Girl files lawsuit in order to play high school baseball in Indiana

Socrtease

Verified User
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/highschool/11/24/indiana.lawsuit.ap/index.html

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Logan Young has been playing baseball with the boys for nine years, and she and her parents don't think that should change now that she's in high school.

The 14-year-old and her family have filed a federal lawsuit over an Indiana High School Athletic Association rule that prohibits the Bloomington South freshman from trying out for the high school baseball team because she is female.

"In this day and age, a girl should have the opportunity to participate on an equal footing with the boys in high school sports and the IHSAA precludes that," Tae Sture, one of the family's attorneys, said Monday.

"Our feeling is, quite frankly, there's no rational reason for it," he said.

An IHSAA rule prohibits girls from trying out for baseball if their school has a softball team on the basis that the sports are comparable. But the lawsuit filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Indianapolis argues that baseball and softball aren't the same sport, so girls should be able to try out for baseball.

The suit seeks to have the IHSAA rule thrown out based on the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and Title IX, the federal law that mandates equal educational opportunities for boys and girls.

The suit, filed by Logan and her parents, Marie-Elisabeth and Russell Young of Bloomington, names the IHSAA and the Monroe County Community school district as defendants.

Logan has played third base and outfield in coed community baseball leagues since age 5. She also plays volleyball and basketball.

Her family contacted the IHSAA in May to see whether Logan could participate in baseball during the 2008-09 season. Commissioner Blake Ress said she couldn't because Bloomington South has a softball team, the lawsuit said.

Ress said Monday he had not seen the lawsuit but that the girl's family and the school had not applied for a waiver from the rule.

"Last spring we had a girl from Wabash and gave her a waiver to allow her to play," Ress said. "Our intent was, if we had others, we would do that. This (lawsuit) is kind of out of the blue to me."

The high school, which has a female kicker on its football team, supports Logan's desire to play and is seeking a waiver so she can try out for baseball, said Bloomington South athletic director J.R. Holmes.

But the lawsuit argues that a waiver -- which requires showing extreme hardship -- shouldn't be necessary.

"Softball and baseball are not the same sport, so she has the right to try out," said Sharon F. McKee, the lead attorney in the case. Under current rules, a boy wanting to play softball also would have to seek a waiver, she said.

Precedent may be on Logan's side, according to McKee. The West Virginia Supreme Court ruled in a similar case in 1989 that baseball and softball are not substantially equal sports, she said, and 24 state athletic associations already allow girls to choose between softball and baseball.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Is your dog a wuss to come it sure looks the type.

I hate Border Collies

The Woosies here are the male coaches on the BBall team that are trying to protect their boys from being showed up by a girl.

Border collies, like all working dogs, are cool.

A quick question... if her high school only had womens volleyball and not mens, would this girl support guys trying out for the volleyball team?

edit (for the mentally retarded who have to be addressed directly in order to comprehend that they are also being asked this question)... would YOU support a guy who wanted to play volleyball?

Last edited:
A quick question... if her high school only had womens volleyball and not mens, would this girl support guys trying out for the volleyball team?

Now you're trying to make her look like a hypocrite for no reason at all except your own sexism.

I would hope so. If the word 'equality' is used, it should mean what it is. I am aware of much that women and minorities have had to deal with, but I feel that unless real egalitarianism is in play all these kinds of suits do is make one group feel entitled and another group alienated.

That being said, the girl in question should be of similar caliber and ability as the boys in the baseball team, and in the same respect, the imaginary boy-who-wants-to-play-volleyball must be of similar size and ability.

Now you're trying to make her look like a hypocrite for no reason at all except your own sexism.

It is not 'sexism' you twit. I asked a friggin question. How would it be any different if a guy who played volleyball, but whose high school didn't have a mens team... wanted to play? The only thing 'sexist' about anyone's comments is your post above. Because to you, its okay for a woman to request to play on a guys team, but it is not okay for a guy to request to play on a womans team. Why is that?

I would hope so. If the word 'equality' is used, it should mean what it is. I am aware of much that women and minorities have had to deal with, but I feel that unless real egalitarianism is in play all these kinds of suits do is make one group feel entitled and another group alienated.

That being said, the girl in question should be of similar caliber and ability as the boys in the baseball team, and in the same respect, the imaginary boy-who-wants-to-play-volleyball must be of similar size and ability.

Obviously, the talent level and not the gender of both should dictate whether or not they make the team.

How is your membership application in the oppressed white male whiner club coming along SF? I bet this post will be a big plus?

How is your membership application in the oppressed white male whiner club coming along SF? I bet this post will be a big plus?

Why are you liberals so offended by a friggin question?

Rather than answer the question honestly, you attempt these pitiful attacks on me. Very curious.

Rather than answer the question honestly, you attempt these pitiful attacks on me. Very curious.

You know what really pisses me of? Black news! Or what about black history month!

What about whites? How come we don't have a white history month, huh?

You know what really pisses me of? Black news! Or what about black history month!

What about whites? How come we don't have a white history month, huh?

So now you attempt to create a strawman?

Personally, I do not believe we should limit black history to just one month, it should rather be incorporated throughout the year. But no, you liberals have to hold them back and just 'give them a token month' so as to maintain your white history for the other eleven.

:rolleyes:

Is the girl that filed the lawsuit here to answer your stupid fucking question? It was directed at her wasn't it? Or was it directed at the posters here who were supposed to divine whether she supported guys trying out for the volleyball team?

Dipshit.

In any event, rather than posting hypotheticals about what the girl that filed this lawsuit thinks about a guy that may try out for the girls' volleyball team in the event that the school doesn't have a guys' team, why don't you post your opinion about whether she should be permitted to try out for baseball. Maybe then some of the liberals will answer your question and will even pretend that the question asks for their opinion (as opposed to the opinion of the girl).

Is the girl that filed the lawsuit here to answer your stupid fucking question? It was directed at her wasn't it? Or was it directed at the posters here who were supposed to divine whether she supported guys trying out for the volleyball team?

Dipshit.

In any event, rather than posting hypotheticals about what the girl that filed this lawsuit thinks about a guy that may try out for the girls' volleyball team in the event that the school doesn't have a guys' team, why don't you post your opinion about whether she should be permitted to try out for baseball. Maybe then some of the liberals will answer your question and will even pretend that the question asks for their opinion (as opposed to the opinion of the girl).

I am so sorry dumbshit... I made the mistake in assuming you were smart enough to realize that she wasn't here to answer the question directly. I should add... would you support a guy in such a case?

As for my position, I think if she is skilled enough to play, the school should do exactly as it is doing... it should request a waiver for her just as it did for the female football player. I think her lawsuit is unneccesary.

Dipshit.

Oh! Skewered again SF!

Exactly.

Now we're getting somewhere.

And others say you're too dumb to learn. It's all in the teacher!

Since you, like Dung, are too ignorant to address the point without it being directed to you specifically....

Would you support a guy who wanted to play volleyball doing so in the same manner?

Back