Do Men and Women Philosophers Argue Differently?

Our results suggest that both men and women philosophers make arguments in their published works. More specifically, our data reveal no statistically significant differences between the types of arguments advanced in published works written by male philosophers and the types of arguments advanced in published works written by women philosophers.

In fact, both men and women philosophers make the three types of arguments we have searched for systematically, namely, deductive arguments, inductive arguments, and abductive arguments, with no statistically significant differences in the proportions of those arguments relative to each philosopher’s body of work.

https://dailynous.com/2022/03/09/do-men-and-women-philosophers-argue-differently/

Logic, like math, is universal. 2+2 = 4 no matter who says it or in what language.

That said, the brains of men and women are organized differently. In this case, while they may come to the same conclusion, they don't necessarily arrive at it the same way.

Another chick philosopher, Gertrude Elizabeth Margaret Anscombe

Gertrude Elizabeth Margaret Anscombe was one of the most gifted philosophers of the twentieth century. Her work continues to strongly influence philosophers working in action theory and moral philosophy. Like the work of her friend Ludwig Wittgenstein, Anscombe’s work is marked by a keen analytic sensibility.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/anscombe/

"Women always win every argument! Because if a man has anything further to say, it is the beginning of a new argument". [Geeko Sportivo]

Socrates was The Man! The rest second stringers!

He never wrote anything and only appears in the Platonic dialogues, so it is hard to know where it Socrates ends and Plato begins, philosophically speaking.

To me, Socrates seems to have a claim to fame of being western civilization's first philosopher of ethics and moral truths.

He never wrote anything and only appears in the Platonic dialogues, so it is hard to know where it Socrates ends and Plato begins, philosophically speaking.

To me, Socrates seems to have a claim to fame of being western civilization's first philosopher of ethics and moral truths.

He certainly influenced Plato!

Where did Aristotle say women are naturally inferior? Oh, that's right, you don't know.

In Politics (Aristotle's work) Aristotle says: "as regards the sexes, the male is by nature superior and the female inferior, the male ruler and the female subject". In the same work he wrote: "The slave is wholly lacking the deliberative element; the female has it but it lacks authority; the child has it but it is incomplete".

Aristotle actually stated in other works that women were "incomplete men" and a "deformity" and that their power comes from "obeying" the man.

I can go deeper, but why bother.

In Politics (Aristotle's work) Aristotle says: "as regards the sexes, the male is by nature superior and the female inferior, the male ruler and the female subject". In the same work he wrote: "The slave is wholly lacking the deliberative element; the female has it but it lacks authority; the child has it but it is incomplete".

Aristotle actually stated in other works that women were "incomplete men" and a "deformity" and that their power comes from "obeying" the man.

I read Aristotle in Greek.

Aristotle also said women are more compassionate than men. Compassion is a virtue for Christians, is it not?

In that world it was true!
In this world Women are more suited!

In Politics (Aristotle's work) Aristotle says: "as regards the sexes, the male is by nature superior and the female inferior, the male ruler and the female subject". In the same work he wrote: "The slave is wholly lacking the deliberative element; the female has it but it lacks authority; the child has it but it is incomplete". Aristotle actually stated in other works that women were "incomplete men" and a "deformity" and that their power comes from "obeying" the man.

Quite right, IMO.

Back