Half of gun deaths are suicides

The only way you can know this for sure is to have someone who tried it tell you that it was an impulse attempt.

But anyone who tries to commit suicide with a gun and does not succeed is not trying very hard.

I never liked the concept of an "impulse suicide". It implies that people know when someone started thinking of suicide. There is no way to tell when someone starts thinking or planning a suicide.

How many people have said of a recent suicide "But they are not the type that kills themself" or "But they were always so happy".

Ultimately, no one knows how happy or unhappy someone really is. We only know what they show us or tell us.

Well I dunno. It's not exactly about happiness.

I know I tried to kill myself the first two years of high school because I was feeling lonely. My second two years I met this girl and we became friends and there was huge and completely unrequited love there. I was completely and totally miserable but I pretty much lost any desire to kill myself.

Well I dunno. It's not exactly about happiness.

I know I tried to kill myself the first two years of high school because I was feeling lonely. My second two years I met this girl and we became friends and there was huge and completely unrequited love there. I was completely and totally miserable but I pretty much lost any desire to kill myself.

It may not be about unhappiness, but no one who is happy is suicidal.

The truly messed up part is that true clinical depression almost always ruins your ability to plan and make a decision like suicide. So the fact that they accomplish it means they were getting better.

The truly messed up part is that true clinical depression almost always ruins your ability to plan and make a decision like suicide. So the fact that they accomplish it means they were getting better.

Yeah that's actually a problem with antidepressants. But I've never been clinically depressed anyway.

Hmm a strange point there...

Hmm a strange point there...

It's actually been noted before.

Depressants are often too depressed to even contemplate suicide, and the anti-depressants pull them out of that just enough to make them kill themselves. Anti-depressants in some cases increase risk of suicide.

They come out of it enough to realize how screwed up they are ? Kind of like ex bushies becoming independents ? but without the head in the oven.

Who the fuck cares? Some of you are so fucking obsessed with getting rid of guns now we have to get rid of them cause people hurt THEMSELVES with them. Fuck sake, 31,000 deaths in a land with 280 million guns? It's not even statistically significant. Give it a rest already. YOur side lost, our side won, law abiding stable americans get to own guns. Free societies are not always safe. Christ my bet is most of you that oppose gun ownership are all in favor of legalizing drugs. Well news fucking flash, people kill themselves with drugs on purpose and by accident all the fucking time! MOST of us use them responsibly but fuck lets throw everyone in prison because a few people can't follow the rules! This is the mindset that led to prohibition.

Stable americans ? You mean the ones who did not vote for Bush ?

then the extreme lefties too. does not leave a lot of ground.

Just who are Stable Americans ? The majority that wanted us to invade Iraq ?
The traitors that said no ?
the spouse or child abusers ? Alcholics ? Drug users ?
And who decides who is stable ? Brent says I am nuts :D

Who the fuck cares? Some of you are so fucking obsessed with getting rid of guns now we have to get rid of them cause people hurt THEMSELVES with them. Fuck sake, 31,000 deaths in a land with 280 million guns? It's not even statistically significant. Give it a rest already. YOur side lost, our side won, law abiding stable americans get to own guns. Free societies are not always safe. Christ my bet is most of you that oppose gun ownership are all in favor of legalizing drugs. Well news fucking flash, people kill themselves with drugs on purpose and by accident all the fucking time! MOST of us use them responsibly but fuck lets throw everyone in prison because a few people can't follow the rules! This is the mindset that led to prohibition.

Very few drugs will actually kill you even if you take like ten times the recommended dosage.

The only drug in your cabinet that will probably do that in your cabinet is tylenol, and not many suiciders know that.

Your post just shows how little rationality is left inside the decomposed and lunatic brains of gun nuts.

Unintentional fatal drug overdoses nearly doubled from 1999 to 2004 and were the second leading cause of accidental death in the United States in 2004, behind only automobile crashes, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Deaths from accidental overdoses increased to 19,838 in 2004, from 11,155 in 1999, according to the CDC report, which was based on death certificate information (which does not detail which drugs were used). However, researchers believe the increasing misuse of prescription drugs by those ages 15 to 24 accounts for the majority of the statistic.

