Donut Shop Worker Refuses to Be on Camera with JD Vance During Campaign Stop

You make a very good point, C.
It makes the case for not generalizing too much.

Idiots like Vance, Cruz, Hawley and others have diplomas from outstanding schools ,
schools that I highly respect,
despite all needing to be institutionalized as individual people.

Walz was an outstanding choice because he is the total opposite from me.
He's not a big city guy.
He likes flannel shirts. not expensive Italian tasseled loafers.
He was a Middle American teacher, a football coach, and wasn't DRAFTED into the military.
He changes his own flat tires.
He probably even goes to church.

He looks just like the kind of goobers of whom I make fun, not always justly.

But guess what?
He's a great guy.
He's devoted to service.
He believes in the same role of government that I do.

He forced me to open my eyes when it's not my inclination to do so.

And now, he'll help make middle-Americans realize that you can look like "Joe Sixpack,"
be the kind of guy that they would like,
only now realize that somebody like that can have an open mind for modern, progressive thought.

Walz was a brilliant choice for Harris because Ms. Harris is a lot smarter than I am,
and even at my age, with nearly eight decades on my odometer,
she's able to show me things.
I may have asked you this before with you being a Boston guy but what did you think of Good Will Hunting? And I know it’s a movie but specifically the bar scene where he gets into it with the Harvard kid and gets the girls number.

I’m sure many in the audience were rooting for Matt Damon’s character and how he showed up the ‘upity’ Harvard kid. But have to ask, when you watched were you rooting for the Harvard kid? I mean, yes Will is brilliant but he’s mocking a Harvard education saying you could get it in a library.

What was your reaction to that scene?

Seconds later, the employee tells Vance she doesn't want to be on camera.

"I don't want to be on film," the employee says twice.

Vance obliges and asks the camera crews to cut the individual out. Then, in an effort to make small talk Vance lets the employee know who he is and what he's doing there.

"I'm JD Vance I'm running for vice president," Vance said. "Good to see you."

The employee sounds unmoved and replies with "okay" and waits for him to begin his order.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Person may have a warrant out for their arrest

Reactions: TOP
NN, not trying to derail the thread but was curious your thoughts here.

I read in Walz's speech he was calling out Vance for not being a true Midwesterner and said something along the lines of "there were 24 people in my graduating class and none went to Yale".

To be clear, I'm asking this as a discussion - not how anyone will or should vote. You're a big fan of saying you like/support elites. In 2024, doesn't it seem ironic for a leading Democrat to call out a guy from Vance's background for being elite? Reading that felt like an alternative universe type deal.

This is actually an interesting point. So many of the leading GOP politicos ARE from the Ivies. The real issue is that on the wider level the GOP has situated itself to be the party of the "common person", the "flyover states" and the "forgotten man" and, in my experience over the last 50 years it seem the GOP actively pursues this "anti-elite" position to curry favor with their voters. Which makes it doubly ironic when most of the leaders of the GOP are from very elite institutions.

The Dems seem more likely to be "tweed wearing intellectuals" at least in their "advertising and outreach" but, indeed, neither party really has a bead on the "common person". It is largely marketing.

The scary part, however, is when one group of elites convinces a group of non-elites that those other elites OVER THERE are bad because they are elites.

This is actually an interesting point. So many of the leading GOP politicos ARE from the Ivies. The real issue is that on the wider level the GOP has situated itself to be the party of the "common person", the "flyover states" and the "forgotten man" and, in my experience over the last 50 years it seem the GOP actively pursues this "anti-elite" position to curry favor with their voters. Which makes it doubly ironic when most of the leaders of the GOP are from very elite institutions.

The Dems seem more likely to be "tweed wearing intellectuals" at least in their "advertising and outreach" but, indeed, neither party really has a bead on the "common person". It is largely marketing.

The scary part, however, is when one group of elites convinces a group of non-elites that those other elites OVER THERE are bad because they are elites.
You make a great point about marketing. Each party really does do all they can to sell their vision of what they claim to stand for. And we as their street soldiers so to speak are their unpaid marketers.

Yes, workers are scum to the GOP aren't they? "Losers" who weren't lucky enough to become millionaires at age 8 like Trump.
No they are not but in your pea sized leftist brain you think that's the case. Am I a billionaire idiot? How many billionaires sole at the DNC you moronic twit?

I may have asked you this before with you being a Boston guy but what did you think of Good Will Hunting? And I know it’s a movie but specifically the bar scene where he gets into it with the Harvard kid and gets the girls number.

I’m sure many in the audience were rooting for Matt Damon’s character and how he showed up the ‘upity’ Harvard kid. But have to ask, when you watched were you rooting for the Harvard kid? I mean, yes Will is brilliant but he’s mocking a Harvard education saying you could get it in a library.

