Equal Thirds of One

Yes, but fractions are not numerical values, only numeric representations or division formulas. 1/3 tells you nothing of value, unless you know what it is in relation to. 1/3 of WHAT? So you continue to toss out a numerical representation or formula, in which the 'remainder' has already been assumed, as proof that you do not need to assume the remainder!

That's true of all numbers, knuckledragger. 1 tells you nothing unless you know 1 of what. 3 tells you nothing unless you know 3 of what.

1/3 IS a numerical value.

LOL... AGAIN... for the 5,000,000,000th time... I have NEVER EVER EVER said that "equal thirds do not exist!" How many fucking times do I have to correct that lie? It has never been my argument, I have never stated such an argument, and if this is what you believe I have stated, it explains a lot about why you don't understand what I have said at all.

Yeah, you did and when you lied about this on fullpolitics your direct quote was provided. I'd go find it now, but sr seems to have changed the site. And you are still arguing that now.

Fractions are NOT values, and I can prove this... here is a little 'fractional' problem...

You have 1 U.S. Gallon of Water... we all know what a gallon is, and 1 is a numerical value. Understood? Ok, each day, you may consume 1/2 of the water. How many days will the water last? Go ahead, calculate the answer for me! :)

You are changing the existent that the fraction measures. The first day it is 1/2 of a gallon, the next day it is 1/2 of 1/2 of a gallon, etc.. In other words, you are moving the target. That is not proof that a fraction is not a numerical value. It is proof that you are an idiot.

Numerical value means a value expressed/represented with numbers rather than letters. That's all it means. And it is synonymous to numerical representation.

1 is a symbol that represent the value that we all understand as one. Thus it is a representation, thus you are once again, as per usual, totally unaware of what you're talking about.

You are changing the existent that the fraction measures. The first day it is 1/2 of a gallon, the next day it is 1/2 of 1/2 of a gallon, etc.. In other words, you are moving the target. That is not proof that a fraction is not a numerical value. It is proof that you are an idiot.

Numerical value means a value expressed/represented with numbers rather than letters. That's all it means. And it is synonymous to numerical representation.

LOL... "that a fraction measures?" How can a definitive value "measure?" It is a calculation, a divisional calculation, and it's value is dependent on what is being measured, the fraction itself, has no inherent numerical value whatsoever, until you assign it to something to measure. You are the idiot, not me.

Nope.... 1/3 is a numerical representation, you posted the definition yourself.

And why are you avoiding my point that 1 means nothing unless you know 1 of what. What is the market price for 1? How much does 1 weigh? How many 1s can fit in a phone booth? You claim this attribute makes 1/3 not a numerical value, so does it make 1 not a numerical value?

LOL... "that a fraction measures?" How can a definitive value "measure?" It is a calculation, a divisional calculation, and it's value is dependent on what is being measured, the fraction itself, has no inherent numerical value whatsoever, until you assign it to something to measure. You are the idiot, not me.

ALL NUMBERS ARE MEASUREMENTS! NUMBERS HAVE NO INHERENT "VALUE" UNTIL YOU ASSIGN THEM TO SOMETHING TO MEASURE.

Numbers are just symbols representing a sum of units. I was telling you this when the thread started on fp.

And why are you avoiding my point that 1 means nothing unless you know 1 of what. What is the market price for 1? How much does 1 weigh? How many 1s can fit in a phone booth? You claim this attribute makes 1/3 not a numerical value, so does it make 1 not a numerical value?

1 means 1, no matter what you apply it to. It has the same value always. 1/2 changes in value, depending on how it's applied, because it is a numerical representation.

I gave you an example problem and you accused me of changing the parameters, but I didn't change anything. If 1/2 has a defined value, you should be able to tell me an answer to the problem. If you had a gallon of water and were allowed to consume 1 oz. per day, it would last 128 days exactly. However, if you are allowed to consume "half" the water each day, the value of 1/2 changes daily, it is not defined, it is a representation based on what it is being applied to, in this case, the remaining water. 1/2 means nothing, it has no inherent tangible value, it is a division problem, applied in this example, to the water remaining, and it's value changes daily. Something can't be a value and also be a calculation of value, it's impossible.

