Good time to implement universal healthcare?

Unions are and will always be necessary if you want a society to have a decent blaence of power.

Treat your employees right and they wont want to unionize.

And if you treat your employees right and they don't unionize, does that lead to the imbalance we have now between the big 3 and the other auto manufacturers in the US?

Promises made to retirees is the main problem.
Just cut the old farts off and show america how much corporations can be trusted.

If they cut em off I am in for boycotting GM.

you can cut them off if you can put them into a pool of healthcare like the VA hospital or something.

THE TRAGEDY OF THE AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY:A Play in Three Acts

Dramatis Personae

BIG THREE, a manufacturer of automobiles
UAW, Big Three’s employee
CHAPDOG, Mitt's Boy

ACT ONE

BIG THREE: I have plans to build automobiles, but I need labor to do so!

UAW: I will labor for you if you will pay me $40 per hour.

BIG THREE: I will not pay you $40 per hour.

UAW: But I need to save for my inevitible retirement, and any health concerns that may arise.

BIG THREE: I will pay you $30 per hour, plus a generous pension of guaranteed payments and health care upon your retirement.

UAW: Then I agree to work for you!

ACT TWO

UAW: I am building cars for you, as I have promised to do!

BIG THREE: I am designing terrible cars that few people want to buy! Also, rather than save for UAW’s inevitible retirement when I will have to pay him the generous pension of guaranteed payments and health care that I promised, I am spending that money under the dubious assumption that my future revenues will be sufficient to meet those obligations.

ACT THREE

UAW: I have fulfilled my end of the deal by building the automobiles that you have asked me to build.

BIG THREE: Oh no! I am undone! My automobiles are no longer competitive due to my years of poor planning and poor judgment!

CHAPDOG: This is all UAW’s fault!

http://www.balloon-juice.com/?p=14260

you could pay for the single payer healthcare by regulation ghanja and collecting about 14 billion in taxes on it.

The union healthcare costs are not why GM can't compete. The foriegn car makers have become domestic car makers. The ones doing in GM are mostly made in the USA. Those workers have health benefits. At least they do in the plants in Alabama. Surely the rest of the nation is more forward thinking than we are.

Current worker vs. current worker... you are correct. The employees are paid essentially the same.

But as Chap said, with Ford and GM you are paying for three retirees for each current worker. That is something Toyota doesn't have to deal with.

While those costs are certainly a part of the cost discrepancy, the bulk of the difference is in that Toyota and Honda think long term means.... plan for the next decade. Ford and GM think long term means... plan for the next three months until we report again.

you can cut them off if you can put them into a pool of healthcare like the VA hospital or something.

I made a similar argument a week or so ago. But Dung pointed out to me that the Union has already agreed to take over the pension and health benes for retirees starting in 2010 (I could be off on the year, but it is fairly soon)

you could pay for the single payer healthcare by regulation ghanja and collecting about 14 billion in taxes on it.

you could also help pay for it by drilling our own reserves in oil and nat gas and not shipping $700 billion a year to other countires.

That said... I do agree that pot should be legalized and taxed/regulated like alcohol.

We can't afford this crap. If you are in a mess because of credit, buying everything on credit won't get you out of it, even if it is Keynesian.

you could also help pay for it by drilling our own reserves in oil and nat gas and not shipping $700 billion a year to other countires.

That said... I do agree that pot should be legalized and taxed/regulated like alcohol.
Tax Tithes. You'd make a mint.

Democrats like to talk jobs, one place they couldn't be more wrong is on oil. Like freak pointed out 700bl going oversees. That would be thousands of jobs at over $100,000 annually.

They cause nothing but trouble. We have well established legislative branches now that can make the laws that protect people as opposed to needing unions to do it.

What law will change the fact that when a woman joins a union, she immediately has a better chance of having health insurance than a woman who went to a four year college?

What law will change that when a woman enters a union she adds as much to her wages as a woman who attended some college?

why should some jobs have unions and other not. Why do factory workers have set raises regardless of performance and free health care in retirement but type setters in a professional company dont?

50% of the blame can easily be pinned on the UAW.

What law will change the fact that when a woman joins a union, she immediately has a better chance of having health insurance than a woman who went to a four year college?

What law will change that when a woman enters a union she adds as much to her wages as a woman who attended some college?

I dont think its right that someone man or woman with a GED does better then someone with a 4 year college degree because of a union.

why should some jobs have unions and other not. Why do factory workers have set raises regardless of performance and free health care in retirement but type setters in a professional company dont?

50% of the blame can easily be pinned on the UAW.

Some workers unionize, some don't. Who's fault is that? The unionized people that prefer to collectively bargain for increased wages and benefits?

And the idea that the UAW is 50% to blame is nonsense. Management runs the business. If the UAW had 50% representation on the board of directors maybe you'd have a point, but they don't.

I dont think its right that someone man or woman with a GED does better then someone with a 4 year college degree because of a union.

Well, the cost of college has risen 497% since 1982 and it's still going up. So if you believe that anyone who doesn't go to college shouldn't be entitled to a decent living, then you are going to, through elitism, send this country into the same state as a third world stink hole, because in case you haven't noticed, we are quickly becoming a country whose middle class cannot afford to send its children to college.

Back