Fear of school shootings is keeping cell phones in school. Our kids will pay the pric

Fuck that impact bullshit. They don't attack police stations because they will get their asses blown to shit.

But the common fact of it all is that if they didn’t have the gun they wouldn’t get their “asses blown to shit” nor would school kids get slaughtered

You're right, it's probably not realistic to think we could even if we wanted too. I just think it's unfortunate.

True, but “Jarod” hit on what could be the positive side, incorporating tech into the curriculum, would have to measure the opportunity costs of such

True, but “Jarod” hit on what could be the positive side, incorporating tech into the curriculum, would have to measure the opportunity costs of such

Almost all schools have technology available for kids to use. It's not a matter of if a kid can't use their cellphone (or doesn't have one) he/she will not be able to do their work.

The opportunity cost question is a slam dunk. The negatives of cell phones in schools (vis a vis social media access) far far outweigh any positives. The research shows that mental health, depression, anxiety issues etc. etc. have skyrocketed since cell phone use (social media) have become so prevalent for kids. Kids are still going to use their phones and access social media outside of school. But while in school/class they don't need them.

Almost all schools have technology available for kids to use. It's not a matter of if a kid can't use their cellphone (or doesn't have one) he/she will not be able to do their work.

The opportunity cost question is a slam dunk. The negatives of cell phones in schools (vis a vis social media access) far far outweigh any positives. The research shows that mental health, depression, anxiety issues etc. etc. have skyrocketed since cell phone use (social media) have become so prevalent for kids. Kids are still going to use their phones and access social media outside of school. But while in school/class they don't need them.

They do, but I don’t believe all of it is incorporated into the in actual class curriculum, then again, I am not a teacher

And you correct again, but as I said, it is a finished battle, largely because of parents, the best schools can do is try to control it, I’ve read locally where they have policies where the phones have to go into lockers during certain times of the day

They do, but I don’t believe all of it is incorporated into the in actual class curriculum, then again, I am not a teacher

And you correct again, but as I said, it is a finished battle, largely because of parents, the best schools can do is try to control it, I’ve read locally where they have policies where the phones have to go into lockers during certain times of the day

I'm having flashbacks to going to the U.S. Open and a comedy show where each event made you check in your phones prior to entry. I don't know how realistic that is to do each day at a large school but policies where they have to stay in lockers during certain times of the day may be the best we'll get (if you desire kids not to use them during school hours).

For children, a cell phone becomes a crutch. It handicaps them because they never learn how to deal with issues without it.

This is an opinion piece but I find it pretty convincing. Basically it's arguing we know how bad social media etc. is for our kids. And while school shootings are scary, they are statistically extremely rare and even if one were to occur the idea of trying to reach out to your kid during one does nothing to help. Basically it's an illusion of safety and control for parents.

I don't think anyone here is a member of Gen Z. We all somehow survived growing up and going to school without a cell phone. I think kids can survive the school day without spending their time on Tic Tok and other social media sites. I do understand the need to coordinate pick up rides and so forth after school/practice and having a cell phone adds a level of convenience. But on the whole, so much more negative comes from them than good. I see no issue with keeping them out of schools.

Anyone think otherwise?

Fear of school shootings is keeping cell phones in school. Our kids will pay the price

Despite an abundance of evidence that phone addiction is wreaking havoc on every aspect of our children’s lives — and news that attorneys general from 41 states and the District of Columbia are suing Meta for its contribution to this crisis — many parents are still opposed to outright cell phone bans in schools.

Why? In the event of a school shooting, these parents say they want to be able to reach their child. While it’s understandable that parents (including me) live in terror that a school shooting could happen at their child’s school, that reasoning is misguided and comes with a substantial cost to our kids’ well-being.

Despite how horrific they are, school shootings — like abductions or terrorist attacks — are extraordinarily rare. Kids are more likely to get hit by lightning. Moreover, if there was an active shooter in their school, using a cell phone would be less safe for our kids. It would distract them at the very moment they need to be most alert, safety experts say, and could actually call attention to their location when they need to stay hidden.

