Did you see W. this weekend?

Adam Weinberg

Goldwater Republican
I enjoyed it. I'm still processing it to get a sense for what the film is about at its core, but here are some of my thoughts.

- I feel for W. (the character, and maybe the President), but I also think he's an opportunist using his position moreso for self-fulfillment rather than service of his people. Not to mention the fact that he is out of his league. He's not stupid, actually. I don't think so, anyway. He's actually pretty gifted at certain things despite being somewhat immature, he's just not a complex thinker and that puts him at a serious disadvantage to sort through situations that require a delicate touch and a stable hand.

- There is a definite theme in the film about the danger of religious fervor seeping into the decision-making of a person (or persons as some scenes depict the use of the religious voting bloc to win elections) especially when it relates to the lives of other people.

- The scope of the film is certainly not as great as JFK (and I know story-wise that's apples to oranges since this is more personal) but that makes me wonder if the part of the story about the war really has as much impact as Stone intended.

- I don't think any of the characters are really evil (Maybe Rove comes off like that a little, but I think that's just him doing his job and enjoying it), and I don't believe necessarily--and I would welcome discussion on this--that the people they represent are evil. Perhaps there are evil actions and consequences from the choices they make. But I don't think they necessarily make those choices with evil intent as much as they either ideologically, emotionally, or professional want something from their lives that compel them to take on these goals for themselves. I guess at the end, this is a matter of character motivation, which is a pretty basic dramatic thing we can talk about all day and whether the motivations are clear.

Overall, I loved watching the depictions of these people we've come to know. I liked seeing their quirks reiterated on screen. It really made up for the fact when someone couldn't look "exactly" like their real-life counterpart, and in some cases made you forget that they're not them.

Not sure the story is terribly effective, but it is terribly interesting to watch through. As an aside, I'm not sure I get everything about the way Colin Powell is depicted in the film, and he appears to be the Mr. X of the film if it has one so to speak. In fact, that may deserve its own film.

Anyway, I'll stop there.

. But I don't think they necessarily make those choices with evil intent as much as they either ideologically, emotionally, or professional want something from their lives that compel them to take on these goals for themselves.

Dude, that's what evil is, making selfish choices to the clear detriment of others.

Anyway, it sounds like it's not a total hatchet job.

Hatchet job films tend to be not good because they are unbalanced from a dramatics perspective.

I'm not sure that's what evil is. Everybody does what you just described every day. Does that make them evil? I think that's something that's been debated for centuries.

Hey. Dr. Mengele just had personal goals and enjoyed his job. It is up to as as individuals to determine whether the incentives outrgeous fortune have put in our paths to better ourselves are, in fact, moral.

Otherwise the only war criminal in germany was hitler and everyone else was just doing their job. Duh.

Wow. This AHZ guy is a real threat to our plans to centralize global morality and place all power in the hands of the Global New Age Priesthood.

Jesus Adam....that had all the passion of kissing your sister. Tell him to go fuck himself in some anatomically impossible manner. I promise, he'll respect you in the morning...and if he doesn't.....fuck him! :-)

To be honest....it's kinda to early for a retrospective on a President that's still sitting. It was traumatic enough living through it. Why would I want to rehash it again?

Is W stupid? No. Is he evil? No. Did he get in over his head? Beyond my worst expectations he did.

It's what I preached about when he was running in 2000. He'd never been through an honest competition in his life. He did not get to where he was based on his talents. That was so very rare for a modern Presidential candidate and so glaringly obvious and I get damned little satisfaction in saying "I told you so".

Tell him to go fuck himself in some anatomically impossible manner. I promise, he'll respect you in the morning...and if he doesn't.....fuck him! :-)

It's okay. I don't need to sink to his level, and the thread is a lot faster to scroll through with him on ignore.

Overall, I thought it was an okay film. Nothing Earth-shattering, except for the performances of Josh Brolin and Richard Dreyfus. Robert Cromwell did well as GHW Bush.

There were some great moments, with excellent humor and some obvious hyperbole. One has to wonder though, if Dick Cheney really said something like "Then we'd have REAL emprire, etc."

I've never been a huge fan of Oliver Stone - he's way too preachy (Wall Street) and over-the-top. The actress who portrayed Condi Rice was nothing more than an overt caricature of the real article. Still, I'd recommend this to most people. The film's best accomplishment is portraying GW Bush as the deficient and perhaps somewhat gradiose person he is. It also juxtaposed that alongside his private self, which is complicated, human and a decent husband and father.

That said, I still hate his fucking guts.

I can't say I agree with that. The cinematography in W. was excellent, but like most Oliver Stone films, the dialogue is far too preachy and polemical to seem genuine and real.

Dialogue is only one aspect. he is good at setting up the dramatic conflicts that form the arc of the story.. I haven't seen w. But generally, he's good. Filmmakers cannot afford to deviate from these hard and fast rules of drama. Though lay people and artsy fartsy types think these rules can be set aside, I know, and adam knows, they are the core of story.

Back