Hardline Sunni cleric willing to meet

Sir Evil

Megalocon, The Evil Dick
CAIRO, Egypt - A prominent hardline Iraqi Sunni cleric said Friday he was willing to meet with top Shiite religious leaders to end sectarian violence and help move
Iraq out of its internal crisis.

"We are ready to meet anybody who is sincere, and desires good things for Iraq and for Iraqis, in particular the supreme religious leadership in Iraq," Harith al-Dhari, leader of the Association of Muslim Scholars, said on Al-Jazeera television.

By supreme religious leadership, al-Dhari was apparently referring to Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, Iraq's most prominent Shiite cleric.

LINKY

Just a little tidbit for those who say the tribes would not see eye to eye for a cause

I'll believe it when I see it.... and I'll believe it is effective when the sectarian violence comes to an end.

I'll believe it when I see it.... and I'll believe it is effective when the sectarian violence comes to an end.

That really was'nt the point of the post sir, I was merely pointing out that they will discuss an issue here. Many here claim that the two hate each other so much that they would never come together for anything. I say if they can come together to stop killing each other, I'm certain they can come together for other issues as well.

I don't see where THEY will discuss anything. the sunni says he's willing. Sistani ain't said shit, or did I miss something here?

You in a bad mood tonight maine?

Perhaps they never talk but one side has agreed, that's a step closer away from never.

no doubt.... but it is light years away from a "vibrant multi-cultural democracy shining like a beacon of freedom illuminating all the dark places in the Islamic world" which is what Bush promised us he would deliver.

I asked you if you were in a bad mood....where's the love?:cof1:

Ok, I see what you are saying but that was not my "aha told ya so" idea.
my "aha told you so" idea was more about what happens if they do get past their own ideaologies for a different cause, see what I am getting at now?

I do...and I admire your hopefulness.... sunnis and shiites in Iraq have been sworn enemies for a long long time...shiites, even though the majority, were totally subjegated and fucked over by Saddam and his sunni pals. I don't see this violence ending just because one cleric says he wants to talk.... or even because two clerics DO talk.

I do...and I admire your hopefulness.... sunnis and shiites in Iraq have been sworn enemies for a long long time...shiites, even though the majority, were totally subjegated and fucked over by Saddam and his sunni pals. I don't see this violence ending just because one cleric says he wants to talk.... or even because two clerics DO talk.

You are learning me a bit more on the factions but again I'm more concerned that the coming together if it should ever happen sparks a bigger concern, the spreading of extremism even if only slightly.

I think extremism is a byproduct of the socio-economic condition. I doubt that terrorism would find many adherents if there were socio-economic equity.

This is liike a bad movie, you've seen multiple times. I've been reading for two years, about how the sunnis and shias are "talking".

Of course some of them are talking. Not everbody in Iraq wants to die in a civil war.

Only of Fox News could this possibly be touted as some sort of milestone of progress (thanks to Bush, of course)..

Nah, ya think? I think it has to be more than just that,and if equity existed would'nt ya think it would be all the more better from a extremist point of view?

I don't see where THEY will discuss anything. the sunni says he's willing. Sistani ain't said shit, or did I miss something here?

The Bushies have reached the bottom of the barrel. The last line of defense: Bush's new justifcation for the iraq war: "Well, it could be worse..."

Bush's New Iraq Argument: "It Could Be Worse"

By Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 24, 2006; Page A01

Of all the words that President Bush used at his news conference this week to defend his policies in Iraq, the one that did not pass his lips was "progress."

For three years, the president tried to reassure Americans that more progress was being made in Iraq than they realized. But with Iraq either in civil war or on the brink of it, Bush dropped the unseen-progress argument in favor of the contention that things could be even worse.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/23/AR2006082301878.html

The Bushies have reached the bottom of the barrel. The last line of defense: Bush's new justifcation for the iraq war: "Well, it could be worse..."

Here we go, Input from the peanut gallery trying to make it all about bush.

My point of discussion is nothing to do with iraq but so long as you are wearing your playdoh mask you would'nt of known that.