Wanting our children to have phones in schools is really about placating our own anxiety as parents. We’re so scared out of our minds of a potential school shooting that we’re trading our children’s mental, social-emotional and intellectual well-being for our ability to “reach” them in case of a hypothetical event.

As a growing body of research shows, and as the U.S. Surgeon General has warned, smartphones (and social media) pose actual, proven harms — like depression, suicidality and eating disorders — not potential ones.

The numbers of children struggling with cyberbullying, anxiety and loneliness — correlated to social media use — are so staggering that in 2021 the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Children’s Hospital Association issued a joint declaration of a national emergency in child and adolescent mental health — and the emergency is ongoing. The number of students battling eating disorders, depression, anxiety, loneliness and self-harm has skyrocketed since 2012, the year that youth smartphone use exploded.

It’s no surprise we’re hyper-focused on school shootings: unregulated, attention-optimizing algorithms used by social media — and even, regrettably, by professional newsrooms — amplify whatever is most extreme, and distort our perception of likely (versus unlikely) threats. Unfortunately, most of us don’t have the media literacy tools to understand that, nor recognize when it’s best to look away from our screens and focus on what’s right in front of us.

As parents, we can no longer afford to indulge our anxiety at the expense of our children’s health. Schools that are dedicated to establishing the foundational social, emotional and intellectual well-being of young people need to be screen-free spaces that revolve around learning and face-to-face peer interaction — not places where kids can (and do) watch TikTok, play video games and boost their Snapstreaks. If kids can’t catch a break from our oversaturated media environment at school, where can they?

A number of countries around the world have already made the move to protect their kids. China, England, Finland, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal have all instituted bans on cell phones in schools. Japan has had a ban in place since 2009.

Some schools in the U.S. instituted cell phone bans over the summer, hoping to dial back the harms and learning loss from excessive screen time during the pandemic. A 2019 report from the National Center for Education Statistics indicated that 65.8% of U.S. public schools had some cell phone bans in place. That may sound like a good number, but it’s a significant drop from the 91% that banned phones a decade earlier — and doesn’t reflect the lockdown-fueled boost in smartphone addiction.

Last year, lawmakers passed and Gov. Gavin Newsom signed the California Age-Appropriate Design Code Act, which would mandate big companies provide basic privacy and safety protections in the design of any digital product or service that children in the state are likely to access. But even that legislation has been attacked. A powerful lobby group funded by Big Tech filed an appeal claiming the law was an infringement of free speech rights and last month won a preliminary injunction. California Attorney General Rob Bonta filed a notice of appeal to overturn the ruling, a move cheered by a broad coalition of children’s advocates.

Being able to text your child during the unlikely event of a school shooting provides only a false sense of control — an illusion of safety. If we’re serious about wanting to keep kids safe, healthy and thriving, we need to keep kids safe from smartphones and unregulated social media.

In 2015, then-New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio reversed a cell phone ban for all 32 districts in the largest public school system in the nation, allowing over a million students to bring their phones into the classroom as per their individual school’s code.

The focus then was on “parental rights,” but who is organizing on our children’s behalf to protect them from the harmful effects and sure addiction to devices?

Clearly, not even their own parents.

Julie Scelfo is executive director of Get Media Savvy, a nonprofit working to establish a healthier media environment for kids and families.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/cellphone-ban-school-shooting-18464820.php

I agree on the damage social media has done. A good “check your phones at the door” policy would be great.

I agree on the damage social media has done. A good “check your phones at the door” policy would be great.

That seems like the best case scenario to me (although it could be a logistical nightmare, thus almost impractical, for a large school to do that each morning and afternoon for all students).

That seems like the best case scenario to me (although it could be a logistical nightmare, thus almost impractical, for a large school to do that each morning and afternoon for all students).

Naw, I don’t think so. The policy could be students that can only identify a need to have a phone at school can bring one. Special needs type stuff, etc. All others stay home. That reduces the number from the getgo.

Naw, I don’t think so. The policy could be students that can only identify a need to have a phone at school can bring one. Special needs type stuff, etc. All others stay home. That reduces the number from the getgo.

