Él no habla español

"I don’t understand when people are going around worrying about, we need to have English only. They want to pass a law, we just, we want English only. Now, I agree that immigrants should learn English, I agree with this. But understand this, instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English, they’ll learn English, you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish."

El Salvador, Obama

"I don’t understand when people are going around worrying about, we need to have English only. They want to pass a law, we just, we want English only. Now, I agree that immigrants should learn English, I agree with this. But understand this, instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English, they’ll learn English, you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish."

El Salvador, Obama

I absolutely agree with Obama on this (if its true). But I understand your peabrained resistance to the idea that you should learn another language. Conservatives have to be willfully ignorant.

I absolutely agree with Obama on this (if its true). But I understand your peabrained resistance to the idea that you should learn another language. Conservatives have to be willfully ignorant.

In case you really are too stupid to understand the comment, let me explain...
Obama didn't say you should learn another language...he said your children shold learn SPANISH, get that? a particular language...Spanish...:321:

I like Spanish, it's mellifluous. I like the Caribbean, Central/South American Spanish though, it's nicer than the European model. I'd love to learn it but I'm too dense to learn another language.

If you speak two languages you are bilingual.

If you speak three languages you are trilingual.

If you speak more than three languages you are multilingual.

If you speak only one language you are an american.

If you speak two languages you are bilingual.

If you speak three languages you are trilingual.

If you speak more than three languages you are multilingual.

If you speak only one language you are an american.

That goes for the British as well.

When you speak a language which is as dominant as English the overwhelming view is to let others go to the bother of learning how to communicate with you rather than putting yourself out.

I can speak a little foreign but it's just the bits and pieces i can remember from school - i.e. such useful titbits as "Excuse me, can you direct me to the vicinity of the prostitutes, please" in German and French, if you please.

That makes sense. All I got in French class was how to sing about blokes and sheilas dancing on a fricking bridge in France. Pontsey or poncey, I haven't worked it out yet.

That makes sense. All I got in French class was how to sing about blokes and sheilas dancing on a fricking bridge in France. Pontsey or poncey, I haven't worked it out yet.

What I remember from spanish class in school isn't much.

But I have had to pickup some at work. But at least I can start a fight in a couple of languages.

In case you really are too stupid to understand the comment, let me explain...
Obama didn't say you should learn another language...he said your children shold learn SPANISH, get that? a particular language...Spanish...:321:

Well, clearly you're too stupid to understand that learning Spanish qualifies as learning another language.

But that's fine. I actually hope the hillbilly conservatives kick and scream and are willfully resistant to learning Spanish. Less competition for jobs for those who aren't so intellectually lazy and willfully ignorant.

At least here in South Florida, if you are smart, you will learn to speak Spanish. If you speak both languages, you will always have a job. There are tuns of translating jobs around, and attorneys are hireing anyone who can speak both languages.

Its a big deal around here.

I have a friend from Sweden, he tells me. "You can drive 500 miles in any direction, speak English and do business. I cannot, when in Sweden, drive 500 miles in any direction, speak Swiss and be able to do business. I can understand why Americans don't learn other languages, they so rarely meet them in their regular lives, unlike people from Europe."

Back