Fact checking Palin's speach

Plug in one word (working) to that line and there is no lie huh?

Now Palin saying Obama did NO legislation ever, is that a blatent lie or not?
What you are claiming Palin said is the lie.

What Palin said is Obama has not authored a single piece of legislation. That is accurate. Obama has sponsored and co sponsored several pieces of legislation. But he has yet to write any.

For the record, it is rather easy to sponsor a bill: you just sign your name to it.

Palin: "But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate."

I gave a rundown of Obama's accomplishments in the Senate here. They include the Lugar-Obama bill on nonproliferation, and an ethics reform package that the Washington Post called "the strongest ethics legislation to emerge from Congress yet." Ruth Marcus summarizes his record on reform:

"He helped pass a far-reaching ethics and campaign finance bill in the Illinois state Senate and made the issue a priority on arriving in Washington. Much to the displeasure of his colleagues, Obama promoted an outside commission to handle Senate ethics complaints. He co-authored the lobbying reform bill awaiting President Bush's signature and pushed -- again to the dismay of some colleagues -- to include a provision requiring lawmakers to report the names of their lobbyist-bundlers. He has co-sponsored bills to overhaul the presidential public financing system and public financing of Senate campaigns."

Not a single major law or reform, indeed.

And I wasn't aware that writing memoirs was something to be ashamed of. Obama has, in fact, written only one. McCain (with Mark Salter) has written at least two.

Plug in one word (working) to that line and there is no lie huh?

Now Palin saying Obama did NO legislation ever, is that a blatent lie or not?
Nope. He said he was speaking of "median" income in his explanation, we find out that by that figure that the average family increased earnings. And she said no major legislation not none at all, you only hear what you want.

Palin: "But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate."

I gave a rundown of Obama's accomplishments in the Senate here. They include the Lugar-Obama bill on nonproliferation, and an ethics reform package that the Washington Post called "the strongest ethics legislation to emerge from Congress yet." Ruth Marcus summarizes his record on reform:

"He helped pass a far-reaching ethics and campaign finance bill in the Illinois state Senate and made the issue a priority on arriving in Washington. Much to the displeasure of his colleagues, Obama promoted an outside commission to handle Senate ethics complaints. He co-authored the lobbying reform bill awaiting President Bush's signature and pushed -- again to the dismay of some colleagues -- to include a provision requiring lawmakers to report the names of their lobbyist-bundlers. He has co-sponsored bills to overhaul the presidential public financing system and public financing of Senate campaigns."

Not a single major law or reform, indeed.

And I wasn't aware that writing memoirs was something to be ashamed of. Obama has, in fact, written only one. McCain (with Mark Salter) has written at least two.
Exactly: authored two memoirs, but not a single major law....

Obama "helped pass a far-reaching ethics and campaign finance bill..."
Helping a bill to pass (ie: speaking in its favor, voting for it, etc.) is not AUTHORING the bill. Someone else wrote it.

In the whole list he is claimed to have co-authored one bill. The author of that bill (S.230) It was written primarily by a legal team working for Feingold of WI.

Obama did sign on as a co-sponsor. As did Lieberman of CT and Tester of MT.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:s.00230:

Regardless, Obama is not the AUTHOR of any major legislation. (S.230 is not major, nor was Obama the primary author.) Not to say he has not done some good work - especially in the realm of lobby reform - but he has not written any legislation to date.

Of course, the implication of Palin's statement is Obama is not doing much as a senator. But the statement itself is factual.

I was just listenting to a few clips from the new Messiah's speech over this weekend.

I'm not sure if she has a tone aside from "sarcastic" and "condescending." It's wearing thin on me already.

"But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate."

He co-authored the lobbying reform bill awaiting President Bush's signature and pushed -- again to the dismay of some colleagues -- to include a provision requiring lawmakers to report the names of their lobbyist-bundlers. He has co-sponsored bills to overhaul the presidential public financing system and public financing of Senate campaigns."

she lied , period

I was just listenting to a few clips from the new Messiah's speech over this weekend.

I'm not sure if she has a tone aside from "sarcastic" and "condescending." It's wearing thin on me already.

I've already yelled out "get that f'ing hillbilly twang off my tv" more than once over here.

Nails on a chalkboard.

Strong women do tend to have that effect on sexist male pigs who believe women should stay at home with their children.

;)

All need to remember campaign advertisements are specifically exempt from the truth in advertising laws for a reason.

