Garden...

If you want to try it, then try it. I was just extending the courtesy of truth. Some mistakes people are bound to make on their own so have at it. At least you can say your tried it.

I got a pasta maker as a gift a few years ago; have never used it. Like you said, buying it is just easier.

I have back trouble. I sit here and watch the weeds grow until it drives me out to make my back worse in the garden, and it's been a bad year anyway. I think I had better take up philosophy!

I have back trouble. I sit here and watch the weeds grow until it drives me out to make my back worse in the garden, and it's been a bad year anyway. I think I had better take up philosophy!

Heheheh. What's been bad..... the weather conditions?

Heheheh. What's been bad..... the weather conditions?

Arctic winter, suddenly succeeded by Saharan drought, to hoots of delight from the skin-cancer fans, plus about four different pests killing the crops I favour. Only French beans and beetroot did well. I am tempted to give up the belief of years and start spraying like a madman! These things are sent to try us! :)

Arctic winter, suddenly succeeded by Saharan drought, to hoots of delight from the skin-cancer fans, plus about four different pests killing the crops I favour. Only French beans and beetroot did well. I am tempted to give up the belief of years and start spraying like a madman! These things are sent to try us! :)

I hear you. We had a cold and long snowy winter, followed by above average temps and drought as well. For the year, including snow melt, we are at only 10.08 inches (25.6 cm). Pests haven't been an issue though, thankfully.

Not really a plant thing, but I am fascinated by a war being waged by a hawk and some crows for who will control the skies over my garden. Has been going on for awhile and they are back at it today. One crow took off, hawk followed suit, followed by a bunch of crows going after the hawk. It is like they were luring it into a trap. Nice change of pace from the 30 or so turkey buzzards that keep showing up every few days. God I hope they never build a nest out there. They are nasty birds to have about.

In the middle of a 4 day weekend. I cleaned out and rearranged both freezers Friday, sorting our supply of fish. Decided to brine and smoke some catfish and gar. My boy was up near Stillwater playing baseball so the wife and I had the run of things. In the midst of doing things people do when their kids are away ... then stealing away on a date or two (one was to go fishing:)), I fired up the smoker and laid the fish to it yesterday. Boy oh boy did it turn out good. Planning on canning pinto beans this afternoon after church.

Not really a plant thing, but I am fascinated by a war being waged by a hawk and some crows for who will control the skies over my garden. Has been going on for awhile and they are back at it today. One crow took off, hawk followed suit, followed by a bunch of crows going after the hawk. It is like they were luring it into a trap. Nice change of pace from the 30 or so turkey buzzards that keep showing up every few days. God I hope they never build a nest out there. They are nasty birds to have about.

I'm sorry I didn't see this till just now. Isn't that cool? It's called "mobbing." You can often find an owl at roost in the forest by following the crows. If you find a gang ("murder"!) together screeching, there's an owl or hawk there drawing them.

Thursday I was out in our woods hoping to find some late-season shrooms. A great horned owl flew across the road and perched up in a tree close to me. She looked around, did some grooming and feather rearranging, dropped a splat, then soundlessly drifted off through the woods towards the Lake. Very cool!

Here's a pic of her. She's to the left of the tree trunk, and a bit down from the fork. Also a pic of the honeysuckle vines, which are in the blue pot. The vines behind are bottle gourds.

IqPfOVy.jpg

8AL0BBk.jpg

In the middle of a 4 day weekend. I cleaned out and rearranged both freezers Friday, sorting our supply of fish. Decided to brine and smoke some catfish and gar. My boy was up near Stillwater playing baseball so the wife and I had the run of things. In the midst of doing things people do when their kids are away ... then stealing away on a date or two (one was to go fishing:)), I fired up the smoker and laid the fish to it yesterday. Boy oh boy did it turn out good. Planning on canning pinto beans this afternoon after church.

Nothing like healthy done-it-yourself food, eh?

I'm sorry I didn't see this till just now. Isn't that cool? It's called "mobbing." You can often find an owl at roost in the forest by following the crows. If you find a gang ("murder"!) together screeching, there's an owl or hawk there drawing them.

