Gone Fishing Part Two: The quest for Moby Perch.

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
On the road to Northern Wisconsin to go fishing. Just stopped at Jollibee’s in Chicago. Way out of the way for fast food but The Misses is happier than a hog in a field of acorns.

Good luck! I thought about going up to Chattanooga to go after some big catfish. But I'm hanging close to home and having fun in town.

My goal is to go to Meteor Crater in Arizona. Can't walk to the bottom, but can walk around the rim (a 150' of dirt from the crater).

On the road to Northern Wisconsin to go fishing. Just stopped at Jollibee’s in Chicago. Way out of the way for fast food but The Misses is happier than a hog in a field of acorns.

Good luck and kick bass! Hope you're staying in an air conditioned place -- it's hot and muggy up here! Where do you fish there?

My goal is to go to Meteor Crater in Arizona. Can't walk to the bottom, but can walk around the rim (a 150' of dirt from the crater).

You don't really realize how deep that crater is, until you notice the itty bitty building at the bottom.

You don't really realize how deep that crater is, until you notice the itty bitty building at the bottom.

Thanks. Pictures never give you the proportion and scale of things. So far, the only thing I know about it is that when you see it from a distance, you think it's just a hill line. It's on private property. And you can't walk to the bottom anymore. I think the 'itty bitty building' is some kind of mining shack they used to dig down and find the meteor, which I'm guessing is in the 'Gift Shop'.

Sounds like you've been there? Talk to me. Give me a heads up. How much to get in? Can you walk the rim by yourself or is it some kind of group tour walk? Camping on-site? What was your main take-away? I'm guessing summer is a bad time to go?

I have this image of you running into my best friend up there at the same fishing spot. He is a jerk, an engineer, highly opinionated about everything, and thinks highly of himself (we met in preschool, which is why this friendship still works). The meeting of your two egos would likely scare all of the fish away.

Thanks. Pictures never give you the proportion and scale of things. So far, the only thing I know about it is that when you see it from a distance, you think it's just a hill line. It's on private property. And you can't walk to the bottom anymore. I think the 'itty bitty building' is some kind of mining shack they used to dig down and find the meteor, which I'm guessing is in the 'Gift Shop'.

Sounds like you've been there? Talk to me. Give me a heads up. How much to get in? Can you walk the rim by yourself or is it some kind of group tour walk? Camping on-site? What was your main take-away? I'm guessing summer is a bad time to go?

It's been years ago, since I was there.
The shack covers where they've been digging into the bottom of the crater.

As far as I know, you can't walk the rim;; because it's to dangerous.

I saw no camping facilities; but I think there were hookups for travel trailers.

Summer depends on how much heat you can stand :D; but Flagstaff is a higher elevation then Phoenix, so it's cooler.

It's been years ago, since I was there.
The shack covers where they've been digging into the bottom of the crater.

As far as I know, you can't walk the rim;; because it's to dangerous.

I saw no camping facilities; but I think there were hookups for travel trailers.

Summer depends on how much heat you can stand :D; but Flagstaff is a higher elevation then Phoenix, so it's cooler.

Thanks, Free. It sounds like an interesting 'Day Trip' on a planned Road Trip. I was thinking more like 'Summer crowds' vs. 'Fall/Spring less crowds' rather than the heat, but I guess that would be a consideration as well. I have a friend that says Phoenix is a 'Hellhole' in the summer (his parents lived in Mesa). You mentioned Flagstaff, that always reminded me of a staging site for people going to the Grand Canyon. You seem familiar with the area, what is your thoughts on Tucson? Any reason I should spend a day there? (for some reason I'm thinking OK Corral and the big shootout).

I have this image of you running into my best friend up there at the same fishing spot. He is a jerk, an engineer, highly opinionated about everything, and thinks highly of himself (we met in preschool, which is why this friendship still works). The meeting of your two egos would likely scare all of the fish away.