Now, can someone quote this so this guy might remove the mudflap hiding his vagina, and maybe step into a debat about something like a man?

:cool:

Nah, ya think? I think it has to be more than just that,and if equity existed would'nt ya think it would be all the more better from a extremist point of view?
no...I really think that the west having it all and the arab world being under the thumb of oil royalty and despots has created a climate of despair that is fertile soil for extremists

Just so you know, it's not the only one:

http://iraqpundit.blogspot.com/2006/08/mean-streets.html

Thursday, August 24, 2006
Mean Streets
So in the last few days WaPo ran a story asserting that "the debate is over" and the Iraqi Civil War is officially raging, and the NYT ran a story claiming that "by almost all measures," Iraq's insurgency is getting worse. So how is it that people in Baghdad are telling ABC News that they feel safer than they've felt in a long time?

“I’m happy because we’re safe,” said a man who lives in Dora, a Baghdad neighborhood. “Stores are open and we can move around freely.”

Turns out that, news of the Apocalypse notwithstanding, there's apparently been a significant decline in Baghdad street violence this month, including both criminal and political attacks. At least that's what U.S. and Iraqi officials are claiming. While it's reasonable to take a skeptical view of such claims like these, it's just as reasonable to be skeptical of the U.S. media's reports about the state of the city. As for me, I put my bet on the Baghdadis.

Here's what's going on. The U.S. military has increased its presence in Baghdad in order to rein in the murders, kidnappings and other criminal violent activity that has been plaguing the capital. (This security program does not address car bombings.) Some 5,000 extra troops moved in two weeks ago, and joined with thousands of Iraqi troops to do door-to-door sweeps in a series of dangerous neighborhoods.

The result, according to ABC news, is “encouraging.” The network reported that in the last two weeks, there has been a significant decline in violent attacks. The Iraqi ministry of defense says that violent attacks were down 30 percent, the U.S. military says the violence was down 22 percent, and both agree the numbers are preliminary.

ABC 's report focused on the Dora neighborhood, a mostly Sunni area. According to that report, July was a very bloody month in Dora, with as many as 20 people killed there every day. Stores closed, and people were afraid to leave their homes. In the last 14 days, however, there has been just one killing, and normal activity has resumed.

The Associated Press has reported similar results from a different neighborhood. On August 16th, early in the process, the west Baghdad area of Amariyah, which is also a Sunni-majority community, was reportedly secured in a house-to-house security sweep that lasted three days.

"Since we began the operation, not one person from Amariyah has died, not one act of violence has occurred," a U.S. officer told the AP at the time. "We have demonstrated that it can be done,"

In eastern Baghdad, an Iraqi is in charge of the security campaign. Gen. Bashar Mahmood Ayoub told the BBC that (as the Beeb paraphrased it), "the number of killings and kidnappings has been reduced a lot in the past month."

"While there may be a dramatic drop in violence in some neighbourhoods at the moment," notes the BBC, American officials are concerned "that some of the death squads might simply have moved elsewhere to escape the security net." That's may well be true, though there are as yet no reports of death-squad activities in areas where they had not been active before.

In the meantime, the lives of many Baghdadis are improving, at least for now. Indeed, to borrow a phrase from the apocalyptic NYT, if their lives haven't improved "by almost all measures," they've improved by the most important one. Perhaps, to echo WaPo, the debate's not quite over after all.

Update: David Ignatius walks down Baghdad's mean streets, too (Aug. 25). "In the past three weeks," he writes, "the U.S. military has killed about 25 death squad leaders, and captured more than 200," according to the officer leading the sweep.

posted by IraqPundit at 9:28 AM

I bet you hope it fails. :)

A successful, peaceful Iraq would put the final nail in your party's coffin.

that is insulting (which really is the only type of discourse you do well)

A successful peaceful Iraq would mean that no more Americans would have t die there.

I am sorely tempted to put you on ignore, you annoying twit.

Admittedtly it would'nt bother me all too much! These people killing each other for what? let them kill themselves so the others may find peace in their future.

Back