Girl files lawsuit in order to play high school baseball in Indiana

Why is this even a question? And why should she need a waiver that another player wouldn't simply because of biology? What if it was a pencil neck who just happened to be able to hit, although he is fragile in every other way? Would they require a "waiver"?

The only question asked should be, "Is she good enough to play?" Any other question is just a waste of time.

I agree that she should be able to play. The coach obviously wants her to play given his filing a waiver request. But the lawsuit is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with having a procedure like this.

Yes, her gender should require the waiver to play on a team designed under title nine for boys.

If you want the best athletes to play and not have to use a waiver request for exemptions to title nine, then fine... eliminate title nine.

Again, if a guy wanted to play womens volleyball because his school did not have a mens team, would you feel the same way? My guess is there would be a quick revolt if a guy tried to do this. Have a set procedure. There is nothing wrong with having them to follow.

I agree that she should be able to play. The coach obviously wants her to play given his filing a waiver request. But the lawsuit is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with having a procedure like this.

Yes, her gender should require the waiver to play on a team designed under title nine for boys.

If you want the best athletes to play and not have to use a waiver request for exemptions to title nine, then fine... eliminate title nine.

Again, if a guy wanted to play womens volleyball because his school did not have a mens team, would you feel the same way? My guess is there would be a quick revolt if a guy tried to do this. Have a set procedure. There is nothing wrong with having them to follow.
Duh. It shouldn't matter. If you are only going to have one team it should just be "the volleyball team", not "the women's volleyball team". Now, had they two teams, a women's and a men's team, this may make more sense.

Duh. It shouldn't matter. If you are only going to have one team it should just be "the volleyball team", not "the women's volleyball team". Now, had they two teams, a women's and a men's team, this may make more sense.

again, with title nine you do not have that option. Genetics suggests that you would end up with more women losing positions to men than the other way around.

again, with title nine you do not have that option. Genetics suggests that you would end up with more women losing positions to men than the other way around.
And it would then be "the volleyball team". Such a shame. What makes you think I'm here to defend the "perfection" of title 9?

Some things make no sense and are contrary to their own goal. The government says, "Let her play softball", the coach says, "This is stupid and costly."

And it would then be "the volleyball team". Such a shame. What makes you think I'm here to defend the "perfection" of title 9?

Some things make no sense and are contrary to their own goal. The government says, "Let her play softball", the coach says, "This is stupid and costly."

I am not suggesting that you are defending title nine. I am simply stating that what you are suggesting is not possible BECAUSE of title nine.

Because there is a law I cannot express my opinion without being harangued about how impossible it is?

Seriously.

My answer was, "Yes, if there is only one team it should be 'The Volleyball Team' not 'The Men's or Women's Volleyball Team'."

Therefore, I stated that if it were reversed then the boys should be able to try out for the team. I was answering your question directly in the affirmative then elaborating.

I believe that in most cases, in 2008, a coach will play the 9 best players on a highschool baseball team and would do whatever was necessary to get the best 9 regardless of genitalia. We really need to reaccess title IX if it is slowing the process of getting qualified girls on ANY team where they can make a contribution. That being said, at the level of highschool sports, kids are at a place where being able to play on a team can mean getting a ride at a college. There should be no "everybody plays" or any of that bullshit. I hate the fact that the 8-9 year old baseball league gives everyone trophies. Fuck that, trophies are for winners, not participation.

I believe that in most cases, in 2008, a coach will play the 9 best players on a highschool baseball team and would do whatever was necessary to get the best 9 regardless of genitalia. We really need to reaccess title IX if it is slowing the process of getting qualified girls on ANY team where they can make a contribution. That being said, at the level of highschool sports, kids are at a place where being able to play on a team can mean getting a ride at a college. There should be no "everybody plays" or any of that bullshit. I hate the fact that the 8-9 year old baseball league gives everyone trophies. Fuck that, trophies are for winners, not participation.

I think that in most cases, that is indeed what a coach would like to do. I agree that the whole philosophy of "everyone is a winner" is bullshit. Winning and losing can both aide in building character.

I believe that in most cases, in 2008, a coach will play the 9 best players on a highschool baseball team and would do whatever was necessary to get the best 9 regardless of genitalia. ......
You've never been around most coaches or ADs then, because winning, although important, is secondary. I've seen coaches bench one of their best players because they disliked the kid's dad. I've seen a male coach of a girl's high school team refuse volunteer help from a female national champion of that sport. I've seen a college hold a woman's NCAA Final Four event on a practice field when the football stadium was unused.

Back