From here

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/prescription/a/overdose.htm

Hydrocodone works pretty well. It also has large doses of tylenol in it and just sort of shuts down your breathing.

A rope works.

Pointing a fake gun at a cop.

Many ways to do it.

Hydrocodone works pretty well. It also has large doses of tylenol in it and just sort of shuts down your breathing.

A rope works.

Pointing a fake gun at a cop.

Many ways to do it.

If I decide to go I am going up on the top of a tall building and stand on the ledge until a crowd gathers. Then I am doing a swan dive. But I am launching myself as hard as I can. I want to make it to the crowd and either take a few gawkers with me or splatter a dozen with bits of me.

cue to MASH theme song now....

Through early morning fog I see

visions of the things to be

the pains that are withheld for me

I realize and I can see...

[REFRAIN]:

that suicide is painless

It brings on many changes

and I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make

all our little joys relate

without that ever-present hate

but now I know that it's too late, and...

[REFRAIN]

The game of life is hard to play

I'm gonna lose it anyway

The losing card I'll someday lay

so this is all I have to say.

[REFRAIN]

The only way to win is cheat

And lay it down before I'm beat

and to another give my seat

for that's the only painless feat.

[REFRAIN]

The sword of time will pierce our skins

It doesn't hurt when it begins

But as it works its way on in

The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...

[REFRAIN]

A brave man once requested me

to answer questions that are key

is it to be or not to be

and I replied 'oh why ask me?'

[REFRAIN]

'Cause suicide is painless

it brings on many changes

and I can take or leave it if I please.

...and you can do the same thing if you please.

Last edited:
It's actually been noted before.

Depressants are often too depressed to even contemplate suicide, and the anti-depressants pull them out of that just enough to make them kill themselves. Anti-depressants in some cases increase risk of suicide.

Quite correct. One important aspect of clinical depression is a profound loss of energy; it's far from just mood. On the way down, if the person is so inclined, the suicidal ideation takes form and can even become an obsession. At that point, as you've said, the patient simply doesn't have the energy, is too lethargic to actually carry it out. The first effect of an antidepressant seems to be a restoration of energy. The therapeutic lag for nearly all, if not all, antidepressants even today is between two and three weeks. That means that the effects on mood and perceptions lag far behind the return of energy, and it's during this phase that, if it's going to happen, the patient will attempt suicide.

Well, one of the "gun freaks who've been posting joyous celebrations" was at lunch with his wife. If anyone is ever on the east side of Atlanta, I wholeheartedly recommend Journey's End for lunch. Delicious southern cuisine.

The number of suicides by gun doesn't really mean anything to our celebrations. If someone wants to commit suicide they are going to commit suicide. The lack of an available gun won't stop them. It might make the suicide less messy, depending on how they do it, but it wouldn't stop them.

Actually hadn't considered you a gun freak.

The astronomical numbers of suicide says that people with guns kill themselves more often that they use a gun toi defend themselves .. and they kill people they know more than they kill people they don't.

So I'm of the opinion .. who cares .. let them have their guns so they can continue to murder people they know, ie; spouses, lovers, and relatives and friends they're mad at .. and of course, themselves.

Supreme Court rules in favor of gun love .. who cares?

The astronomical numbers of suicide says that people with guns kill themselves more often that they use a gun toi defend themselves .. and they kill people they know more than they kill people they don't.

So I'm of the opinion .. who cares .. let them have their guns so they can continue to murder people they know, ie; spouses, lovers, and relatives and friends they're mad at .. and of course, themselves.

I think thats a compliment. I'm a gun buff. I enjoy target shooting, hunting and plinking. (sounds like I should add "long walks on the beach..")

I don't think that literally all of the gun deaths would be displaced. I don't think any of you really do.

The question is, how much will be displaced? None of us know that. Our guestimations will be wildly off 100% of the time.

That underlined bolded statement you made is utter and complete bullshit. You can't find a stat that backs that up and I have REPEATEDLY posted numbers that show conservatively 800,000 people per year use guns to defend themselves. Most people never fire their weapons. But you make that comment out of shear need for fear. I CHALLENGE you to find credible numbers that say more people kill themselves with guns than defend themselves. You absolutely cannot do it.

Back