faith is boolean

One can study the laws of physics and chemistry and "believe" they have a good grasp on how the universe functions. But you still are exercising faith - faith that your methods yielded accurate results, faith that your hypothesis can be extended beyond the sets of experimental data that have so far verified the hypotheses. (Which in physics is risky, as it has already been shown how quickly Newtonian laws break down under various circumstances.)

And religious faith is based on the observation of miracles. Life is a miracle. Science CLAIMS to have an explanation for life, but when that explanation is examined closely, one finds as many unsupported, unobservable and untestable assumptions in that explanation as one finds in a religious explanation.

As is the very set of laws of chemistry and physics upon which you base your observations. One can say the laws that allowed us to develop and to use the periodic table of elements to describe - and predict - the behavior of the elements is "just the way the universe works". Or one can say it is because the laws of chemistry (and physics) were deliberately and carefully designed. Neither view is observable, testable, nor provable. Both views are based on faith in one's own conclusions.

repeatable tests are one of the requirements of the scientific method

would you consider gravity an article of faith

as for theories, if the tests that support a given theory are repeatable with the same result and describe what is commonly designated reality then such a theory may be signpost to guide us through our lives

on the metaphysical level i believe in universal ghea (a universal mind that composes all of the universes) however, i cannot prove it so it is an article of faith

one day each of us will find out if our metaphysical belief is true or not - possibly all faiths are true

Rev Rich

repeatable tests are one of the requirements of the scientific method

would you consider gravity an article of faith

as for theories, if the tests that support a given theory are repeatable with the same result and describe what is commonly designated reality then such a theory may be signpost to guide us through our lives

on the metaphysical level i believe in universal ghea (a universal mind that composes all of the universes) however, i cannot prove it so it is an article of faith

one day each of us will find out if our metaphysical belief is true or not - possibly all faiths are true

Rev Rich

The test I suggested is repeatable. You can conduct this test on anyone who doesn't routinely practice the rituals in the experiment. The results are physical, conditions of your life, success and relationships, are physical things we can observe and document. I would love to see at least 100 of you skeptical closed-minded Atheistic types, try this experiment for a year and document the results in a scientific manner, applying the same level of 'faith' in spirituality as you have in physical science. If you conducted this experiment, you may find as Einstein did, that God doesn't play dice. You may actually realize there is more to human spirituality than a 'security blanket' which would have long ago evolved out of the species, if Darwinism is correct. Perhaps you may even come to realize why humanity is so profoundly tied to spiritual beliefs and faith. But... you won't.

But of course, dixie will say ultimately we need faith in our senses to observe scientific evidence, so really, everything is faith. You all realize that's stupid, right?

Faith is a special belief. A belief with no proof.

Faith is belief. Whatever you believe in, you also have faith in. Whatever you have faith in, you also believe in. The words are synonymous. It is impossible to believe in something but not have faith in it, and it is impossible to have faith in something you don't believe in. The fact that you could give no examples, proves my point... you lose... fist up your own ass again, huh?

Faith is belief. Whatever you believe in, you also have faith in. Whatever you have faith in, you also believe in. The words are synonymous. It is impossible to believe in something but not have faith in it, and it is impossible to have faith in something you don't believe in. The fact that you could give no examples, proves my point... you lose... fist up your own ass again, huh?

i dunno. i believe in comfortable footwear but i ain't got too much faith in my sneakers.

No. You're oversimplifying. Faith is a SPECIAL KIND of belief. Don't murder the language to make your assinine points.

No. You're oversimplifying. Faith is a SPECIAL KIND of belief. Don't murder the language to make your assinine points.

be·lief
–noun
1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.
[Origin: 1125–75; earlier bile(e)ve (n. use of v.); r. ME bileave, equiv. to bi- be- + leave; cf. OE geléafa (c. D geloof, G Glaube; akin to Goth galaubeins)]

—Synonyms 1. view, tenet, conclusion, persuasion. 2. assurance. Belief, certainty, conviction refer to acceptance of, or confidence in, an alleged fact or body of facts as true or right without positive knowledge or proof. Belief is such acceptance in general: belief in astrology. Certainty indicates unquestioning belief and positiveness in one's own mind that something is true: I know this for a certainty. Conviction is settled, profound, or earnest belief that something is right: a conviction that a decision is just. 4. doctrine, dogma.

FISTED!

be·lief
–noun
1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.
3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.
4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.
[Origin: 1125–75; earlier bile(e)ve (n. use of v.); r. ME bileave, equiv. to bi- be- + leave; cf. OE geléafa (c. D geloof, G Glaube; akin to Goth galaubeins)]

—Synonyms 1. view, tenet, conclusion, persuasion. 2. assurance. Belief, certainty, conviction refer to acceptance of, or confidence in, an alleged fact or body of facts as true or right without positive knowledge or proof. Belief is such acceptance in general: belief in astrology. Certainty indicates unquestioning belief and positiveness in one's own mind that something is true: I know this for a certainty. Conviction is settled, profound, or earnest belief that something is right: a conviction that a decision is just. 4. doctrine, dogma.

FISTED!

All definitions do not equate it to faith. Im using 1. when I say belief.

Back