Dogwhistle

Cypress

Juxtaposing Barack Obama with footage of Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears. Dogwhistle.

It doesn't make a damn bit of sense. It doesn't even make sense in the context of the ad. There's just some clips of two young blonde white women, with no rational context.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/07/mccain-campai-2.html

I suppose the McCain spin is that since Obama is frivolous and without substance, the comparison to two young blonde airheads is warranted. Or clever. Whatever.

Obviously, its a racist dogwhistle. Its totally subliminal. The greatest fear of the klansman, the racist, the bigot is of the black man coming to get our white women. Our pretty, blonde white women. At its core, that's a big part of what the Klan was all about. How many thousands of black men were strung up from trees because they winked at a white woman? Or looked at her for more than two seconds? Its totally primative and primeval. But, there it is. Obama is out to get our white women. Its subliminal, but its undeniable, IMO. And it doesn't even have to be targeted at overt racists - they aren't voting for Obama anyway. It works, I'm afraid, on even some white people who don't consider themselves overt racists -- those who have culturally-learned and inbred biases and ambient racial intolerance that may or may not be subconcious.

This is the most insidious form of racism. Disguised as supposedly "clever" or humourous parody. John Kerry or Joe Lieberman would never be juxtaposed with two 22 year old blond girls; it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense. Remember the Harold Ford ads in Tennessee?

Only Rove could turn having most Americans like Obama into a negative.

Damn are the people who "buy" these "products" stupid.

Juxtaposing Barack Obama with footage of Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears. Dogwhistle.

It doesn't make a damn bit of sense. It doesn't even make sense in the context of the ad. There's just some clips of two young blonde white women, with no rational context.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/07/mccain-campai-2.html

I suppose the McCain spin is that since Obama is frivolous and without substance, the comparison to two young blonde airheads is warranted. Or clever. Whatever.

Obviously, its a racist dogwhistle. Its totally subliminal. The greatest fear of the klansman, the racist, the bigot is of the black man coming to get our white women. Our pretty, blonde white women. At its core, that's a big part of what the Klan was all about. How many thousands of black men were strung up from trees because they winked at a white woman? Or looked at her for more than two seconds? Its totally primative and primeval. But, there it is. Obama is out to get our white women. Its subliminal, but its undeniable, IMO. And it doesn't even have to be targeted at overt racists - they aren't voting for Obama anyway. It works, I'm afraid, on even some white people who don't consider themselves overt racists -- those who have culturally-learned and inbred biases and ambient racial intolerance that may or may not be subconcious.

This is the most insidious form of racism. Disguised as supposedly "clever" or humourous parody. John Kerry or Joe Lieberman would never be juxtaposed with two 22 year old blond girls; it wouldn't make a damn bit of sense. Remember the Harold Ford ads in Tennessee?

Okay, I'll bite.

If this is so "obvious" as bait to "the klansman, the bigot and the racist" then McCain must be a total, absolute retard, because "the klansman, the bigot and the racist" are not voting for Obama, EVER.

But, I wuld like to hear your thought process behind this latest post of yours.

It's aimed at the uber-cons who dislike how Paris, et al, act. This ad aims to gain the vote of the cons who are thinking of voting for the Libertarian candidate who is an uber-con rather than a Libertarian.

Okay, I'll bite.

If this is so "obvious" as bait to "the klansman, the bigot and the racist" then McCain must be a total, absolute retard, because "the klansman, the bigot and the racist" are not voting for Obama, EVER.

You must have stopped reading my post after the first two sentences, because I already addressed this. I'm not going to repeat myself.

But, I wuld like to hear your thought process behind this latest post of yours.

To the most casual observer, McCain is using dog whisles in this ad and others to paint Obama as uppity, and arrogant. Using code that anyone who is remotely familiar with the Southern Strategy the GOP has employed for three decades would recognize. The very random, and unfathomable inclusion of two vapid blonde young white women is not without consequence. I think they knew exactly what they were doing, on a subliminal level. That's my opinion.

You must have stopped reading my post after the first two sentences, because I already addressed this. I'm not going to repeat myself.

To the most casual observer, McCain is using dog whisles in this ad and others to paint Obama as uppity, and arrogant. Using code that anyone who is remotely familiar with the Southern Strategy the GOP has employed for three decades would recognize. The very random, and unfathomable inclusion of two vapid blonde young white women is not without consequence. I think they knew exactly what they were doing, on a subliminal level. That's my opinion.
Again, inane. This does nothing to paint him as that, that would be better accomplished by flashing dislikeable figures that appeared as "uppity" but are of the same ethnicity. This ad attempts to associate him with 'celebrity' itself and aims at the religious cons who dislike how Paris, et al, act as public figures but who also dislike McCain and who either will not vote, or will vote for the Libertarian candidate. It is an attempt to drive people to the polls who otherwise would not vote because they are not excited about the candidate.

Yes, I did. But then I just read the rest of it. You're still talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Pick a side.

Jesus, seriously. Either its buying or its selling. Take your pick, but its not both, no matter how much you want it to be.

Pick one.

LMAO @ faux outrage.

The ad is not an attempt at subliminal racism. The ad was designed to paint Obama as a "celebrity" with "no substance and all hype" .... and when you think of a celebrity that is all hype and no substance.... what better example than Paris Hilton.

That said, it was a dumb ad.

Its hilarious when former Bush voters call Obama vacuous and without substance.

