Former Top Canadian Dr. Brian Day: Obamacare Will Bring Rationed Care & Skyrocketing

What's the purpose of asking someone that question?

It's to make it easier for your survivors in case such a decision should become necessary. Ask an attorney or compassionate doctor. I had to make the decision without knowing my mother's desires, it will not occur with my family, what I want is on paper, pull the plug.

In case their health deteriorates to the point where they're just a vegetable. My parents have living wills and went through this type of checklist before deciding what level of treatment they wanted at the end of life.

Bud's grandmother had a pace maker put in a 89, the family had not asked her what she wanted, not had she been briefed, she would not have chosen to have the pace maker put in had she known in advance what was in store for her and her heart!

Bud's grandmother had a pace maker put in a 89, the family had not asked her what she wanted, not had she been briefed, she would not have chosen to have the pace maker put in had she known in advance what was in store for her and her heart!

I agree. It's much better to make these decisions while a person still has a sound mind and body, than to wait for the worst to happen and not be in a position to make the choice.

Look at page 21 and tell me that this isn't a table to help you figure out if your life is worth living. *shrug*

Southern Man, here's a situation I was faced with 15 years ago. I would like to hear how you would have handled it.

My Aunt was 87 years old. She never married. Had no children. She was close to my brother and I and our mother, her sister. She always lived alone and loved to travel to Europe. You could say she was a "woman's libber" before women's lib was popular.:D

During the previous few years she seldom left her home due to difficulty walking. We (my mother, brother and I) suggested she move to a home for the aged where she would be looked after. We explained to her that if something happened, she fell or took ill, no one would be there to help her even though my mother phoned her at least once a day to see if she was OK. She made us all promise we would never, ever put her in a "home". She said she would rather die alone than be in an old folks home. We decided to have a lady visit once a day to make her a hot meal and tidy up the house. (My Aunt could manage to get breakfast and a light snack.)

Anyway, one day the lady happened to be there when my Aunt took ill. She had a stomach hemorrhage. The lady called an ambulance and they took her to the hospital.

They operated, the operation opened when she moved in the bed as her skin was too thin to hold the stitches, they closed the operation again. Then they sedated her and started intravenous.

A few days later we talked with the doctor. The prognosis was she would have to stay in the hospital for probably one month, if she survived, at which time she would be moved to a convalescent home. She would never recuperate to the point where she could return to her own home.

So, the doctor asked, are you going to make arrangements for her to be moved to a "home" or do you want us to stop treatment and let her go?

What would you have decided bearing in mind she never, ever wanted to end up in a "home"?

Southern Man, here's a situation I was faced with 15 years ago. I would like to hear how you would have handled it.

My Aunt was 87 years old. She never married. Had no children. She was close to my brother and I and our mother, her sister. She always lived alone and loved to travel to Europe. You could say she was a "woman's libber" before women's lib was popular.:D

During the previous few years she seldom left her home due to difficulty walking. We (my mother, brother and I) suggested she move to a home for the aged where she would be looked after. We explained to her that if something happened, she fell or took ill, no one would be there to help her even though my mother phoned her at least once a day to see if she was OK. She made us all promise we would never, ever put her in a "home". She said she would rather die alone than be in an old folks home. We decided to have a lady visit once a day to make her a hot meal and tidy up the house. (My Aunt could manage to get breakfast and a light snack.)

Anyway, one day the lady happened to be there when my Aunt took ill. She had a stomach hemorrhage. The lady called an ambulance and they took her to the hospital.

They operated, the operation opened when she moved in the bed as her skin was too thin to hold the stitches, they closed the operation again. Then they sedated her and started intravenous.

A few days later we talked with the doctor. The prognosis was she would have to stay in the hospital for probably one month, if she survived, at which time she would be moved to a convalescent home. She would never recuperate to the point where she could return to her own home.

So, the doctor asked, are you going to make arrangements for her to be moved to a "home" or do you want us to stop treatment and let her go?

What would you have decided bearing in mind she never, ever wanted to end up in a "home"?
It is so hard, I am so sorry, but I am sure you handled it with love, humor and grace.

It's to make it easier for your survivors in case such a decision should become necessary. Ask an attorney or compassionate doctor. I had to make the decision without knowing my mother's desires, it will not occur with my family, what I want is on paper, pull the plug.
In case their health deteriorates to the point where they're just a vegetable. My parents have living wills and went through this type of checklist before deciding what level of treatment they wanted at the end of life.
So the decision is to die or not; its a death decision matrix.

That decision is entirely yours, not mine. Your question may soon be, what would some government bureaucrat decide?

Here's the deal. In the last 12 years my mom developed a serious condition that landed her in the hospital ER a few times, and on one or two occasions required serious hospitalization. While in the ER once, I was next to a room where an old guy who already had poor health came in with cranial damage from a bath tub fall. Long story short: the doctor informed the family that his condition was terminal and that one of the options besides mechanical sustaining him was to let him go naturally (as surgery was out of the question).

For the neocons to wail like banshees as if this type of counsel never happened before is just plain silly.

Here's the deal. In the last 12 years my mom developed a serious condition that landed her in the hospital ER a few times, and on one or two occasions required serious hospitalization. While in the ER once, I was next to a room where an old guy who already had poor health came in with cranial damage from a bath tub fall. Long story short: the doctor informed the family that his condition was terminal and that one of the options besides mechanical sustaining him was to let him go naturally (as surgery was out of the question).

For the neocons to wail like banshees as if this type of counsel never happened before is just plain silly.
Again, I'd prefer that the family make that decision upon advice from their doctor instead of some government bureaucrat with a budget to meet. But that's just me. *shrug*

That decision is entirely yours, not mine. Your question may soon be, what would some government bureaucrat decide?
Well, it was true for some during during the Bush administration, and Obama has retained the rendition policy, so I guess time will tell.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal

Again, I'd prefer that the family make that decision upon advice from their doctor instead of some government bureaucrat with a budget to meet. But that's just me. *shrug*

Again, there is NOTHING in the current proposals from that are circulating through the Congress that directs a bureaucrat to supercede/intervene/influence a doctor in this instance in any shape, manner or form. THE DOCTORS ARE ALREADY DOING THIS, AND WHERE DOING IT FOR A LONG, LONG TIME. What folk like you FAIL/REFUSE to understand is that the Obama proposals get medicare to cover the bill for counseling THAT IS ALREADY AN OPTION FOR FAMILY MEMBERS.

For the love of God, pull your head out of your ass (or Limbaughs', or WND, or Foxnews, or Hannity's or Newsmax)...even FactCheck.org has called the neocon noise machine on this:

http://factcheck.org/2009/07/false-euthanasia-claims/

Back