What was your reaction to that scene?
Will was actually from Boston.
From our city.
The Harvard kid wasn't.

That being said, however, in real life,
you can't get a Harvard level education in a library
unless, perhaps, you really are a genetic freak genius.

That's what makes you a genetic freak.
The normal rules of nature don't apply to you in one way or another.

NN, not trying to derail the thread but was curious your thoughts here.

I read in Walz's speech he was calling out Vance for not being a true Midwesterner and said something along the lines of "there were 24 people in my graduating class and none went to Yale".

To be clear, I'm asking this as a discussion - not how anyone will or should vote. You're a big fan of saying you like/support elites. In 2024, doesn't it seem ironic for a leading Democrat to call out a guy from Vance's background for being elite? Reading that felt like an alternative universe type deal.
Well Wacko Waltz is half right. Vance is what here in the Midwest is called a Butternut. That is folks who have emigrated from the South to the Northern side of the Ohio River Valley and their descendants. They’re mainly of Scot’s-Irish descent and make up the majority of the Working class in southern Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. However they also tend not to assimilate well into Midwestern culture and generally maintain their Southern white poor/working class culture. They are called Butternuts as they were some of the first emigrants to settle on the Northern side of the Ohio River in the late 18th century and had a tradition of staining their clothes with sap oils they would extract from nuts of the White Walnut tree (aka the Butternut Tree) which gave their clothes a distinct brownish yellow color that became famous with Confederate troops during The Civil War.

Today they are commonly called Hillbillies but that’s a bit of a misnomer as the phrase “Hillbilly” originated here in Ohio (as did the welcoming phrase “Howdy”) as a pejorative phrase to describe rural ingnoramuses from michigan like PiMP due to their practice of cultivating beans on hillocks.

So yes Butternuts are true Midwesterners but the Midwest itself is split into two distinct regions. The Ohio Valley Region (Butternut country) and the Great Lakes region. Vance is from the former and Waltz is from the later.

Interestingly the Ohio River Valleys reputation as the last great bastion of the anal retentive conservative is not due to the Butternut population but from the German immigrants who came in mass during the late 19th century and brought their durm and strang authoritarianism with them, as well as, their innate distrust of Democracy .

Well Wacko Waltz is half right. Vance is what here in the Midwest is called a Butternut. That is folks who have emigrated from the South to the Northern side of the Ohio River Valley and their descendants. They’re mainly of Scot’s-Irish descent and make up the majority of the Working class in southern Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. However they also tend not to assimilate well into Midwestern culture and generally maintain their Southern white poor/working class culture. They are called Butternuts as they were some of the first emigrants to settle on the Northern side of the Ohio River in the late 18th century and had a tradition of staining their clothes with sap oils they would extract from nuts of the White Walnut tree (aka the Butternut Tree) which gave their clothes a distinct brownish yellow color that became famous with Confederate troops during The Civil War.

Today they are commonly called Hillbillies but that’s a bit of a misnomer as the phrase “Hillbilly” originated here in Ohio (as did the welcoming phrase “Howdy”) as a pejorative phrase to describe rural ingnoramuses from michigan like PiMP due to their practice of cultivating beans on hillocks.

So yes Butternuts are true Midwesterners but the Midwest itself is split into two distinct regions. The Ohio Valley Region (Butternut country) and the Great Lakes region. Vance is from the former and Waltz is from the later.

Interestingly the Ohio River Valleys reputation as the last great bastion of the anal retentive conservative is not due to the Butternut population but from the German immigrants who came in mass during the late 19th century and brought their durm and strang authoritarianism with them, as well as, their innate distrust of Democracy .
Enjoyed reading this. Thanks for the history lesson.

From strictly a political perspective Walz' statement seems more an inside baseball type reference then. Do you think the people Walz was targeting with that statement feel strongly about it and (similar to say a LA - SF rivalry) will view Vance negatively as a result?

And leaving aside your personal feelings about Vance what did you think of the implication that a true Midwesterner wouldn't go to an Ivy League school?

Yokels or Gilders

Walz went to a donut shop lately. He treated the workers with respect, shaking hands with the whole staff and wishing them well. He was polite and gregarious. He did not make the workers feel like underlings. Vance could not hide his disdain for the workers.

Seconds later, the employee tells Vance she doesn't want to be on camera.

"I don't want to be on film," the employee says twice.

Vance obliges and asks the camera crews to cut the individual out. Then, in an effort to make small talk Vance lets the employee know who he is and what he's doing there.

"I'm JD Vance I'm running for vice president," Vance said. "Good to see you."

The employee sounds unmoved and replies with "okay" and waits for him to begin his order.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I wouldn't want to be around a "man" who wears more makeup than I do, either. lol

Back