Got Pets?

We have a herd of goats, some chickens, rabbits, guinea pigs, 3 cats, 2 dogs, and probably a bit over 50 fish...

We also have a few barn cats but the count changes.
I had quite a herd of goats when I lived in Vt. Fish? Koi? Or a fish tank(s)

Ugh. I don't even like dremeling parrot claws.... and neither do the parrots.
Goat hooves are rather soft, and easily trimmed with a utility knife. I used to put mine on the milking stand, and feed them. They'd kick once or twice, but it's really nothing like a horse. Especially if the grass is wet, the hoof is softer

Oh, yeah...I forgot about the fish.

This was taken in the summer. Click on it for a larger picture.

View attachment 5836

And more pictures of Cabot and Napoleon dealing with the cold. Click on them also.

View attachment 5837

View attachment 5838
How many gallons is your pond? I made a fountain for the little lady. We put a bunch of goldfish in. I'd say the pond is about 50 gallons. We have three fish left, and they're about 6 inches long!

I'll post pics when I get to the other computer.

How many gallons is your pond? I made a fountain for the little lady. We put a bunch of goldfish in. I'd say the pond is about 50 gallons. We have three fish left, and they're about 6 inches long!

Our fish pond is pretty big...a kind of kidney shaped one that I dug and lined myself.

I'd estimate about 900 gallons. (It's about 15' x 4' x 2 1//2' in depth.)

Got mostly goldfish...decent sized; some shubukin. We had some koi, but they were not able to withstand the winters here. I keep a heater in the pond during the winter...but that just keeps a melted hole for some oxygen intake and doesn't actually warm the water. The goldfish, strangely enough...last for years and years. Some of ours are 15 years old. Beautiful, huge tails.

100_1318.jpg

Give it a click.

We were "gifted" a red eared slider, by a relative, and when he gets bigger, I'm going to build an outdoor pond for it and put some goldfish and coolie loachs in it, to help keep the water clean.
I'm going to enclose it with wire and cover it, to keep the predatory birds out.

Our fish pond is pretty big...a kind of kidney shaped one that I dug and lined myself.

I'd estimate about 900 gallons. (It's about 15' x 4' x 2 1//2' in depth.)

Got mostly goldfish...decent sized; some shubukin. We had some koi, but they were not able to withstand the winters here. I keep a heater in the pond during the winter...but that just keeps a melted hole for some oxygen intake and doesn't actually warm the water. The goldfish, strangely enough...last for years and years. Some of ours are 15 years old. Beautiful, huge tails.

View attachment 5903

Give it a click.
Yep...I have one of those heaters. They're meant for livestock watering troughs, so they only keep the water at 34 degrees. I stop feeding when the temp goes below 50 degrees. My pond is small enough where the heater will keep it melted, but the fish don't care if I let it freeze, and just open an air hole every few days. Do you do anything for the algae in the summer? I'm told the green water is really healthy for the fish, but I'd like to see them!

Every few days, I pump the pond water into my gardens, and refill with a hose as the water pumps out. It stays clear for less than a day.

From a few years ago

DSC_0004.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
We had a tiny backyard pond when we lived in STL, with goldfish. One morning when I went out to feed them they didn't come up to get their food. Found little orange scales everywhere along the edge. :~(

We had a tiny backyard pond when we lived in STL, with goldfish. One morning when I went out to feed them they didn't come up to get their food. Found little orange scales everywhere along the edge. :~(
A few years ago, before the fish got so long, we lost one to a frog. You can see the frogs moved into the pond in the picture above. One day I saw a much larger frog in the pond, and I knew I had to get him out. Sucker was tough to catch. One day I saw one of the fish hanging out of his mouth. GF was PISSED. She wanted me to kill the scumbag.

He was easy to catch with the large fish hanging out of his mouth. I relocated the fuck to a nearby pond.

DSC_0012.jpg

do they make it through the winter outside?
They don't digest food when the temp gets below 50 degrees. They don't eat all winter. In the spring, I know they're ready to eat when they start eating the algae off of the sides of the liner.

A few years ago, before the fish got so long, we lost one to a frog. You can see the frogs moved into the pond in the picture above. One day I saw a much larger frog in the pond, and I knew I had to get him out. Sucker was tough to catch. One day I saw one of the fish hanging out of his mouth. GF was PISSED. She wanted me to kill the scumbag.

He was easy to catch with the large fish hanging out of his mouth. I relocated the fuck to a nearby pond.

View attachment 5908

Yikes. That sucker is huge.

Back