Go on past history, not current promises.

There's no comparison. I knew it as I was listening to her. She lies more than a $5 ho on a Saturday night. It just never stopped. And the people ate it the fuck up. It makes me want... want to... want to kill!

Typical liberal asshole. When you disagree with someone, just call them a liar and threaten to kill them. You are a piece of garbage, ib1. Why don't you get the fuck out of my country? :mad:

The only lie here is to accuse Plain of lying.

I see changes of positions from earlier times....no lies....she was for something and later said she was against that something....
Thats not a lie.....at best you can claim a flip-flop....who gives a shit...
-----------------------------------------------
The latest smear from the Left is that, while Palin has a new baby boy with Down syndrome, she cut government funding for special ed.

Just one problem: reductions were from a budget formulated under outgoing Governor Frank Murkowski, whom she defeated.

Based on recommendations from a legislative task force, the Alaska legislature passed and Palin signed an education overhaul which increased special needs spending 175%.

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2008/09/special-ed-smear.html
----------------------------------------------------
And to call Obama's hanging onto the coattails of Sen Luger a legislative feat is laughable....

To say, "He helped pass" is something and claiming that as a significant accomplishment is showing desperation...

Does anybody know what a 5 dollar ho is required to lie about? I am just wondering because I have no idea what men get for 5 bucks? Don't tell me that even when they are paying 5 bucks for sex they have to be told "you're the best" or "wow, I've never seen one that big before"? Really? For five bucks?

Anyone know anything about this?

Does anybody know what a 5 dollar ho is required to lie about? I am just wondering because I have no idea what men get for 5 bucks? Don't tell me that even when they are paying 5 bucks for sex they have to be told "you're the best" or "wow, I've never seen one that big before"? Really? For five bucks?

Anyone know anything about this?

I mean anyone besides for Bravo's mother?

The only lie here is to accuse Plain of lying.

I see changes of positions from earlier times....no lies....she was for something and later said she was against that something....
Thats not a lie.....at best you can claim a flip-flop....who gives a shit...
-----------------------------------------------
The latest smear from the Left is that, while Palin has a new baby boy with Down syndrome, she cut government funding for special ed.

Just one problem: reductions were from a budget formulated under outgoing Governor Frank Murkowski, whom she defeated.

Based on recommendations from a legislative task force, the Alaska legislature passed and Palin signed an education overhaul which increased special needs spending 175%.

http://www.dakotavoice.com/2008/09/special-ed-smear.html
----------------------------------------------------
And to call Obama's hanging onto the coattails of Sen Luger a legislative feat is laughable....

To say, "He helped pass" is something and claiming that as a significant accomplishment is showing desperation...

Aside from how hilarious it is to hear a Republican say "who gives a shit" about flip flopping, I would like to point out that it is well-documented on this board & elsewhere how many lies Palin told in just one speech.

Big lies, easy to prove. Ha ha.

MORE FACTS TO CHEW ON.....

While the state made a decision to close down mental health institutions in the 1990s, it has been unable to provide alternative services for children with mental health issues.

The rural makeup of the state outside Anchorage (where half the population resides) makes services all the more difficult.

"The reason they have so many problems is lack of resources," said Gary Mayerson, a lawyer who represents children with autism in 30 states. "We once went to Kodiak Island, where there are probably more bears than people, to see a kid with autism who needed a behavioral consultant. They literally have to fly these people in on float planes. So I can't exactly fault a school system for not having a speech therapist, but I do fault the district for not bringing them in or sending children out of the district for those resources."

Palin recently signed legislation that rewrote the state's school financing formulas, in the process dramatically increasing the budget for school districts that serve children with extreme special needs. "She had no role whatsoever" in the development of the legislation, said its author, Representative Mike Hawker, a Republican. "Her role was signing. She recognized the importance of what we did and endorsed it."

Democrats have pointed, sometimes correctly, sometimes erroneously, to items in the state budget for the disabled that Palin cut. According to state documents, she cut the state's Special Olympics budget in half.

The central concern of many parents with children who have special needs is the financing to fulfill the decades-old federal mandate requiring public schools to offer educational services to their children — or pay for them in nonpublic school settings.

The law, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, passed in 1975 with bipartisan support, called for the federal government to pick up 40 percent of the state cost of teaching children with special needs. The federal government pays less than half that, though more under the Bush administration than under President Bill Clinton.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/07/america/07needs.php

Back