Groups to 'out' those who sign petition against same-sex unions

Cancel 2018. 3

<-- sched 2, MJ sched 1

group called WhoSigned.org says it will publicize the names of people signing petitions for Referendum 71, which seeks a public vote to overturn a new expansion of Washington's same-sex partnerships.

WhoSigned.org says it's partnering with the gay rights group KnowThyNeighbor.org to put the names online.

In a statement Monday, WhoSigned.org says it expects people who see the names online to contact the signers for what may be uncomfortable talks about gay rights.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009286787_webpartnership01.html

does anyone here support this disturbing development?

Of course it's disturbing. This won't help their cause and many voters will be livid

group called WhoSigned.org says it will publicize the names of people signing petitions for Referendum 71, which seeks a public vote to overturn a new expansion of Washington's same-sex partnerships.

WhoSigned.org says it's partnering with the gay rights group KnowThyNeighbor.org to put the names online.

In a statement Monday, WhoSigned.org says it expects people who see the names online to contact the signers for what may be uncomfortable talks about gay rights.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009286787_webpartnership01.html

does anyone here support this disturbing development?

LOL Where do I sign up?

Come on gay boy, call me. Better yet, ring the door bell. :pke:

I'm hoping gay rights groups organize protests outside the homes of everyone who signed these petitions in much the same way the abortion retards protest doctors in front of their homes on residential streets.

Seriously, this is so awesome.

If you're ashamed to have your name on the petition, then you know it's wrong.

I'm pretty sure petitions are publicly accessible records anyway as per Washington state initiative laws. The group is just publicly publishing them.

you're such a hack Ib...its called voter intimidation....its wrong no matter who does it. their sole purpose is to intimidate voters, that you support this is no surprise, but i know if republicans did it you would be against it hack

the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which states in Section 11(b) that "No person … shall intimidate, threaten, or coerce … any person for voting or attempting to vote."

Correct. And political calls are exempt from the do not call list :D

All legal and such. Just a bunch of whiners complaining.

you're such a hack Ib...its called voter intimidation....its wrong no matter who does it. their sole purpose is to intimidate voters, that you support this is no surprise, but i know if republicans did it you would be against it hack

the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which states in Section 11(b) that "No person … shall intimidate, threaten, or coerce … any person for voting or attempting to vote."

They're not intimidating anyone's vote. They're publishing a list of names of people who signed petitions that are already in the public record.

I'd be proud to have my name on the petition FOR civil union rights, which I signed in Washington. Why would anyone be ashamed of their opinions unless they know they were being bigots?

It is a political call and not even prevented by the Do not call laws.

are you actually going to sit there and claim they have no intention of intimidating the voters? yes or no

i am well aware at this point their actions, unfortunately, appear to be legal. the entire goal of making this public is to put fear in some voters to NOT sign the petitions....IMO, that should be against the law as it violates the voting act.

They're not intimidating anyone's vote. They're publishing a list of names of people who signed petitions that are already in the public record.

I'd be proud to have my name on the petition FOR civil union rights, which I signed in Washington. Why would anyone be ashamed of their opinions unless they know they were being bigots?

so their goal is not to get people to change their vote? yes or no....

and you missed this moron...

don't be stupid and deny that some people will in fact see this as a threat

are you actually going to sit there and claim they have no intention of intimidating the voters? yes or no

i am well aware at this point their actions, unfortunately, appear to be legal. the entire goal of making this public is to put fear in some voters to NOT sign the petitions....IMO, that should be against the law as it violates the voting act.

Like the right wing voter calls I got that tried to make me afraid of another 911 style attack and such.

Or the ones I got from the NRA trying to make me afraid "they are going to take our guns away"?

In 1992, the DOJ asserted that you can intimidate voters by mail. It filed suit after North Carolina Republicans and the Jesse Helms campaign sent postcards to black voters with warnings about the penalties for voter fraud. The case was settled with a consent decree that banned "ballot security" programs "directed at qualified voters in which the racial minority status of some or all of the voters is one of the factors in the decision to target those voters."

http://www.slate.com/id/2109096/

nothing illegal was done there....just reminding voters about voter fraud

i wonder if one could make an analogous case to what is happening here. i think the intent matters. and here, intent is clear, these assholes know that some people will in fact be intimidated by having their names published and be further intimidated by potential harrassing phone calls. there is simply no other reason than intimidation.

that you hacks support this is bizarre

Like the right wing voter calls I got that tried to make me afraid of another 911 style attack and such.

Or the ones I got from the NRA trying to make me afraid "they are going to take our guns away"?

apples/oranges....they aren't specifically targeting you based on a petition and they aren't specifically saying they are goign to have "uncomfortable" discussions with you....eg., threatening you ahead of time that if your name is on the petition, we will publish it and have people call you

Back