Getting more into the weeds I could see pushback on that from parents who would say they need to coordinate with their kids after school etc. so making kids keep their phones at home is a no-go. But you are correct, if that was approved it would eliminate this issue in the classroom/on campus.

I'm having flashbacks to going to the U.S. Open and a comedy show where each event made you check in your phones prior to entry. I don't know how realistic that is to do each day at a large school but policies where they have to stay in lockers during certain times of the day may be the best we'll get (if you desire kids not to use them during school hours).

And I was at the U.S. Open in ‘22 where not only were call phones allowed but they provided full radio coverage to each individual via free ear plugs, they incorporated the technology into the production. Was also at one in ‘09 where you had to check your cell phone, and umbrella

Realistic only if you enforce it, but with all the problems teacher have with kids I’m sure they might question if it is is a battle worth fighting

And as a side note, got to say the USC-Wash game was entertaining, might even be the game of the future, football fans love offense, and that one sure had all one could ask

Good luck selling that to the parents who are the biggest obstacle in getting phones out of schools

And I was at the U.S. Open in ‘22 where not only were call phones allowed but they provided full radio coverage to each individual via free ear plugs, they incorporated the technology into the production. Was also at one in ‘09 where you had to check your cell phone, and umbrella

Realistic only if you enforce it, but with all the problems teacher have with kids I’m sure they might question if it is is a battle worth fighting

And as a side note, got to say the USC-Wash game was entertaining, might even be the game of the future, football fans love offense, and that one sure had all one could ask

2012 at The Olympic Club. They made us check them in prior.

I'm sure teachers don't want to be babysitting in that regard (although if cell phones are enough of a distraction maybe they would view it as worth it).

Our defense is statistically the worst in USC's history. We have a generational QB and we're wasting it because Riley refused to fire Grinch (the DC) in the off-season.

Getting more into the weeds I could see pushback on that from parents who would say they need to coordinate with their kids after school etc. so making kids keep their phones at home is a no-go. But you are correct, if that was approved it would eliminate this issue in the classroom/on campus.

If I were an administrator, that excuse wouldn’t cut it. We all know our parents coordinated without phones forever. But, alas, I’m not.

This is an opinion piece but I find it pretty convincing. Basically it's arguing we know how bad social media etc. is for our kids. And while school shootings are scary, they are statistically extremely rare and even if one were to occur the idea of trying to reach out to your kid during one does nothing to help. Basically it's an illusion of safety and control for parents.

I don't think anyone here is a member of Gen Z. We all somehow survived growing up and going to school without a cell phone. I think kids can survive the school day without spending their time on Tic Tok and other social media sites. I do understand the need to coordinate pick up rides and so forth after school/practice and having a cell phone adds a level of convenience. But on the whole, so much more negative comes from them than good. I see no issue with keeping them out of schools.

Anyone think otherwise?

Fear of school shootings is keeping cell phones in school. Our kids will pay the price

Despite an abundance of evidence that phone addiction is wreaking havoc on every aspect of our children’s lives — and news that attorneys general from 41 states and the District of Columbia are suing Meta for its contribution to this crisis — many parents are still opposed to outright cell phone bans in schools.

Why? In the event of a school shooting, these parents say they want to be able to reach their child. While it’s understandable that parents (including me) live in terror that a school shooting could happen at their child’s school, that reasoning is misguided and comes with a substantial cost to our kids’ well-being.

Despite how horrific they are, school shootings — like abductions or terrorist attacks — are extraordinarily rare. Kids are more likely to get hit by lightning. Moreover, if there was an active shooter in their school, using a cell phone would be less safe for our kids. It would distract them at the very moment they need to be most alert, safety experts say, and could actually call attention to their location when they need to stay hidden.

Wanting our children to have phones in schools is really about placating our own anxiety as parents. We’re so scared out of our minds of a potential school shooting that we’re trading our children’s mental, social-emotional and intellectual well-being for our ability to “reach” them in case of a hypothetical event.

As a growing body of research shows, and as the U.S. Surgeon General has warned, smartphones (and social media) pose actual, proven harms — like depression, suicidality and eating disorders — not potential ones.

