Got Pets?

Peony tree? I've got plenty of peonies, but does that get tall?
Just googled it. Interesting. Like hydrangeas, they bloom on old wood, so you don't cut them back. I'm guessing when really bad winters shock the old wood, they don't get many flowers.

Pittsburgh Audobon Society has a bald eagle cam set up in a local tree that live streams the birds' activities. We can watch from the time they return to the nest until their babies fledge.
It's getting to be around that time again and I'm looking forward to it.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/12/01/new-camera-being-installed-at-the-hays-eagle-nest/
Yep...these cams are cool. I've seen Osprey cams too. Funny...the female complains to the male, and he has to go fishing again.

Not pets per se...but I was surprised to see a family of grey foxes living under one of my buildings several years ago. I got some leftover chicken, and coaxed these kits out for a 20 minute photo shoot. They were afraid, but they really wanted that chicken.

At first...this guy was pretty wary.

fox 1.jpg

Then....he couldn't resist the treat.

fox 2.jpg

Pretty soon, his siblings got involved

fox 3.jpg

Continued below

Attachments

• fox 4.jpg
    fox 4.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2
  • fox 5.jpg
    fox 5.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3
System is wonky this a.m....having trouble placing pix.

The runt finally showed up, and boy was she a ham!

fox 6.jpg

It's a peony tree. It will be a big bush with oodles of flowers eventually. They aren't cheap, and that young one cost me about $53 a few years ago. As of last summer it had 3 big flowers.

Is it hardy in your area? We have a couple peonies on the west side of the house, but last fall the deer ate them down to the ground. Don't know if they'll come back in the summer. :(

Is it hardy in your area? We have a couple peonies on the west side of the house, but last fall the deer ate them down to the ground. Don't know if they'll come back in the summer. :(
Definitely will. You can dig the tubers in the fall, and split them. Deer don't seem to bother the peonies around here.

This photo illustrates one of my favorite dog breeds, and also serves as a metaphor for how I feel this morning before my coffee is ready.
6402fa88948c4fe9602062af0360d52b.jpg

If they are the non tree variety, or a young bush, it should come back.

This photo illustrates one of my favorite dog breeds, and also serves as a metaphor for how I feel this morning before my coffee is ready.
6402fa88948c4fe9602062af0360d52b.jpg
If I ever get another dog, it will be a husky/husky dominant mix.

They make great ice fishing companions. I had one years ago, that would go out to the bathroom at 4 a.m, as I put my ice fishing clothing on. She knew that I was going fishing, so she refused to come back into the house, fearing I would leave her behind.

What was she thinking? She's my fishing partner!

If I ever get another dog, it will be a husky/husky dominant mix.

They make great ice fishing companions. I had one years ago, that would go out to the bathroom at 4 a.m, as I put my ice fishing clothing on. She knew that I was going fishing, so she refused to come back into the house, fearing I would leave her behind.

What was she thinking? She's my fishing partner!

Love huskies and malamutes.

The loyalty and companionship of a dog is one of the sublime and magical novelties of life on this earth.

I never know what my next dog is going to be. My last dog was actually a shih tzu, who I adopted when her original owner, our neighbor, passed away. Never actually thought about shih tzus before, but it was just the right place and the right time. I love shih tzus now.

Not pets per se...but I was surprised to see a family of grey foxes living under one of my buildings several years ago. I got some leftover chicken, and coaxed these kits out for a 20 minute photo shoot. They were afraid, but they really wanted that chicken.

At first...this guy was pretty wary.

View attachment 5667

Then....he couldn't resist the treat.

View attachment 5668

Pretty soon, his siblings got involved

View attachment 5669

Continued below

OMG look at those adorable little faces! I could just cuddle them.

Back