God

The Bible is flawless and there are no mistakes but God doesn’t make everything clear because we are not supposed to read it as a historical document.

People looking for mistakes or contradictions are missing the points God is trying to get across.

There could be 10 different creation stories and it wouldn’t matter because it’s not the story that matters but rather it’s the fact that God created everything

Do you believe the Bible was created along with Eve or do you think it was assembled from hundreds of books in the 4th Century by a bunch of old white guys in İznik, Turkey to push a particular message?

No. We are discussing the statement: God exists.

I fail to see what universality has to do with this.

No, we are discussing the claim "There is no God". That is a universal negative claim. By definition. In order to assess the truth of the claim one would have to be able to experience the entirety of the universe all at one point in time. In other words if I fail to see evidence for God it could just be that I have not seen everything in the universe and that indeed evidence DOES exist.

No, I am quite serious. You simply do not understand logic. Logical impossibility has nothing to do with empirically performable.

I have now provided you with multiple citations and links to prove that it DOES indeed have its roots in logic. Specifically FORMAL LOGIC. The syllogisms have been shown you now multiple times.

If you wish to assume that this has nothing to do with logic you will have to take it up with logicians who seem to disagree with you.

I have now provided you with multiple citations and links to prove that it DOES indeed have its roots in logic. Specifically FORMAL LOGIC. The syllogisms have been shown you now multiple times.

If you wish to assume that this has nothing to do with logic you will have to take it up with logicians who seem to disagree with you.

You are confusing logic with empirical demonstration. If you want to end on that, fine with me.

Modal analysis.

It is possible God exists.

It is possible God does not exist.

At that level, the agnostic seems to get a foothold.
But possibility does not entail existence or actuality.

So we have to ask, what God. Zeus? Poseidon? Shiva? Jesus? Old Testament God?
Now we have to define God by properties.

Modal analysis.

It is possible God exists.

It is possible God does not exist.

At that level, the agnostic seems to get a foothold.
But possibility does not entail existence or actuality.

So we have to ask, what God. Zeus? Poseidon? Shiva? Jesus? Old Testament God?
Now we have to define God by properties.

Or we could consider Aristotle's concept of God which is not a person or being but the principle of intelligence.

You are confusing logic with empirical demonstration. If you want to end on that, fine with me.

You have now been shown several logic references that say you are incorrect. You are no longer arguing with me but with logicians.

If you think professional logicians are wrong about logic and you are right that is something that I am unable to help with.

You have now been shown several logic references that say you are incorrect. You are no longer arguing with me but with logicians.

If you think professional logicians are wrong about logic and you are right that is something that I am unable to help with.

Ok, we are done.

Wrong.

You need to read Huxley.

That life is meaningless?

I had motive for not wanting the world to have a meaning; consequently assumed that it had none, and was able without any difficulty to find satisfying reasons for this assumption. The philosopher who finds no meaning in the world is not concerned exclusively with a problem in pure metaphysics, he is also concerned to prove that there is no valid reason why he personally should not do as he wants to do, or why his friends should not seize political power and govern in the way that they find most advantageous to themselves. . . . For myself, the philosophy of meaninglessness was essentially an instrument of liberation, sexual and political.

I was surprised to learn that Huxley, Christian C.S. Lewis and JFK all died on November 22, 1963.

Fair enough. When you are ready you should definitely check out the links I provided. Or a logic text.

Thanks, though. It was an interesting discussion.

I assure you I know more about logic than you. Neophytes like yourself confuse your elementary understanding with mastery.

Back