The numbers of children struggling with cyberbullying, anxiety and loneliness — correlated to social media use — are so staggering that in 2021 the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Children’s Hospital Association issued a joint declaration of a national emergency in child and adolescent mental health — and the emergency is ongoing. The number of students battling eating disorders, depression, anxiety, loneliness and self-harm has skyrocketed since 2012, the year that youth smartphone use exploded.

It’s no surprise we’re hyper-focused on school shootings: unregulated, attention-optimizing algorithms used by social media — and even, regrettably, by professional newsrooms — amplify whatever is most extreme, and distort our perception of likely (versus unlikely) threats. Unfortunately, most of us don’t have the media literacy tools to understand that, nor recognize when it’s best to look away from our screens and focus on what’s right in front of us.

As parents, we can no longer afford to indulge our anxiety at the expense of our children’s health. Schools that are dedicated to establishing the foundational social, emotional and intellectual well-being of young people need to be screen-free spaces that revolve around learning and face-to-face peer interaction — not places where kids can (and do) watch TikTok, play video games and boost their Snapstreaks. If kids can’t catch a break from our oversaturated media environment at school, where can they?

A number of countries around the world have already made the move to protect their kids. China, England, Finland, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Portugal have all instituted bans on cell phones in schools. Japan has had a ban in place since 2009.

Some schools in the U.S. instituted cell phone bans over the summer, hoping to dial back the harms and learning loss from excessive screen time during the pandemic. A 2019 report from the National Center for Education Statistics indicated that 65.8% of U.S. public schools had some cell phone bans in place. That may sound like a good number, but it’s a significant drop from the 91% that banned phones a decade earlier — and doesn’t reflect the lockdown-fueled boost in smartphone addiction.

Last year, lawmakers passed and Gov. Gavin Newsom signed the California Age-Appropriate Design Code Act, which would mandate big companies provide basic privacy and safety protections in the design of any digital product or service that children in the state are likely to access. But even that legislation has been attacked. A powerful lobby group funded by Big Tech filed an appeal claiming the law was an infringement of free speech rights and last month won a preliminary injunction. California Attorney General Rob Bonta filed a notice of appeal to overturn the ruling, a move cheered by a broad coalition of children’s advocates.

Being able to text your child during the unlikely event of a school shooting provides only a false sense of control — an illusion of safety. If we’re serious about wanting to keep kids safe, healthy and thriving, we need to keep kids safe from smartphones and unregulated social media.

In 2015, then-New York City Mayor Bill DeBlasio reversed a cell phone ban for all 32 districts in the largest public school system in the nation, allowing over a million students to bring their phones into the classroom as per their individual school’s code.

The focus then was on “parental rights,” but who is organizing on our children’s behalf to protect them from the harmful effects and sure addiction to devices?

Clearly, not even their own parents.

Julie Scelfo is executive director of Get Media Savvy, a nonprofit working to establish a healthier media environment for kids and families.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/cellphone-ban-school-shooting-18464820.php

we need cell phones in schools just to keep eyes on big brother and his perverted teachings.

the article is unconvincing and you're an imbecile.

Alex Grinch was just fired (our DC). Riley should have fired him after last year's Cotton Bowl. Now he's wasted Caleb's final season.

If I were an administrator, that excuse wouldn’t cut it. We all know our parents coordinated without phones forever. But, alas, I’m not.

why should school be a digital black hole?

because teachers don't want their pervy advances and questionable teachings going viral?

Alex Grinch was just fired (our DC). Riley should have fired him after last year's Cotton Bowl. Now he's wasted Caleb's final season.

I don’t know “cawacko,” ever since you have been selling the potential of USC football you seem to be always wanted this coach or that coach fired. Could it be they fall short of the right personnel for the coaches to work with, which would amazing for USC since they have been robbing from other programs for a few years now, ain’t called transfer U for no reason, although Deon did set new records at Colorado. You got to do what Utah did, buy them all new $56,000 vehicles, the whole team

And can’t say the product on the field last night wasn’t entertaining nor exciting, and I didn’t even have a fish in the game

Back