Goodwill Stores Reflect on One of America's Biggest Issues, Pay Equality

Anytime you're dealing in thrift, the pay can't be good. Even the CEO pay is going to fall well below retail and wholesale pay.

You clearly missed the point.

This is about pay equality. It is it's own story but represents lots of stories in America today. Top executives making multiple millions and having to lay off workers because they can't afford to keep them on. Part of America wonders how many workers they could keep if that executive let go of just one of those million. Other Americans would call that punishment to the executive. Just ignorance. There is a reason corporations are making all time high profits and workers wages are at an all time low............the top is being too greedy. It's happened before and the people had to Unionize. It will probably have to happen again.

I agree, the wage gap is getting worse and worse in this country.

Raising the minimum wage won't do a lot to narrow the gap, but it's a start.

But the stockholders need to hold the corporations' feet to the fire and get them to stop paying the CEO (and other high paid managers) so much.

You clearly missed the point.

This is about pay equality. It is it's own story but represents lots of stories in America today. Top executives making multiple millions and having to lay off workers because they can't afford to keep them on. Part of America wonders how many workers they could keep if that executive let go of just one of those million. Other Americans would call that punishment to the executive. Just ignorance. There is a reason corporations are making all time high profits and workers wages are at an all time low............the top is being too greedy. It's happened before and the people had to Unionize. It will probably have to happen again.

Probably because even if the CEO dropped $1,000,000 from his salary it wouldn't make much of a difference and he'd STILL have to fire people. A lot of them.

But the stockholders need to hold the corporations' feet to the fire and get them to stop paying the CEO (and other high paid managers) so much.

Why? Why shouldn't they be paid so much?

Why? Why shouldn't they be paid so much?

Because various studies have shown that CEO's just aren't that good - there are highly paid ones whose company goes down in flames, there are those who make less that do just fine.

It isn't pay for performance.

It's a lot of rich people paying each other off.

That money should go to employees or to stockholders.

Are the handicapped forced to work for GoodWill?

I've been trying to come up with a reply to this that's not all trolling but can't.

No, the handicapped are not forced to work.

What Goodwill offers the mentally and physically handicapped, as well as the recently incarcerated, is the chance to gain some self-respect and independence. That's commendable.

Walk a mile in their shoes, bro.

I *believe* the 22 cent per hour wages being talked about are what the company pays after government and state credits.

Given the fact that Goodwill is non profit, the CEO pay seems a bit high.

Now I'll troll. WTF is with you conservatives? You bitch when the poor and disabled don't work and then bitch when they do.

Why don't you get off your collective rich asses and find work for the poor and disabled like Goodwill does?

Now I'll troll. WTF is with you conservatives? You bitch when the poor and disabled don't work and then bitch when they do.

Why don't you get off your collective rich asses and find work for the poor and disabled like Goodwill does?

Oh! Is Anti-Party a “conservative?” You coulda fooled me!!! His fucking stupid rhetoric is a loony left as yours Goober.

Fucking troll!!!!

Raising minimum wage isn't the answer because Americans are willing to work for less. But the "Anti-Outsourcing" bill of 2010 voted down by republicans would have worked. Raising minimum wage causes the greedy rich to outsource more and cut back on their biggest expense, employees.

Probably because even if the CEO dropped $1,000,000 from his salary it wouldn't make much of a difference and he'd STILL have to fire people. A lot of them.

Well if you have to fire one you may as well fire "a lot of them" (R)ight? And you wonder why there are so many on welfare in the country....basics.

Because various studies have shown that CEO's just aren't that good - there are highly paid ones whose company goes down in flames, there are those who make less that do just fine.

It isn't pay for performance.

It's a lot of rich people paying each other off.

That money should go to employees or to stockholders.

Awesome post.

Even Romney told Americans the WORKERS were the ones that made Corporations successful, not CEO's. Of course that was before he was paid to change his mind..

Are the handicapped forced to work for GoodWill?

In the depression there were hundreds of people who would line up to work for a days work for a penny or two and only a few were selected, while the rich lived lavish lifestyles. Where the poor forced to work for those pennies?

History kid....history.

I respect that they hire the disabled. But equality is an issue and they should get paid at least minimum wage, otherwise it's just a loophole for slavery.

Oh! Is Anti-Party a “conservative?” You coulda fooled me!!! His fucking stupid rhetoric is a loony left as yours Goober.

You dislike me because I disprove you.

I learn SLIGHTLY Right. But the right is out of control and I like to fight for what they actually stand for. Not what Fox News stands for.

If you could debate me you would. Since you can't, you resort to choice words like "his fucking stupid" and "goober". Very mature and nothing at all what a raging loser would say....:good4u:

I respect that they hire the disabled. But equality is an issue and they should get paid at least minimum wage, otherwise it's just a loophole for slavery.

In general I agree with you. But servers - tipped employees - also can be paid less than minimum wage. So it's not just the disabled.

I think if people knew charities were paying people just a few dollars an hour, it might affect their donations to those charities.

Back