Garden...

Got home from KY last Friday. The bugs are about to carry my garden off. Squash bugs all over my squash plants, some little iridescent green-back bug sucking the sap (and thus the life) out of my cucumbers, ants invading my okra...it’s the invasion of the insects! Oh, and the rabbits had eaten about 1/4 of my green beans.

I dispatched the rabbit with my Ruger Airhawk pellet gun yesterday morning before going to church and have a jar with a little gasoline in it and have started picking the bugs off my squash plants and have used some liquid Sevin on my cucumbers (its several weeks before they start bearing).

IT’S FARGIN WAR!!!
I make a concoction of liguid soap, ground cayenne pepper and tobacco that does wonders at keeping pests at bay.

I make a concoction of liguid soap, ground cayenne pepper and tobacco that does wonders at keeping pests at bay.

I recall seeing a formulation that was a 2-in 1 repellent and compost tea combined that involved Redman Chewing Tobacco, compost, molasses, a tad bit of dawn liquid soap, and a bunch of random things aerated in a bucket then sprayed. I looked at all the ingredients I would need and said, "Screw it. Sevin dust works for me."

Thanks. I have the upper hand on them now. I should be home for the rest of the summer. Well...I’m going to be forced to drag my camper and boat to a good catfish lake about an hour from here for four days next week but the garden should be fine in my absence. We’ve had a couple days of good rain too. Picked about 4 gallons of green beans this evening. Onions are bunched and hanged. Going good! I’ll remember the concoction though. I wrote it down and have been researching since I saw the post. Anytime I don’t have to use Liquid Sevin I’m happy.

The natural progression...

11aan9x.jpg

March

24zg9i0.jpg

April

sxep13.jpg

313g5yb.jpg

3501e1e.jpg

15mgtps.jpg

May/June

More to come. :)

I used to mix Palmolive Soap with water in one of those spray attachments for the garden hose.. Bugs seemed to hate it.. I used 7 dust, but I think the soap was more effective.
I like Neem oil, I always try natural products first, thanks for the tip.

Thanks. I have the upper hand on them now. I should be home for the rest of the summer. Well...I’m going to be forced to drag my camper and boat to a good catfish lake about an hour from here for four days next week but the garden should be fine in my absence. We’ve had a couple days of good rain too. Picked about 4 gallons of green beans this evening. Onions are bunched and hanged. Going good! I’ll remember the concoction though. I wrote it down and have been researching since I saw the post. Anytime I don’t have to use Liquid Sevin I’m happy.
Do you use cut bait for catfish? I try to find where they are hitting using crawlers then switch over to live shad or gills or cut bait if I can’t get live shad or keep them alive.

It is all about rolling the dice. I plant a wide variety because you never know which will be victor and which will be the vanquished. Saw my first squash beetle and carpet bombed with sevin last week. Other than deer, those are my biggest garden nemesis. I find that having a healthy crop of sunflowers diverts japanese beetles away from the things I want to eat as they really really love them sunflowers to feast on and the sunflowers generally survive rather unscathed.

I do a lot of smaller plots instead on one giant garden which helps as well. If one bed falls victim to something, there is usually more of it elsewhere. I did have to build a tomato pen to keep the deer off them. I tried all the other scent stuff but nothing worked great, so have a 10 foot by 30 foot tomato kennel now :cheer: I have tomatoes just in cages other places but double rowed that thing, and am running peas, cucumbers, and Christmas beans along the fence and underplanted the tomatoes with beets and chard, so it is working thus far and serves many purposes.

I am also having a potato contest. I planted several in 5 gal. buckets and then planted a 4X8 raised bed of them super dense so I am going to see once and for all which method is better. I am rooting for the buckets because I loathe digging potatoes in July and can just dump them out when the time comes. Potatoes grown in the south just don't keep that well so I don't go overboard with them.

My corn and okra are a complete bust this year. Not sure why. too much rain maybe. I only have a handful of each coming up when I planted beaucoup more than that, but all the hot peppers seem to be smashing it again this year.

I’ve found that a good dog will keep most four legged critters away. Particularly if the dog knows he’ll get shot for not doing his job.

Be careful with that around tomatoes though as tobacco can carry a mosaic disease.
That’s not a problem if you use it in a mixture as I have done in the past.

I wish I had some photos of my father in laws garden. It’s impressive. I convinced him to grow flowers. When I suggested it he thought I was nuts. Told him he could make money growing flowers and sending his grandkids to the city to sell them at the markets. So once a week he sent his two prettiest granddaughters to Buagio to sell flowers and used the profits to help fund their college education..

Do you use cut bait for catfish? I try to find where they are hitting using crawlers then switch over to live shad or gills or cut bait if I can’t get live shad or keep them alive.

It depends where I’m fishing and what kind of catfish. I’ll be using cut shad this week as I’ll be fishing mainly for blue cats where we’ll be. For channel cat my absolute favorite bait is catalpa worms. I gather them when they’re out and put 25 of them in snack bags, then put the snack bags in gallon freezer bags and freeze them. I have catalpa worms the year round. When fishing for flathead (or yellow cats as the Texans call them) I use live perch...the bigger the better. I caught the one in the pic (42 lb) on a blue gill that was as big as my hand. Disclaimer: these pics are from a couple years ago.

15chp3d.jpg

20j4rjl.jpg

Last edited:
Back