ALL NUMBERS ARE MEASUREMENTS! NUMBERS HAVE NO INHERENT "VALUE" UNTIL YOU ASSIGN THEM TO SOMETHING TO MEASURE.

Numbers are just symbols representing a sum of units. I was telling you this when the thread started on fp.

Representing a SUM of UNITS! Correct... but a fraction doesn't do this, it doesn't represent any static sum, it is dependent on the application to define or measure value. The other example I gave is just as illustrative, if I tell you I have 5 liters of gas in my car, you can calculate how many gallons I have... If I tell you I have 1/2 of a tank, you can't, until you know how much a full tank is.

Something can't be a value and also be a calculation of value, it's impossible.

Okay, so one is one whether talking about a pickle or a peck of pickles. 1 peck, or one pickle. OOOOH!1!! ! can't be a VALUE because it can describe a peck of pickles, or a pickle aLONE!!!!!111

Stop it already. You're being childish.

1 means 1, no matter what you apply it to. It has the same value always. 1/2 changes in value, depending on how it's applied, because it is a numerical representation.

How much does 1 weigh? How many 1s can fit in a phone booth?

1 changes depending on to what it is applied. 1 yard does not equal 1 foot or 1 inch. 1 cake does not 1 piece of cake (for that matter it might not equal 1 cake since no two cakes are going to be completely identical). 1 gallon does not 1 quart, 1 ounce or even 1 half of a gallon (half of a gallon is simply another unit of measure).

I gave you an example problem and you accused me of changing the parameters, but I didn't change anything.

Yes, you did. You changed the unit every day, from 1 gallon, to 1/2 of a gallon or 2 quarts, 1/4 of a gallon or 1 quart, etc.

If 1/2 has a defined value, you should be able to tell me an answer to the problem.

1/2 in and of itself is not a "unit of measure." It is a quantity of that unit of measure. The exact same is true of 1.

If you had a gallon of water and were allowed to consume 1 oz. per day, it would last 128 days exactly.

Because 1 oz = 1 oz. You are not changing the unit of measure everyday.

Go to your local deli. When they ask what you would like, tell them "1." They will respond, "1 what?" Tell them "1 roast beef." They will likely respond "1 pound?" You could respond 1 half pound, 1 pound, 1 ounce, etc. but until you couple the 1 with a definite unit of measure they will have no idea what you mean.

All numbers are simply a quantity or sum of units.

Representing a SUM of UNITS! Correct... but a fraction doesn't do this, it doesn't represent any static sum, it is dependent on the application to define or measure value. The other example I gave is just as illustrative, if I tell you I have 5 liters of gas in my car, you can calculate how many gallons I have... If I tell you I have 1/2 of a tank, you can't, until you know how much a full tank is.

I can tell you 1/2 of a tank. I can't tell you how many gallons you have, no. And if you ask me how many gallons do you have in 1 tank I will not know until you tell me the capacity of the tank. Absolutely, no difference.

Well if you don't need to assume the remainder, what happened to it? It clearly exists in your equation, so it has to be rectified or you have to assume it. There is no other option but to assume it, we can't calculate infinity. One divided by three equals .3 with a remainder of .1, and you can keep continuing to divide that remainder forever, you will not resolve it. If it can't ever be resolved, it has to be assumed, there is no other alternative. Eventually, one of the three parts of the thirds will have to include this extra portion, or remainder, there is no other way to resolve the problem. And YES, it can be resolved in different base math, and YES it can be assumed or perceived as resolved in base 10 math, that is not my argument. Never has been.

There's always room for Jell-O, even when you're full. That's what you guys are arguing about - where the Jell-O goes in a full stomach. J-E-L-L-O!

By the way, 1/3 = 2/3!

:gives:

Last edited:
Back