Does the software for this BBS have the "reputation points" option?

For the reasons stated, I'm happy with things just as they are. There are occasionally especially articulate, well reasoned posts that I'd like to give a kudo to, but beyond that, accumulated "recommendations" for individuals is fraught with insignificance.

This is pretty much exaclty how I feel.

For the reasons stated, I'm happy with things just as they are. There are occasionally especially articulate, well reasoned posts that I'd like to give a kudo to,

Clearly, this is in reference to me.

I agree.............

new guy moves into the neighborhood and wants the neighborhood to change to match where he moved from ?

Just like city slickers moving to the country to get away from the city and then getting the same rules that messed up the city established in the country ?

In short if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Maybe, but just my opinion.

Rep points just cause altered egos..it becomes a power trip for immature posters(ie: dog piles of the 'nth degree)...enough said!

Then the board just becomes a popularity contest. Who cares that the majority of posters think you're an idiot. Take one babbling drunken baffoon who shall remain nameless. Someone like him would surely have negative points, but what that tell you that you can't determine yourself? Also, it taint's new posters views of people that are posting.

not to mention we saw the end result of a popularity contest on another board that has recently died.

Then the board just becomes a popularity contest. Who cares that the majority of posters think you're an idiot. Take one babbling drunken baffoon who shall remain nameless.

not to mention we saw the end result of a popularity contest on another board that has recently died.

Why you gotta call me out?

Anyhow, I agree, this board is fine like it is.

Then the board just becomes a popularity contest. Who cares that the majority of posters think you're an idiot. Take one babbling drunken baffoon who shall remain nameless. Someone like him would surely have negative points, but what that tell you that you can't determine yourself? Also, it taint's new posters views of people that are posting.

And I just think of poor SF – as if getting cyber skewered every time he comes on here weren’t enough – now he’ll be getting zapped with negative rep points.

Where does it stop? What is this, The Lord of the Flies? Leave SF alone!

And I just think of poor SF – as if getting cyber skewered every time he comes on here weren’t enough – now he’ll be getting zapped with negative rep points.
Well, usually you rep someone when they make a good argument, or when they bring up an unexpected valid point, whether you agree with the point or not. And in my experience, people get neg-repped VERY seldom, usually when they deliberately try to disrupt a debate, or keep hammering a point that has already been discredited. Again, whether you happen to agree with them or not.

It's pretty much an "honor system" that keeps people from abusing it, and it's worked well on every board where I've seen it used.

But if this board is one where large numbers of people would habitually abuse the Rep system as you described, then maybe you are better off without it.

Bullshit.

In the places Ive been that had them I have been neg repped for posting facts. Cold hard facts.

In the places Ive been that had them I have been neg repped for posting facts. Cold hard facts.

By anyone who is now on this board?

Then you've got nothing to worry about. Unless you believe the people on this board would wildly abuse the Rep system. Do you?

I've been neg-repped too, by someone posting wild, crazy posts (even worse than the ones I've seen here) after I publicly asked why he had not been banned. But I still think the system is a worthwhile one, despite the occasional abuser.

Again, would people on this board grossly abuse the Rep system if it were here? Who, exactly?

Last edited:
By anyone who is now on this board?

Then you've got nothing to worry about. Unless you believe the people on this board would wildly abuse the Rep system. Do you?

I've been neg-repped too, by someone posting wild, crazy posts (even worse than the ones I've seen here) after I publicly asked why he had not been banned. But I still think the system is a worthwhile one, despite the occasional abuser.

Again, would people on this board grossly abuse the Rep system if it were here? Who, exactly?

Bullshit.

I've seen you on other boards as TruthMatters and you have rarely, if ever, posted any substantial facts. Of course if you did it should be easy enough to prove by posting a link.

That avatar is truly hideous.

+500
I can top that:
LOki.jpg

That avatar is truly hideous.

+500

Concur!

I believe that's a photo (unretouched!) of a woman who decided her own face wasn't pretty enough or something, and so she shelled out a few hundred thou over the course of several years to have plastic surgeons modify it, again and again, and basically build her a custom-made face. That was the result.

Hope she's happy.

(If I've gotten details of this escapade wrong, someone please correct me! I'm going from memory of what I saw on TV several years ago - always a great source! :-\ )

Back