Gender bender...

Jarod

Contributor
Those who belive sexuality is a choice are likely to have made a choice.

It is my belife that people are born on a continunum regarding many things but for the purpose of this post... for sexual preference. Some are born a 10 being 100% attracted specifically only to the opposit sex, (I belive few are a 10, but most will deny that). The scale goes then to a 1, which equates to being attracted specifically and only to the same sex. (again very few). The majority of people fall between a 10 and a 1. Due to the expectations of society and the way we are generally taught from birth, people tend to identify themselves as a 1 or a 10 and order there lives accordingly. Life experience can

So if you are born a 10 you may have no choice in the matter as to how you will order your life, but the closer you are to a 5 the more choice you have over your biology. Given societys prejudice and expectations, most will choose to live life closer to the style of a 10.

Those who are a 1 or a 10 are likely to say that sexual preference is NOT a matter of choice but a matter of how you are born. Those who are born a 5, and likely made a choice at some point in life are likely to say sexuality is a choice.

Thats how its been explained to me by my gay brother in law and his gay friends on numerous occasions.

Why not. There is never black and white. im sure there is a range otherwise there wouldn't be bisexuals and metrosexuals.

I've never understood why it would matter if it was a choice. If that is what I liked, it is certainly what I would choose. And if I was "close", I would have chosen what I liked the most. And through it all I would know that the government and other busybodies have no business sticking their noses in my choices so long as I am not victimizing others.

I've never understood why it would matter if it was a choice. If that is what I liked, it is certainly what I would choose. And if I was "close", I would have chosen what I liked the most. And through it all I would know that the government and other busybodies have no business sticking their noses in my choices so long as I am not victimizing others.

I agree with that!

Another good question is what constitutes when you step over to the gay side. Two girls at spring break kissing for girls gone wild? Being involved in group sex? So much of its blurred.

Another good question is what constitutes when you step over to the gay side. Two girls at spring break kissing for girls gone wild? Being involved in group sex? So much of its blurred.

There need not be a black and white answer to the gay/not gay question.

There need not be a black and white answer to the gay/not gay question.

Barramundi. They start out as blokes and later become female.

What's my point?

Simply that gender and sexuality are more than the age-old dichotomy.

Humans are a species that, in purely physiological terms, are born (noting unfortunate exceptions in physiological terms) as either male or female but I think remember that even we have our hermaphroditic phase in the womb, starting off as female but then either confirming that or mutating into males. But we pretty much have gender identity at birth (as I said, with some exceptions).

It's normal for most Barramundi to change gender at maturity. The big ones are usually female, but they started out as males.

The "gay is a chosen lifestyle" mob are talking rubbish. We is what we is.

Yea I've heard that Hermaphroditic phase comment before. It's nonsense. The sex organs simply don't develop until late, early third trimester, of fetal development.

I don't beleve that sexual preference is a choice. Thought it can be, but most research has shown that sexual preference is a learned behavior. Keeping in mind that all sexual behavior is natural behavior.

Prob a choice for some and not a choice for others.. Take a man thats maybe a 5 on a range from 1(being flaming) and 10 being 100% not attracted to men. The man closer to the middle range probably can become physically attracted to both men and women. They can then chose what lifestyle to live.

Now take someone like me who's on the upper end of the spectrum it can never be a choice because its not physically (as in no way it would get up) possible.

This is a simple one to answer.

The religious riech wing needs to paint it as a "choice" for both legal and theological reasons.

If it's characterized as a simple lifestyle choice, it takes a lot of the wind out of the sails for establishing equal rights for gay people.

Also, the regligious right HAS to convince itself it's a choice. Otherwise, they are faced with the uncomfortable and unpalatable prospect that God made (some) people this way.

Yea I've heard that Hermaphroditic phase comment before. It's nonsense. The sex organs simply don't develop until late, early third trimester, of fetal development.

I don't beleve that sexual preference is a choice. Thought it can be, but most research has shown that sexual preference is a learned behavior. Keeping in mind that all sexual behavior is natural behavior.

Yes, sexual behaviour is instinctual and I see your point about preference (or expression) is learned. But before the "choice-ists" start up I think the varieties of sexual expression support the learned behaviour idea.

The religious riech wing needs to paint it as a "choice" for both legal and theological reasons.

If it's characterized as a simple lifestyle choice, it takes a lot of the wind out of the sails for establishing equal rights for gay people.

Also, the regligious right HAS to convince itself it's a choice. Otherwise, they are faced with the uncomfortable and unpalatable prospect that God made (some) people this way.

This is probably the reality of the situation for the religious right.
:clink:

Please tell me what rights homosexuals are denied.

Please tell me what rights homosexuals are denied.

They are denied the right to adopt.

They are denied the right to marriage.

They are denied dependant or codepandant status.

They are denied next of kin/spouse status.

They are denied workers compensaton and social security disability benefits for spouses/partners.

They can be denied visitation privelages to their spouse/partners in hospitals and institutions.

They are unable to make medical decisions for incapacitated spouses/partners.

Their spouses/partners are commonly denied insurance coverage by employers.

They are unable to file a civil suit on behalf of their spouse/partners.

They are denied joint property rights.

They can be compelled to testify against each other in a court of law.

Those are just a few examples of denying equal civil rights to gays.

They are denied workers compensaton and social security disability benefits for spouses/partners.

They can be denied visitation privelages to their spouse/partners in hospitals and institutions.

Well done.

You shouldn't have to waste your time teaching idiots who are incapable of their own research, but well done, anyway.

Good list. I was not aware they were denied joint property rights in some states.

Back