a number of warring segments. All these groups do however share a common pride in their past, a pride which was successfully exploited by Saddam Hussein.
The history and archaeology of the country are of major global significance: Iraq is the source of many aspects of Western culture as we know it today.
The archaeological and historical remains are a non-renewable resource.
For all these reasons it is extremely desirable that any reconstruction plans include some provision for safeguarding the archaeological sites, the standing monuments and the artefacts in museums and private collections.
--------------------------------------

Iraqis have a strong sense of national cultural pride, it emanates from their Sumerian and Babylonian heritage, and is one of the reasons most Iraqis want the US to leave as soon as we can. When I say "Iraqis" I mean, the people who live in the region known today, as Iraq. I realize Iraq wasn't a nation in Sumerian times. Just so you are clear about that.

If you want to retell the story of the mythical trip to the marine recruiters and the discovery of the strange blood ailment that kept you from serving your country that mysteriously went away and then, for some odd reason, after the mysterious blood ailment mysteriously went away, you never quite found the time to make it back to the marine corps recruiter to finally actually go serve your country..... if you want to match that up with the story of a guy who left high school and went to a service academy and upon graduation, served his country for over twenty years..... if you want to denigrate his service to his country and suggest that it is too bad that he didn't die for his country...if that is how you "honor the service" of veterans...if you want to match your service to country up against his, PLEASE.... let's tell that story over and over again. I think I come out pretty well in that comparision.....go for it.

No, I don't think I need to tell the story of how I wanted to serve in the Marines like my brother had, but was unable to pass the physical because of a bone marrow disorder, which I eventually had to undergo years of treatment for. I don't think I will embarrass you further, by pointing out the times you categorized this as "avoiding service" or being a coward.

I have not denigrated your service, if you did indeed serve. I don't know, as much as you play your hero card, if you really did serve, you must have not been too great, heroes don't have to brag. I just found the statement funny, and thought I would throw it back at you. The Navy didn't 'require' you to die, if they did, you obviously disobeyed direct orders and should be court martialed.

No, I don't think I need to tell the story of how I wanted to serve in the Marines like my brother had, but was unable to pass the physical because of a bone marrow disorder, which I eventually had to undergo years of treatment for. I don't think I will embarrass you further, by pointing out the times you categorized this as "avoiding service" or being a coward.

I have not denigrated your service, if you did indeed serve. I don't know, as much as you play your hero card, if you really did serve, you must have not been too great, heroes don't have to brag. I just found the statement funny, and thought I would throw it back at you. The Navy didn't 'require' you to die, if they did, you obviously disobeyed direct orders and should be court martialed.

just as I have no idea whether this cock and bull story about the terrible bone marrow disorder is worth anything other than a laugh. your brother could have never been near a marine uniform and could be doing time for grand larceny for all I know.

you did avoid serving.

and after calling me a coward and a traitor and a pedophile, don't get too riled up if I turn around and call you names.....

and you have the nerve to say you have never denigrated my service???? do you want me to go back and dig out all the lines where you said I never did anything other than peel potatoes? really?

I'll stack my service up against yours anyday.

I think the US Navy is a hell of a lot better than the 101st fighting neocon keyboardists

Last edited:
LOL @ the keyboard warrior.

It would have been more accurate for you to use the excuse "they won't let me in cuz I'm gay."

oh...and please, just so we have a common frame of reference...what sort of posts from me fall under your definition of "playing the hero card"?

I have NEVER claimed to be a hero in any way. I just served my country for a career. There is nothing inherently heroic about that nor would I ever suggest otherwise.

There is nothing heroic, to be sure, but there is something DIFFERENT about it than not serving.

Like, for example, if I had been a hunter all my life, I think I would be more qualified to discuss hunting than someone who had never hunted.

Similarly, I think my service in our military establishment makes me a bit more qualified to discuss things military than someone - like YOU, Dixie - who has NEVER served in our military establishment.

Is that what you mean when you say that I "play the hero card"? That I speak from experience about things you have no experience in? Chill out...it is not heroic, just the facts.

Back