Do Men and Women Philosophers Argue Differently?

BidenPresident

Verified User
Our results suggest that both men and women philosophers make arguments in their published works. More specifically, our data reveal no statistically significant differences between the types of arguments advanced in published works written by male philosophers and the types of arguments advanced in published works written by women philosophers.

In fact, both men and women philosophers make the three types of arguments we have searched for systematically, namely, deductive arguments, inductive arguments, and abductive arguments, with no statistically significant differences in the proportions of those arguments relative to each philosopher’s body of work.

https://dailynous.com/2022/03/09/do-men-and-women-philosophers-argue-differently/

I am not sure why this is even an open question in the 21st century.

I was always on Team Plato. He thought that women could have the same powers of faculty and reason as men, and they could even be leaders. Team Aristotle considered women utterly inferior, and went out of their way to justify slavery.

Was 'Joan of Arc' a Philosopher? I remember that name.

No, she was a warrior.

Hypatia would be an example of an historical woman philosopher.

Diotima of Mantinea, around 350-380 BC
Hypatia, 351-415
Heloise d’Argenteuil, ~1090-1164

a few examples.

I am not sure why this is even an open question in the 21st century.

I was always on Team Plato. He thought that women could have the same powers of faculty and reason as men, and they could even be leaders. Team Aristotle considered women utterly inferior, and went out of their way to justify slavery.

Yet you constantly say you never read Aristotle.

No, she was a warrior.

Hypatia would be an example of an historical woman philosopher.

"Hypatia was a Greek Neoplatonist philosopher, astronomer, and mathematician, who lived in Alexandria, Egypt, then part of the Eastern Roman Empire. She was a prominent thinker of the Neoplatonic school in Alexandria where she taught philosophy and astronomy. Wikipedia"

All right. Now we're getting somewhere!
(I hope you didn't have to ask your wife about that)

Back