I'll keep an ear out this afternoon for a matter-antimatter KABOOM from the south. lol

Thanks, Free. It sounds like an interesting 'Day Trip' on a planned Road Trip. I was thinking more like 'Summer crowds' vs. 'Fall/Spring less crowds' rather than the heat, but I guess that would be a consideration as well. I have a friend that says Phoenix is a 'Hellhole' in the summer (his parents lived in Mesa). You mentioned Flagstaff, that always reminded me of a staging site for people going to the Grand Canyon. You seem familiar with the area, what is your thoughts on Tucson? Any reason I should spend a day there? (for some reason I'm thinking OK Corral and the big shootout).

Tucson has some great places to visit; but it's just as hot as Phoenix.
Same as Yuma.

They've got some older places you can tour and it just depends on what you want to do.

I recommend trying the Mexican food; but stay away from the chains and go for the little hole in wall family run restaurants, in both Tucson or Phoenix.

Tucson has some great places to visit; but it's just as hot as Phoenix.
Same as Yuma.

They've got some older places you can tour and it just depends on what you want to do.

I recommend trying the Mexican food; but stay away from the chains and go for the little hole in wall family run restaurants, in both Tucson or Phoenix.

Thanks, Free.
I always like getting advice and tips from people that have already been, that way I can avoid the pitfalls and just focus on what is most interesting.

OK, trying to return the favor. Death Valley in August. A Must Do. 118 degrees in the shade. You'll instantly begin to sweat as you depart your air-conditioned car. I took the kids there years ago just for the experience. Badwater, 282 feet BELOW sea level, (you have to have bragging rights that you've been to the lowest spot in America), has a 'mirage'. My son said, "Look, water". I chuckled inconspicuously and said, "Hey, go check it out". He wandered off into the desert while me and the 12 year old headed back to the car, the air-conditioned car. About 10-15 minutes later he's dragging back with a disappointing look on his face. hahahahaha ... Priceless! (there's a line of footsteps into the desert towards the mirage ... and a line of footsteps back to the Parking Area from the mirage, as others engaged in the 'Search for Water' adventure. Stovepipe Wells has an interesting story, with it's name giving away the tale. They have little green spots now and again. We saw one way down in a valley and hiked down there ... only to discover ... a fucking picnic table. hahahahaha ... we thought we were way off the beaten track, only to find ... accommodations ... by the Park Service. The one cool and interesting thing (other than the picnic table) was this 'tree'. I call it a Salt Tree, it looked like it had these 'salt pods' hanging down, looking like they were encrusted with salt. The kids had fun, I had fun, it's a nice 'Day Adventure'.
Oh, PS: Make sure you have gas. You'd be amazed at how few gas stations there are in the middle of nowhere. And the one we did find before entering the Park was a bit pricey, oaky, it was actually expensive.

OK, Free. Tip for Tip. Now we're even. :)

Have a safe trip, Mott!
If you catch too much, just let me know;)
Unfortunately the quest for Moby Perch has been thwarted. The fish are deep and not hitting. I’ve tried about everything. Shallows, points, bays, structures, holes, trolling. sitting on top of schools, trying to pick of individuals, trolling, spinners, cranks, jerk baits, plastics and assorted jigs. Nothing. Not a single fish in nearly two days.

Unfortunately the quest for Moby Perch has been thwarted. The fish are deep and not hitting. I’ve tried about everything. Shallows, points, bays, structures, holes, trolling. sitting on top of schools, trying to pick of individuals, trolling, spinners, cranks, jerk baits, plastics and assorted jigs. Nothing. Not a single fish in nearly two days.
Head to the Lake...and book a trip with Captain Bob:) Of course, that was a while ago...
I really could use some walleye, though..
Sorry the fish weren't biting...sure you still had fun...Safe trip home;)

Are you having the heat wave we are here? It’s close to 90 deg F here.

We did, but the weather switched for a bit and today was seasonably pleasant. Yesterday was stormy and very very humid. It has been running 15-20 degrees F above normal the last week... and humid as well. Worse for you because you're inland; we manage to survive by being close to Superior (<1/2 mile). Current surface water temps in our locale are ~45F. You guys aren't expected to cool off till next weekend. :~( How long are you staying? How's the fishing?

Back