Got Pets?

I loved that bastard. Somewhere, I have some old pix of him and I. Everyone else hated him. When he died of old age, they buried him with his feet sticking out of the ground, with a denigrating poem above his grave.

Hope you can find and post that picture. What a great story.... was his name Lazarus by any chance? lol

Yep...earlier in the thread I discussed my cat who was also lucky with an owl attack.

Wow, see I had no idea that cat was on an Owl's menu.....The barn owls and horned owls I have seen just look robust enough to over power my little Yasha!

Wow, see I had no idea that cat was on an Owl's menu.....The barn owls and horned owls I have seen just look robust enough to over power my little Yasha!

Great horned owls will often take skunks which are also nocturnal. When I volunteered for a raptor rehab center when we lived in STL, we sometimes had someone who would bring in an injured GHO, gagging all the way because it would smell like skunk spray. lol

Great horned owls will often take skunks which are also nocturnal. When I volunteered for a raptor rehab center when we lived in STL, we sometimes had someone who would bring in an injured GHO, gagging all the way because it would smell like skunk spray. lol

Wow. Owls are so cool. Probably my favorite raptor....likely because I am a Harry Potter geek, and I love Hedwig, the snowy white!

Osprey are cool too. I mean, the world of raptors is fascinating, is it not?

For three years I had a Mollucan 'too. He had been a gift to a boy for his Bar Mitzvah when he turned 13. The kid named him "Tooie." The kid grew up and got a girl friend in his 20s. Tooie hated the competition and took a huge chunk out of her ear. Tooie ended up in a rescue where I found him. He hated me too at first but that's okay, that's how it is with birds sometimes. Then Tooie loved me. A lot. Tooie was also a genius at escape. I wondered why the cage that he came with had wire twisted all over it in various places. I found out why one evening when I was at work. Daughter called me to say that the house was in shambles, part of the electricity was out, and Tooie was in his cage reading the Bible -- but was a prime suspect. This photo is just a small sampling of the damage he did in his rampage. Not shown: Half the circuits in the house shorted out because he chewed through an extension cord powering the heat pad for the ball python's habitat. Power cord chewed for the stereo system in the family room. Mail on kitchen island shredded. Thankfully he didn't make it to my computer on another island!

h2VhFEV.jpg

When I met my husband Tooie decided that he must die. He would silently slide his claws across the darkened kitchen floor, slip like a peach-and-white ghost into the family room, and steathily climb the couch till he was behind us. Then he would STRIKE!

It about killed me to send him away, but in the end it probably is okay. Tooie now lives in a sanctuary in a huge outdoor aviary in Oregon, with dozens of his people. Cockatoos are super needy love sponges, beautiful, emotional, endlessly entertaining, and one of the planet's most intelligent creatures.... so they suck at being pets. Tooie barbered his own feathers and body when he was rejected by his first love in favor of the young man's gf. Plucking and self-destruction is sadly a common problem with captive avians.

"When I met my husband Tooie decided that he must die." I just howled at that visual. You have a real way with words!

Wow. Owls are so cool. Probably my favorite raptor....likely because I am a Harry Potter geek, and I love Hedwig, the snowy white!

They are really awesome creatures, consummate hunters, not a lot in the smarts department but excellent at what they have evolved to do. Raptor centers have pretty good success raising raptor fledgings and releasing them to the wild. They do receive some teaching from their parents but they run far more on instinct than do the children of other avian species, like parrots for example. We would wear "ghost" masks to feed them so that they wouldn't come to associate humans with food rewards. When they were old enough they would be fostered with resident owls of their same species and fed prey that looks similar to what they would find in that niche. I was there for three years and learned a lot about them.

While it's not actually a pet, it is kind of my baby.
peony tree.jpg
A picture of it's first flower, from a few years back.

I'm a fan too. I've got quite a few eagles that ice fish with me. This guy showed up one day while I was loading tools on my truck before leaving for a job. He seemed to be trying to convince me that fishing would be a much better idea.

Of course...he was right

12314132_1118201641524548_6721936629916401980_n (1).jpg

I'm a fan too. I've got quite a few eagles that ice fish with me. This guy showed up one day while I was loading tools on my truck before leaving for a job. He seemed to be trying to convince me that fishing would be a much better idea.

Of course...he was right

View attachment 5661

Oh man, the bald eagle is a classic. What a bird! Thanks for the pic!

What is that, Jade? It's gorgeous. Love the foliage too.

It's a peony tree. It will be a big bush with oodles of flowers eventually. They aren't cheap, and that young one cost me about $53 a few years ago. As of last summer it had 3 big flowers.

Oh man, the bald eagle is a classic. What a bird! Thanks for the pic!
Been feeding them for decades. Still gives me a rush. I put this pic somewhere here recently...The one with my sled shows him/her as he/she takes a pass looking to see if I've left anything on the ice for them. Second one is self explanatory

.DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

It's a peony tree. It will be a big bush with oodles of flowers eventually. They aren't cheap, and that young one cost me about $53 a few years ago. As of last summer it had 3 big flowers.
Peony tree? I've got plenty of peonies, but does that get tall?

Back