Obama is probably one of the most educated and intelligent persons ever to have been nominated for president in recent memory. Compared to Bush, McCain or Fred Thompson, Obama is a virtual policy wonk.

It was widely reported in the media, that the GOP was strategizing on how far they could go pushing the racial envelope without getting caught going too far. It was even posted on this site.

What do you do with an intelligent, highly qualified black man who you don't want to see in the white house? Make him seem uppity, arrogant, without substance; i.e., an uppity negro who is way out of his league and doesn't know his proper place. The juxtaposition with two young white women is no accident, IMO. That's the way I see it. And for the record, I've been right on virtually every major policy and political issue in this country for the last 8 years, while Bush voters have virtually always been wrong.

I was thinking they should have had a split screen with shots of Hitler waving to huge crowds in Germany at the same time.

You got to love rubbish attack ads.

I think it is quite funny how the little lemmings from the left are now "seeing/hearing subliminal racism" from McCain.... amazing how that happens right after the Obama camp starts throwing down the 'look out for those evil Reps, they are going to be playing the racists ads any moment now... just wait for it... its coming...'

Cue lemming #423 code name "Gumby" aka "Leg humper" with his pathetic attempt to twist McCains ad into "subliminal racism".

ROFLMAO....

Its hilarious when former Bush voters call Obama vacuous and without substance.

Obama is probably one of the most educated and intelligent persons ever to have been nominated for president in recent memory. Compared to Bush, McCain or Fred Thompson, Obama is a virtual policy wonk.

It was widely reported in the media, that the GOP was strategizing on how far they could go pushing the racial envelope without getting caught going too far. It was even posted on this site.

What do you do with an intelligent, highly qualified black man who you don't want to see in the white house? Make him seem uppity, arrogant, without substance; i.e., an uppity negro who is way out of his league and doesn't know his proper place. The juxtaposition with two young white women is no accident, IMO. That's the way I see it. And for the record, I've been right on virtually every major policy and political issue in this country for the last 8 years, while Bush voters have virtually always been wrong.

What's sad is I know you probably believe this tripe.

So, the Con contention is that by linking a highly educated, accomplished, and qualified Black man to two blonde young white girls who are known for drugs, sex, shallowness, and personality disorders has nothing with making Obama seem like an uppity egomaniacal negro who is out of his league, doesn't know his place, and metaphorically is associated with young white girls.

I'm amazed you can live in that dream world. But, then you thought the Iraq war was a great idea and that Saddam was a grave threat to us. So, I'm confident your take on things is a bit fact-challenged.

Google Charlie Black. He's McCain advisor, and is the country's foremost Jesse Helms apologist. He ran racist campaigns for Jesse Helms, and there's a reason the McCain camp hired him for this campaign.

So, the Con contention is that by linking a highly educated, accomplished, and qualified Black man to two blonde young white girls who are known for drugs, sex, shallowness, and personality disorders has nothing with making Obama seem like an uppity egomaniacal negro who is out of his league, doesn't know his place, and metaphorically is associated with young white girls.

I'm amazed you can live in that dream world. But, then you thought the Iraq war was a great idea and that Saddam was a grave threat to us. So, I'm confident your take on things is a bit fact-challenged.

Google Charlie Black. He's McCain advisor, and is the country's foremost Jesse Helms apologist. He ran racist campaigns for Jesse Helms, and there's a reason the McCain camp hired him for this campaign.

I saw it as really stupid, not racist. But then one of the guys I respect most in the world told me he didn’t like it, and that it was subliminally racist or something. The whole blonde girls/black man thing. He’s black. He sees shit I don’t, just like he will always listen when I see something sexist that he didn’t see right off, I do the same. I find that subsequent events always prove him right.

But, as long as a bunch of white cons are saying you’re full of shit…it must be so. We know how often they’re proved right by subsequent events.

I saw it as really stupid, not racist. But then one of the guys I respect most in the world told me he didn’t like it, and that it was subliminally racist or something. The whole blonde girls/black man thing. He’s black. He sees shit I don’t, just like he will always listen when I see something sexist that he didn’t see right off, I do the same. I find that subsequent events always prove him right.

But, as long as a bunch of white cons are saying you’re full of shit…it must be so. We know how often they’re proved right by subsequent events.

That's my experience too. I don't always recognize subliminal racism because of my privileged white background. But, I'm into self improvement, and often I find that friends of color, or female peers can make me see shit that I normally might not have seen.

The ad that was run in Tennessee against Harold Ford that had the white gal say 'call me' to Harold about the Playboy party was obviously giving off that white gal/black man thing. That was obvious.

I thought the McCain ad was dumb with Paris and Britney but if you are going to try and say Obama is a (dumb) celebrity who gets the most media/tabloid attention? It's Paris, Britney and Lindsey Lohan.

Would you say do the add with Beyonce? She doesn't fit that mold. No one fits it like those three.

There is no proof of racist intent, imo - no matter how people respond to it. It's very possible there was someone thinking "white women/black man" when the idea was originated, but it's also as possible that they were simply thinking "vapid celebrity," and Paris & Britney come immediately to mind on that.

It's a pathetic ad, any way you slice it. Even worse was Joe Lieberman's attempt on Meet the Press yesterday to argue that it was a good, fair ad, and in keeping with McCain's April pledge to keep the tone of the campaign at a high level, and not go after the person or personality.

Back