Thursday I was out in our woods hoping to find some late-season shrooms. A great horned owl flew across the road and perched up in a tree close to me. She looked around, did some grooming and feather rearranging, dropped a splat, then soundlessly drifted off through the woods towards the Lake. Very cool!

Here's a pic of her. She's to the left of the tree trunk, and a bit down from the fork. Also a pic of the honeysuckle vines, which are in the blue pot. The vines behind are bottle gourds.

We had a barn owl for a day earlier this year. They prefer the deeper woods around here. The crows are more regular visitors than the hawk. They get used to using the birdbaths and feeders when they are young. They really can't get at the feeders as adults, except to clean up after the other birds drop whatever they shovel off or the deer leave behind. The limb for one broke so I put it on a Shepard's hook. The deer now shake all the food out and eat it off the ground. Doesn't bother me though. At least they have to work for their supper. I don't really favor one seed eater over the others. They can fight it out, take turns, whatever. Anyway, the hawks show up looking for moles I think as we have several tunneling their way through the field. I don't mind the moles either. They at least keep the red clay aerated. Just means I have to take extra precaution when planting tulips. They do a pretty good job of staying out of the food growing beds. All God's creatures have a place in the choir and all that.

Nothing like healthy done-it-yourself food, eh?

Yes. Following a dietary guideline that my wife likes to [loosly] follow, storebought canned pintos are red while dried or home canned pintos are yellow....meaning the latter are better for a person. Plus it cost cents per pint to can them and they make for an easy addition to several meals.

Yes. Following a dietary guideline that my wife likes to [loosly] follow, storebought canned pintos are red while dried or home canned pintos are yellow....meaning the latter are better for a person. Plus it cost cents per pint to can them and they make for an easy addition to several meals.

You do them in a pressure canner? Are they healthier that way than if you stored them as dried beans? I'm growing black beans and planned on storing them dry. I think you are supposed to leave them on the vines till the entire plant is dried up, is that right? First time growing them, don't know much about them. They're in a huge pot in the greenhouse. I also have scarlet runner beans out in the beds; those I store as dry beans.

You do them in a pressure canner? Are they healthier that way than if you stored them as dried beans? I'm growing black beans and planned on storing them dry. I think you are supposed to leave them on the vines till the entire plant is dried up, is that right? First time growing them, don't know much about them. They're in a huge pot in the greenhouse. I also have scarlet runner beans out in the beds; those I store as dry beans.

Storing them dry is the best and easiest way to go. Nutritional value is about the same though canned beans need to be used eith8n a year. I just can some for the time saving convenience of heat and eat instead of having to cook from dry. But I store most of my shelled legumes (beans and peas) dry. I let them stay as long as I can on the vine. Sometimes the vine has dried up sometimes not. In the garden I run the risk of the pods bursting if I leave them too long. But the pods need to be “crackly dry” (if that makes sense) before harvesting.

Storing them dry is the best and easiest way to go. Nutritional value is about the same though canned beans need to be used eith8n a year. I just can some for the time saving convenience of heat and eat instead of having to cook from dry. But I store most of my shelled legumes (beans and peas) dry. I let them stay as long as I can on the vine. Sometimes the vine has dried up sometimes not. In the garden I run the risk of the pods bursting if I leave them too long. But the pods need to be “crackly dry” (if that makes sense) before harvesting.

Thanks! It does make sense. Appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge. Gardening up here in the far north is a new experience; our former climate was more akin to yours. So last year and this year and next as well I'm experimenting with various veggies, trying to get a feel for what grows the best, and which are forgetaboutits.

Thanks! It does make sense. Appreciate you sharing your experience and knowledge. Gardening up here in the far north is a new experience; our former climate was more akin to yours. So last year and this year and next as well I'm experimenting with various veggies, trying to get a feel for what grows the best, and which are forgetaboutits.

There is a youtuber something like MIgardener who might could clue you in. There is always your local extension agent. Mother Earth News has a set up where you provide then your info and they email you garden reminders as to what you could/should be planting at any given time.

Stopped at a farm stand and bought a couple cell packs of cabbage. Never have much luck with it, but a fool and his money are soon parted.

Back