Do Men and Women Philosophers Argue Differently?

You don't have to read Aristotle or Einstein to learn about them from subject matter experts.

Yes, you do. This is why you will never understand philosophy.

Someone tells you what Aristotle said. Is that person right? Who decides? Some other philosopher disagrees with that philosopher--how do you decide who is right?

Yes, you do. This is why you will never understand philosophy.

Someone tells you what Aristotle said. Is that person right? Who decides? Some other philosopher disagrees with that philosopher--how do you decide who is right?
You learn your way, I am going to learn my way.

There are not enough years in my life to read the collected works of Plato, Aristotle, Newton, Descartes, Locke, Hobbes, Voltaire, Montesquieu, Rousseau, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, Kant, Hegel, Mills, Marx, Einstein, Schroedinger, Wittgenstein, etc.

I am going to find out about them from trained subject matter experts.

Where are the women philosophers?

The Women Are Up to Something: a review
Cheryl Misak reviews Benjamin Lipscomb's welcome corrective to a narrative that centers men at the heart of post-war Oxford philosophy.

Many would think that the finest decades of Oxford philosophy were the post war period, the Oxford of linguistic philosophy, where Gilbert Ryle, A.J. (Freddie) Ayer, John Austin, Richard Hare, and Herbert Hart practiced a kind of conceptual analysis. Benjamin Lipscomb’s The Women Are Up to Something: How Elizabeth Anscombe, Philippa Foot, Mary Midgley and Iris Murdoch Revolutionized Ethics is a welcome corrective to that male-dominant narrative.

https://www.philosophersmag.com/ess...zSgVRAzxF7FjE96ulgHDOPcsH4D9MYa4_Wcs29bYCFFY8

You learn your way, I am going to learn my way.

There are not enough years in my life to read the collected works of Plato, Aristotle, Newton, Descartes, Locke, Hobbes, Voltaire, Montesquieu, Rousseau, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, Kant, Hegel, Mills, Marx, Einstein, Schroedinger, Wittgenstein, etc.

I am going to find out about them from trained subject matter experts.

You reduce philosophy to chit chat. Why you understand nothing.

Where are the women philosophers?

Susanna Newcome (1685-1763) was an eighteenth-century philosopher and theologian who lived and worked in England. Her most significant work, An Enquiry into the Evidence of the Christian Religion, contains an early formulation of utilitarian thought. In this short book, Newcome synthesizes contemporary developments in natural theology and moral psychology to offer a utilitarian account of the nature of ethics and our moral duties.

https://www.utilitarianism.net/utilitarian-thinker/susanna-newcome

You reduce philosophy to chit chat. Why you understand nothing.
No, I trust that subject matter experts are not lying to me.

A range of subject matter experts I have read say that Aristotle considered slavery a perfectly natural condition and that women were naturally inferior.

I don't think these subject matter experts are lying to me.

The only thing I have read in whole from 4th century BC Greece is Plato's Republic.

I am going to learn my way. You learn your way.

No, I trust that subject matter experts are not lying to me.

A range of subject matter experts I have read say that Aristotle considered slavery a perfectly natural condition and that women were naturally inferior.

I don't think these subject matter experts are lying to me.

The only thing I have read in whole from 4th century BC Greece is Plato's Republic.

I am going to learn my way. You learn your way.

chit chat. My way is how every university in the world teaches philosophy. Sorry, you're profoundly ignorant.

chit chat. My way is how every university in the world teaches philosophy. Sorry, you're profoundly ignorant.

So after all this belligerent bluster, you cannot deny what I wrote about Aristotle is true. The overwhelming expert consensus is that he considered slavery a natural condition, and he diverged from Plato who thought women had the reason and faculty to make leaders.

Philosopher Martha Nussbaum, profile in the New Yorker

Martha Nussbaum is drawn to the idea that creative urgency—and the commitment to be good—derives from the awareness that we harbor aggression toward the people we love. A sixty-nine-year-old professor of law and philosophy at the University of Chicago (with appointments in classics, political science, Southern Asian studies, and the divinity school), Nussbaum has published twenty-four books and five hundred and nine papers and received fifty-seven honorary degrees. In 2014, she became the second woman to give the John Locke Lectures, at Oxford, the most eminent lecture series in philosophy.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/martha-nussbaums-moral-philosophies

So after all this belligerent bluster, you cannot deny what I wrote about Aristotle is true. The overwhelming expert consensus is that he considered slavery a natural condition, and he diverged from Plato who thought women had the reason and faculty to make leaders.

You don't know anything about philosophy, you choose ignorance. Not interested; move on.

^^ Still can't refute what I wrote about Plato and Aristotle was actually accurate.

"Plato and Aristotle on the Nature of Women"

Plato argues that women (at least those in the upper classes ~) must be assigned social roles in the ideal state equal (or approximate) to those of men.

Only one generation later Aristotle, in his Politics, returns women to their traditional roles in the home, subserving men.

Plato's position in the Republic is based upon his view that "women and men have the same nature in respect to the guardianship of the state, save insofar as the one is weaker and the other is stronger ''~ (456A).

Nature provides no such equality in Aristotle; in the Politics he flatly declares, "as regards the sexes, the male is by nature superior and the female inferior, the male ruler and the female subject '' (1254b13-14).

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/226997

He's right! Here we call slavery ,minimum wage.

Back